It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10 Shocking Facts About Global Slavery in 2008 that You (Probabbly) Didn't Know

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   
This might be 3 years late but I'm pretty sure situations regarding global slavery has definitely not gotten any better. I was most shocked that slavery still exists in the US.

Source

1. There are more people in slavery now than at any other time in human history.

Free the Slaves .net

27 Million slaves exists today around the world. More than 5 million are in Asian regions. 500,000 - 5 Million in Africa, South America, and Central America. Less than 500,000 in North America, Europe, and Russia.

Modern Slavery Map

From Freedom Center.org www.freedomcenter.org...

Slavery still exists today. Whether it is called human trafficking, bonded labor, forced labor, or sex trafficking, it is present worldwide, including within the United States and, increasingly, in your local community. An estimated 12 - 27 million people are caught in one or another form of slavery. Between 600,000 and 800,000 are trafficked internationally, with as many as 17,500 people trafficked into the United States. Nearly three out of every four victims are women. Half of modern-day slaves are children.

2. The value of slaves has decreased.

A slave in 1850 in American South cost the equivalent of approximately $40,000. According to figures published by FST, the cost of a slave today averages around $90, depending on the work they are forced to carry out. Photo by saibotregeel A young adult male laborer in Mali might only fetch $40, whereas an HIV-free female might attract a price of up to $1000.

3. Slavery still exists in the US.

Estimates by the US State Department suggest up to 17,500 slaves are brought into the US every year, with 50,000 of those working as prostitutes, farm workers or domestic servants. According to the CIA, more than 1,000,000 people are enslaved in the US today. Thousands of cases go undetected each year and many are difficult to take to court as it can be difficult to prove force or legal coercion.

4.Slavery is hidden behind many other names, thus disguising it from society.

These names are chattel slavery (the traditional meaning of slavery), bonded labor, trafficking, forced labor, and forced marriage, amongst others.

5. The least known method of slavery is the most widely used.

Bonded Labor occurs when labor is demanded in order to repay a debt or loan and the cyclical nature of debt and work can enslave the person for the rest of their life.

6. Human trafficking has recently been described as “the fastest growing criminal enterprise in the world.”

This shocking claim was made by former Secretary of State, Madeleine Albright. The UN estimates trafficked human cargo generates around $7 billion dollars a year.

7. To buy all bonded laborers out of slavery could cost as little as $40 per family.

8. Free the Slaves believe it is possible to end all slavery within 25 years.

I highly doubt that would ever happen.

9. Many slave-produced goods might reach your home without you realizing their origin.

Industries where slave labor is often highly suspected include cocoa, cotton, steel, oriental rugs, diamonds and silk. Currently the only way to ensure the products you buy are slave-free is to buy Fair Trade certified goods.

10. Your actions affect global slavery.
By buying fair trade, learning more about modern slavery, spreading the word, and joining a movement such as Free the Slaves, Anti-Slavery International, or the American Anti-slavery group, you as an individual can help abolish slavery completely.

I hoped that this tread has brought to some the much awareness needed regarding the existence of global slavery that still exists today.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   
You can purchase another human being for $90! Or a family for $40 in some places?!?!?! This sounds like a whole lot of over-exaggeration to me. At least, I sincerely hope so. 27 million people in active slavery? Wow! Again, I hope these are highly inflated numbers.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Where can I buy a slave?

Is there a slaves-r-us website so I can review the return policy?

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Very good thread, star and flag

You still have to remember the "slaves" making your iphones and electrical related gear in china.
There treated horribly and with minimal pay

Its more then just a "fair trade" sticker that ends slavery, even the most seeming legit companies can be responsible.

We as consumers are also to blame, we want cheap goods and as a result labor is acquired cheaply aswell.

As sad as it is, I doubt we will ever be able to eliminate slavery

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by sicksonezer0
Where can I buy a slave?

Is there a slaves-r-us website so I can review the return policy?

It's apathetic people like you that perpetuate this cycle. Don't joke about it if you're not doing anything to prevent it.

top topics

join