It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Embracing Ignorance Here At ATS

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I apologize beforehand for the rant that follows, but I simply cannot sit here any longer without saying something.

It seems to me that ATS is in danger of becoming a wasteland of ignorance based on the types of threads AND their content lately.

Although I am relatively new here, (Summer of 2009) it seems to me that in the past 3 to 6 months it has been harder and harder to find ANY well thought out ideas, theories, etc, let alone documentable evidence to support what is being posted.

It seems that more and more often, threads are being posted with absolutely NO references backing up the OP claims, while having sensational titles/subjects.

Many threads are even misleading, often blatantly misquoting what people have actually said, and putting the poster's own undocumented spin on things.

It is astounding at how many of these threads/opinion pieces with nothing, NOTHING to back the claims up, get enormous amounts of stars and flags and quickly build in page length, and does nothing but waste the time of those of us that are truly attempting to DENY IGNORANCE.

Then there is the problem of repeated, out right mean-spirited insults and personal attacks that have suddenly become commonplace from many who seem to have an agenda to discredit those that are clearly trying to Deny Ignorance.

I am also chagrined by HOW MANY DUPLICATE THREADS are being allowed to stay on the boards, when the only difference between them is the title wording.

One cannot help but notice that many of these threads/posts are being made by new members, ie: members that have joined recently...say in the past 6 months and less.

What has happened to ATS???

This has been posited in the Deconstructing Disinformation Forum because, in my opinion, this is a conspiracy to destroy ATS!

I fear our sincere efforts to Deny Ignorance are being compromised by a slew of paid disinfo agents, deliberately trying to destroy one of the best internet websites of it's kind, and if something isn't done soon, this website will pass away into history along with all the other "Tin-Foil Hat" nut-case websites.

Please, ATS Mods and Admins, DONT let this happen to our truly 1 of a kind website!!!

Am I the ONLY one that has noticed this lately?

Am I the ONLY one that is concerned?

Rant over, Thanks for letting me vent.
Peace ELO

BTW if anyone wants to bemoan the fact that I have not posted any examples of what I am ranting about, be grateful I didnt single YOURS out as an example...all one has to do is take a look at the boards, the ATS Veterans know exactly what I am talking about.

edit on 13-4-2011 by Elostone because: for sepermeru

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Elostone

Swamp gas. or CGI, your spelling is off.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by prodomino

Was that supposed to be sardonically humourous? If so, might be a bit too dry.....

Because, I happen to think the OP is spot on....!

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
I totally agree with your rant accept for 1 part, as I am fairly new, and I will bet money, that the few posts I've started, will not have a duplicate! I understand the basic principles of a darn search!

LOL and shouldn't this be in the RANT section?
edit on 13-4-2011 by chiefsmom because: being a SmartA**

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   
This topic has already been posted.

Sorry I couldn't help myself.
I agree with you, and it takes a while to go through the latest say 8 hours worth of threads, which wouldn't be as bad if there weren't so many reposts and nonsense.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by prodomino

Swamp gas. or CGI, your spelling is off.

Thank you for proving my point
silly 2nd

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   

I would like to agree but to be honest I'm sick of this same type of thread almost every week..

Before bemoaning useless and repetitive threads maybe YOU should do a search..

Then you could post in one of the dozens on the same subject and bump it back onto the "recent posts" page..

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   

It seems that more and more often, threads are being posted with absolutely NO references backing up the OP claims, while having sensational titles/subjects. Many threads are even misleading, often blatantly misquoting what people have actually said, and putting the poster's own undocumented spin on things. It is astounding at how many of these threads/opinion pieces with nothing, NOTHING to back the claims up, get enormous amounts of stars and flags and quickly build in page length, and does nothing but waste the time of those of us that are truly attempting to DENY IGNORANCE. Then there is the problem of repeated, out right mean-spirited insults and personal attacks that have suddenly become commonplace from many who seem to have an agenda to discredit those that are clearly trying to Deny Ignorance. I am also chagrined by HOW MANY DUPLICATE THREADS are being allowed to stay on the boards, when the only difference between them is the title wording.

Don't forget the sheer number of posts that are just people copying and pasting something that was published on beforeitsnews without giving any sort of critique or opinion on it. Sadly you are not too far off (and I just joined last November.)

I would have to argue however that there are some here that would only have things posted that had reams of proof. By the very nature of conspiratorial topics however, sometimes the only "proof" is from dots that are connected based on a posters knowledge base (like occult ritual/numerology in false flag events for instance, which to somebody who doesn't believe in numerology or the occult would seem foolish but to somebody who has spent years studying esoteric topics would make sense.)

But backinblack does have a point:

I would like to agree but to be honest I'm sick of this same type of thread almost every week.. Before bemoaning useless and repetitive threads maybe YOU should do a search..

edit on 13-4-2011 by coyotepoet because: Adding quotes

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
I myself have just recently started posting on ATS. I can understand what the OP is talking about but to call this a conspiracy perpetrated by disinformation agents to destroy ATS is going a bit far. If anything disinfo agents have been posting on this site since its conception.

I think what is really going on is people are increasingly becoming more aware of the lies of the world governments and the main stream media, so people are flocking to alternative sources for information. And as many of us veterans of alternative theories know, when newly "awakened" people first start talking about this stuff they tell us theories we have known for years like: "Did you guys know, there are secret societies controlling the world!!" or "Vaccines are killing people" or "The government is lying to us".

Just recently Skeptic Overlord posted a thread showing us that the increase of views posts and so on have greatly increased within the last year. I think we are seeing just a new wave of people questioning the status quo. It is up to us to inform these new comers of what information is factual and what is just ludicrous.

This of course can only happen if the people on this site can actually carry on a civil debate without exploding on people for being ignorant or branding them as disinfo agents.
edit on 13-4-2011 by Openeye because: Spelling

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
some find a thread that was a good one to begin wit that was recieving lots o fattention and then try to take it and put their own spin on it to try to bump up their s+f numbers...and overtake theoriginal and take the credit for themselves...i know exactly what youre talking about op

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   

ATS has changed it seems there are more for the current establishment and laws. Then you have other who go way too far on the other side. This site used to be non judgemental and never would even think about support supporting someone like Donald Trump for president.
Then you have others that argue over basic common sense issues like helping others etc.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Denying ignorance...good.
Embracing openness...good.

Denying ignorance and embracing openness...not so good. It's good to welcome new members, but there are downsides as well.

ATS towards the beginning was arguably of a higher calibre. Better posts, smaller membership, more respect. ATS's purpose now is just to become bigger and bigger. intelligence isn't in the majority, but in the minority. Majority brings in more money though.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
IMHO
It is what you make it...
literally.
This applies to this sight especially because
it is user generated content.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   
I use to post here everyday.. I know exactly how you feel.. I don't know what's worse, The trolls, The useless "garbage threads", or of course the ignorant ATS staff..

Kinda sad, but the mod's drove me out, before the garbage got a chance too.. I just stop by and check the headlines now..

*shakes head* What a shame.. This use to be a great site.. I use to look forward to posting .. But now i can't even bring myself to bang out another post, or thread on this site..

Often times, i feel like a fool amongst idiots around here..

Edit to add: This thread is amongst the garbage i speak of by the way.. This is a conspiracy site, I have seen this thread posted here every day for the past 3 months..

Maybe the ATS staff should wake up and start working on some of these problems, that are obviously prevalent..

I come here to read about Conspiracy's.. Not about Pointless ramblings and rants..(such as threads about TV shows and who's watching what and why they watch it).. If i wanted entertainment news i would stop by facebook..

All these kind's of threads do is push relevant threads down the tube.. Everyone has a option.. So these kind's of threads will always get bumped..
edit on 13-4-2011 by TechVampyre because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   
yes, well, now that this has been effectively buried, I will continue on with my day and see if I cant find a fresher place to Deny Ignorance.
What a sham ATS has become.
-sigh-

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Where is your documentation backing up your claims?
Perhaps your thread and thread title is oversensationalized. Therefore I submit this thread as documentation that some members like to complain when their circle jerk posse fails to materialize.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   

I try not to be too paranoid, but I have to agree that the noise to signal ratio around here seems heavily weighted toward creating confusion.

In particular, I've noticed that the more credible and difficult to explain a reported event is, the more likely it seems to be that the thread discussing it will become rapidly cluttered with a combination of derisive dismissals which imply that not only is the subject false, anyone who even thinks about questioning it should be ridiculed, and the wildest, most out there assertions about magical fairies riding unicorns through the sky and how the subject is obviously proof of that.

It's curious how well these two tactics work together -- first you assert that only lunatics and fools would believe such a thing, then handily, some lunatics and fools come along to demonstrate what anyone seeking to seriously investigate will be associated with.

Please note that in many cases, I have nothing against lunatics, and a fool is only as bothersome as the fool being bothered by him. I know real people really do believe and say all kinds of amazing, beautiful junk that has little relationship with empirical reality. I like that about people. It makes life more interesting. But I also think there are those who exploit and manipulate this.

When it comes to disinformation within a community, the important thing to remember is that you don't need to invent a signal.

You just need to amplify what's already there.

You just need to multiply voices that already exist in order to give the impression of a stronger consensus. You just tweak the flow enough that the confusion and noise and pointlessness becomes a kind of barrier past which most normal people won't bother to venture. And whoever does can be discredited, because they're sure to be abnormal in some identifiable way.
edit on 13-4-2011 by sepermeru because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Yeah OP, I know what you mean. I haven't been here that long myself, but have noticed in the last few months that much of the content posted is just rubbish, that is usually evident once the thread title is read, or stuff that has been covered multiple times. I usually just check whatever forums my main interests lie and if I see something that catches my eye I read and if not, straight back out again! Really frustrating, as not long ago I could log on and spend hours reading quality posts that made sense and got their points across (whatever side they were on) and never have to worry about reading the same thing twice!

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
I'll probably get attacked for being too 'new' to have a viable opinion on this but oh well....

I totally agree, have seen exactly what you describe occurring just in the short time I have been on here this year.

Just my opinion.....as I began searching out alternative news sources I first came upon one of the worst who shall remain nameless *cough - GLP - cough* and then when I found ATS I was so thrilled with the quality of the threads, the thoughtfulness of the members, etc. Then I noticed that more and more of the threads / posts were very similar to the 'other' site and that duplicate threads were all over the place, no-quality threads were gaining top positions, members were flaming each other instead of contributing, etc. just as the OP called it.

Perhaps the recent increase in members / content has temporarily overwhelmed the site mods??

I've really stopped coming here much in the past few weeks except for a few quick checks to see if any exciting new threads have developed and to check a few older threads I find interesting.

Let's hope the site owners are paying attention (I'm sure they are, right?) and will work out a plan to prevent the site from devolving any further. From what (little) I know of the site owners, they would never let that happen.

edit on 13-4-2011 by buskey because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
I don't think it's a matter of the influx of people and not enough mods. It's more the people that have changed perhaps. ATS used to be a niche, now not as much.
edit on 13-4-2011 by Turq1 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join