It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What everyone agrees about God

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 07:15 AM
link   
reply to post by sprocket2cog

Is god not capable of stopping suffering of innocent creatures?

Even if some god appeared tomorrow and declared himself present, I would never worship a creature that would allow such suffering, rather I would spat in defiance of such a thing.

Epicurus was an atheist trapped in a time where declaring yourself such would have returned with massive consequences.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 07:35 AM
link   
I have always looked at it in the parent/child relationship.
Does it make me a bad mother when my child makes a mistake?
As parents there are times when we must "harm" our child (whether it be corporeal or time outs, saying no, etc) in order for them to learn something. I cannot be blamed for my mischievous child when I do the best I can to teach him and nurture him.
We all know what happens to the child who is never scolded, who gets everything he asks for.
And we know what happens to the child who is never loved or nurtured.

God is our parent.
God decided to create us.
God will guide us, just as we guide our children.
We must learn and grow. The biggest difference is the fact that, for God, there is no time, so we have infinity to get it right. As opposed to the 18 years or so we have with our children before we have to trust that we taught them all we could. I do believe that we are going through the process of becoming God, at least consciously.

"The Egg" was absolutely beautiful, and really hit spot on, my beliefs in it all.
If God is everything, then we are God.
When we commit crimes to ourselves, our children, or our neighbor, we are harming God, and thus ourselves.
Just as when we love and nurture ourselves, our children, and our neighbor, we are loving God.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tephra

Is god not capable of stopping suffering of innocent creatures?

Even if some god appeared tomorrow and declared himself present, I would never worship a creature that would allow such suffering, rather I would spat in defiance of such a thing.

Epicurus was an atheist trapped in a time where declaring yourself such would have returned with massive consequences.

Are we not capable of stopping the suffering of innocent creatures?, if you came before yourself as a god, would you even know it was you...
BTW, you should read all my posts in this thread to fully understand where i come form
peace.....

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   
save your prayers god is not listening

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by templar knight

God is neither Omnipotent or Omniscient.

If you know what those two words actually mean you would understand that a being who is both would not have the desire or will to create life in the first place, since desires and will are subjectively human.

Further more, an Omniscient being would know the destiny of all things, if that is so, why would he give free will to his creations, when the very nature of free will is contradiction to its creator.

These are two arguments commonly used against creationism by the way.

edit on 14-4-2011 by Crutchley29 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   

No we are not capable of stopping suffering actually.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   

No we are not capable of stopping suffering actually.

I beg to differ, if we see one oppressed soul , hungry , sick, alone, and we offer help are we not helping to stop suffering ?
“While pain might be inevitable,
the suffering that comes from the pain is not.
Suffering is not a state of life, it is a state of mind.
Suffering is your response to an event.
Whether you suffer or not depends
entirely on your reaction to that situation.”
~ Paramahamsa Nithyananda (Swamiji)

remember god helps those that help themselves, so what rewards for those that help others,

one voice can change the world

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   
You clearly know little of suffering.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   

You clearly know little of suffering.

Thank you for your one line posts, its been pleasant

My "problem" as you would have me believe is that i have sent more time examining other educational texts outside of the church, i have spent time in Catholic boarding schools and even visited Christian outposts in Papua New guinea. i worked for two members of the brethren.. i have seen suffering in more ways then i care to imagine.. And since its so clear who i am.. im sure you realize im here as a child of the universe to expand my mind

blessed be.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join