It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lust and dreams is there a difference?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Ah finally, back at home in the philosophy zone.

Now is there a difference between lusting and dreaming. Lets first look at what they have in common and then see if we can take it apart. When you lust you want something. and also when you dream you want something. I think both can be ascribed with having deep passion for something or wanting that something to come to fruition.

(now I was just thinking about this now because I have most of what I wanted to say down in notes but I wonder can lust be more of needs base more then wants like dreams like are??)

I think the difference is that when you lust after something, someone you want that something, someone so much that it consumes you. You also may become destructive to others around you and most importantly yourself, while trying to obtain your lust.

Now when you dream yes you want that something, someone but you can wait for it and be patient that your dream will come true.

It is also interesting if you want to take a religious aspect from it to by saying that hey lust is a sin right? So wait a minute god I can;t want to have anything? I can;t have a certain attraction to a particualiar item whether or not it is for a virtuious reason or not?

To but these things in a little context. I think that jealously is a form of lust and hope is a form of dreams.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by American-philosopher

In my opinion, lusting is done willingly.
Dreaming you cant control.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Lust seems to speak of an unhealthy desire to obtain the object of one's lust, that perhaps goes beyond the boundaries of morality. Selfish in action and deed, where a craving spurs one to even be willing to cause negative effects upon others to achieve that which is so desired.

Dreams are a vision of what we would like. We might lust after that which we dream of or we may just hope for it.

I have dreams, but I would never be prepared to hurt others in order to achieve that which I dreamed of!!!

" I have a dream"!!! Yes MLK!

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by houseoftheangels

I took the title of the thread too literal I guess.
You guys hit it on the head though.
Lust is a sin.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by American-philosopher
Ah finally, back at home in the philosophy zone.

Now is there a difference between lusting and dreaming. Lets first look at what they have in common and then see if we can take it apart. When you lust you want something. and also when you dream you want something. I think both can be ascribed with having deep passion for something or wanting that something to come to fruition.

I don't see the connection here, but I'll humor your argument. First of all what type of dreaming are we talking about? Do you mean fantasizing (day-dreaming), or the dreams you have at night? If you mean the dreams we have at night, then I will have to disagree as I sometimes dream about a lot of things I don't ever want to see happen.

(now I was just thinking about this now because I have most of what I wanted to say down in notes but I wonder can lust be more of needs base more then wants like dreams like are??)

I think the difference is that when you lust after something, someone you want that something, someone so much that it consumes you. You also may become destructive to others around you and most importantly yourself, while trying to obtain your lust.

Now when you dream yes you want that something, someone but you can wait for it and be patient that your dream will come true.

Again, are you talking about lusting vs. day-dreaming? In that case if you're day-dreaming about someone, you're lusting after them. Intensity of your activity will depend on how lustful of an individual you are. There are some people who can lust without being destructive to themselves or to anyone else around them, and then there are individuals who's strong and obsessive personality can lead them to do crazy things to attain the object of their desire. Serial killers and repeat sex offenders for example are individuals who do commit horrible things in order to satisfy their own lust.

It is also interesting if you want to take a religious aspect from it to by saying that hey lust is a sin right? So wait a minute god I can;t want to have anything? I can;t have a certain attraction to a particualiar item whether or not it is for a virtuious reason or not?

To but these things in a little context. I think that jealously is a form of lust and hope is a form of dreams.

I'm assuming you're talking about Christianity and the seven deadly sins/10 commandments. The seven deadly sins describe human emotions that can become destructive if taken to the extreme. For an individual who has little to no control over him/herself, these act as terrible temptations which can cause strife among family and friends. Gluttony can cause you to become obese and therefore unhealthy. Envy can cause you to treat the person you're envious of unfairly, etc. etc. Anything taken to the extreme will be damaging to you, and potentially to those around you. There's nothing wrong with wanting things or feeling a little bit jealous as long as you retain control of yourself and make decisions that keep you out of trouble.
edit on 13-4-2011 by 2manyquestions because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Lust is (mostly) improper sexual desire. This leads to all the perversions of sex that there is, including adultery. So if you want to compare the two, I say it's a perversion of dreams. You may also want to look at "gluttony" because it can easily overlap with lust.

It's also good to look at what's the opposite of Lust: Chastity; Purity, etc.

Abstaining from sexual conduct according to one's state in life; the practice of courtly love and romantic friendship. Cleanliness through cultivated good health and hygiene, and maintained by refraining from intoxicants. To be honest with oneself, one's family, one's friends, and to all of humanity. Embracing of moral wholesomeness and achieving purity of thought-through education and betterment. The ability to refrain from being distracted and influenced by hostility, temptation or corruption.

Dreams in their own right are fine. They're often goals to reach and lead to good things, give us hope as you said, and so on. But like mostly everything in the world, it can be twisted.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Are you talking about dreams, as in what happens during sleeping, or as a wishful desire? I assume you mean the second. On a general level, lusting and dreaming are similar in that they are both forms of desire and can create more illusions/suffering for us, however, it is not hard to see that there are definitive differences between the two. Generally lusting is far more destructive illusion to paint for yourself and those around you, than is dreaming (which is generally a more innocent/positive form of illusion). Neither will help you see clearly, but one (dreaming) may temporarily relieve the burden of stress.

Good question!

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by PoopDawg

In my opinion, lusting is done willingly.
Dreaming you cant control.

Well I was putting dreaming as when you dream of something you want not just when you are asleep.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Dreams are a vision of what we would like. We might lust after that which we dream of or we may just hope for it
reply to post by houseoftheangels

So let me ask you this. Was Hitlers desire a lust since we consider Hitler evil or bad or what have you. Was his world view a lust was his idea a lust. or was it a dream or a vision as you say?

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by 2manyquestions

First of all what type of dreaming are we talking about? Do you mean fantasizing (day-dreaming), or the dreams you have at night? If you mean the dreams we have at night, then I will have to disagree as I sometimes dream about a lot of things I don't ever want to see happen.

I am talking about the fantasizing (day dream) But lets go after your apporach, what if you dream about a woman at night in your dreams when your asleep say a woman you have a crush on. Is that a dream or is that lust. Now mind you I am sayig you are asleep and your conscious takes you there is thatlust or a dream?

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   
i think there is a difference; but i agree that the origination of dreams stems from emotion. the difference is that not all emotive feelings pertain to lust; but because emotive feelings are beyond the scope of expressive representation you could reach a conclusion that AN emotive feeling is the cursor to all expressive representation even though there are different emotive feelings that originate from the same "location".

in the microscope of what you are asking they are the same within different perceptions of "reality": a lusted object will be acquired, and as you noting in your closing sentence in op; a hoped dream will manifest.

new topics

top topics

join