It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

America the "kindness" country according to OECD

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Having lived in this country for 38 years now why do I find this hard to believe?

The study by the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) found that found that Britons are kinder, more generous and more eager to help others.
The top five in the "kindness league table" was America, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand and Britain.
It was based on "pro-social behaviour", such as whether people volunteered, gave money to charity or helped a stranger in the last month.
This included helping an old lady with her shopping or teaching children to read.

The majority in this country seem to be preoccupied with celebrity worship, fashion trends, cars, phones, boats, houses and the size of their television.
When I tried to find some more articles on this I could only find this one:

Americans are the world's biggest givers and takers: U.S. tops obesity and kindness poll

Are they just making us all out to being gracious givers to the rest of the world or are they trying to make us look like kind fat pigs? You know like Wilber in Charlottes Web.
The other thing I find a little bit irritating is that Briton came in 5th but all the articles found but the one above were about them.
What's going on?

Sources:
Daily Mail
The River Group
The Telegraph

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Canada is the lowest ranked English-speaking country reaching just seventh place.
In a KINDNESS poll?

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Western Countries are for sure still the kindest and most benevolent. All kinds of social problems, but generous as a whole.

America??? Wonderful open people and still the wild west, haha!

I really want to visit. Hope I get the chance to see that vast crazy Country.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by AnteBellum

Are they just making us all out to being gracious givers to the rest of the world or are they trying to make us look like kind fat pigs?

Well, I am 310 lbs, I give ALOT, after all I am a giver. I think you just uncovered that "fat pigs" are the ones who give the most.!!

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnteBellum
Having lived in this country for 38 years now why do I find this hard to believe?
The study by the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) found that found that Britons are kinder, more generous and more eager to help others.
The top five in the "kindness league table" was America, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand and Britain.
It was based on "pro-social behaviour", such as whether people volunteered, gave money to charity or helped a stranger in the last month.

Idk why you find it hard to believe...... The united states isn't exactly small..... so theres bound to be people that fall on all areas of the human sectrum; morals, personality, and what they have to give. If you seriously feel that you can go out into a crowd of people downtown and automatically feel that you cannot believe that possible of any of the people then I find it kind of saddening that you've grown into such a world that you think all americans all inherently the same selfish inconsiderate type of person. Which makes me wonder if you've just not managed to find people that would make you feel otherwise...... cause if you had then it would be rather weird for you to make a topic about doubting the kindness of the average american when you've got a handful of people you consider to be people you can count on, at least thats one thing I consider makes a friend. T

oday I helped someone pushing a shopping cart pushing around recyclables, and it wasn't but a few weeks ago I did the same for a homeless man sitting outside the library. If anything I've actually seen reports that show americans are occasionally being taken advantage by people who aren't actually homeless, and just do that # because some of them claim to making in upwards of 20+$, even more, an hour..... however did that stop me from giving money to the guy who ask for help earlier today..... So who knows maybe whenever you think about americans being unthoughtful and not caring.... you can remember me :3

Originally posted by AnteBellumThis included helping an old lady with her shopping or teaching children to read.

The majority in this country seem to be preoccupied with celebrity worship, fashion trends, cars, phones, boats, houses and the size of their television.

XD the most "worship" i do for a celebrity is to watch their movies, and laugh at the ones being stupid. I'm my own person wanting to etch my own image into the history books.... im not just some sad sheepish bastard like half the young kids trying to look like a hard-ass via the use of clothing styles of people who are "punks/rebels/thugs" yet at the same time don't want to be stereotyped as those they steal their image from. Some actually do develop their own style..... but it can be saddening how long it takes for some people to realize that they are just Complete biters.

Lol you think the majority of the country owns a boat? Damn you must have some kind of spare "hobby" cash. Wtf is wrong with people being passionate about cars? If people had been more passionate about them, then maybe they would of noticed how we are being force fed non-electric vehicles when more than around 20 years ago when they were trying tried to bring it into the light, only for the cars to get recalled and destroyed when they found ways around the laws that required the car companies in california to invest in the clean fuel. So don't be bugged if people like their car..... the more people actually start to care about what they are driving, the more likely they are going to start thinking about whats actually efficient...... I work as a delivery driver and i'm telling you..... watching the gas rise out here in california is Not pleasant.

I feel such an urge to create and produce art in multiple forms.... music, random crafts.... maybe you don't thus why you have such a bleak outlook on what you think other people are interested in. No one has the ability nor the right to try and pretend to know what the millions are thinking, the only people who can do that..... are the people themselves. You speak for yourself buddeh ^_^.

Originally posted by AnteBellumAmericans are the world's biggest givers and takers: U.S. tops obesity and kindness poll

Are they just making us all out to being gracious givers to the rest of the world or are they trying to make us look like kind fat pigs?

Who knows, maybe they are just trying to change the general stereotypes put upon the american people..... you know.... the people from that country that is made up of immigrants from EVERYWHERE.... and on a large scale....

People need to learn that it is impractical, illogical, and sometimes even rude to speak on the behalf of people you've never met, because no one likes having that done to themselves...... the golden rule of treating those how you want to be treated ya know. I know when I had my realizations of certain things when I was a bit younger on how wrong and unfair it was for me to judge people based on the actions of people who looked like them. Sadly there are to many people out there that claim they do not do this really ever...... I realized this years ago..... think about it constantly and still out of calculated instinct thoughts arise..... but I don't let the ones like you have be what i feel is the truth.... because I don't know everyone out there....... and they don't know me.

I hope you feel a little less bleak about your fellow mans intentions

new topics

top topics

join