It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What everyone agrees about God

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
There are three things that people agree about what makes [Christian and Islamic] God:

God is Omnipotentt;
- God made all the universe, stars, planets, animals and man

God is Omniscient
- God knows the present, the past and the future - everything is to His plan

God is Goodness
- God is and and good spirit

Is it fair to say that if God only achieved 2 of the above 3 things then in many peoples eyes that would not be God? Please disagree - if the spirit of the world that made ALL creation but was inevitably cruel or sadistic would you call him God?

So here is my problem, God decides to make the most intelligent creature on Earth, fundamentally a pack animal, an animal that is a carnivore. To give such an naturally aggressive animal such a large brain is the equivalent of giving a small child a box of matches, a box of fireworks and a box of explosives. It is our nature that we will destroy forests, animals and ultimately the planet and my interpretation of a God knew this - but still set the wheels in motion for our own self destruction for His perverse pleasure.

So I do not see this God fulfilling the "goodness" box as I do not see a mum pretending it was not her fault when she left a bottle of open bleach next to the cot.

edit on 13-4-2011 by templar knight because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
But God isnt just good, he is everything, including good and evil. if god is taken to mean the all encompassing. So we then have to decide did god give us free will? to bee like the gods must we learn for our selves what it is to be good and evil? must we walk both paths to learn what the differences are before we can really be like god...
I used to be Catholic, but now my mind is wider and sees more then the heaven and hell concept of good and evil.
If god is everything and created everything then "it" must contain both sides..

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by templar knight

What is happening to the world today is NOT for God's pleasure.
We "having free will" did this to the world. Not God.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by sprocket2cog

God is not evil.
There are two sides to him, the loving side and the side who brings justice.
Anything evil on this earth is because the defiance of his will.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by templar knight

Good Evening Templar Knight!!!

My Friend, your words find an echo here right now.

I am coming from a Christian point of view, but I tell you I am really struggling these days.

My cynicism overwhelms me these days. I really do, after all is said and done, struggle now to believe that there is anything benevolent about this Creation we are in.

As you say, the homo sapien guardianship of this planet is just about the most destructive thing any Creator could have allowed.

The destructiveness of Men, individually and collectively, with all the suffering caused to the earth, the animals and his own species leaves me dumbfounded and totally disillusioned with any so called benevolent Creator.

I expect on my deathbed I will just say, "What was that all about"???

The End!

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by PoopDawg

If you believe that everything comes from god, then you have to accept that "all" comes from god..
he cant be everything and "oh not that bit" cause we think he cant be bad or nasty...
it all boils down to how you see god and whether you prescribe to the Christian god or some other idea of what the omnipotent and omipresent force is..

remember god is a vengeful god
Hebrews 10:30-31 "Vengeance is mine"
Isa. 35:4 "your God will come with vengeance"
notice the "your god" implying that he is not every mans god..
not all who walk this earth prescribe to the Christian faith.
peace.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
This is relevant

Scientists have found 3 parts to the brain:

- Very old part that basically keeps the heart pumping etc.
- Newer part that is responsible for the emotional side. It is hot wired to fight or flight and so has direct links to the muscles
- Very new, not so linked in and distinct in humans - the logic side that works about mathematics and is not affected by emotions

The most newest part has the least connections, hence we all pretend to do things logically where really we are being driven by our emotions. So we "know" what the answer is - this is our emotional brain telling us -but it hijacks our logical brain to give the idea credence.

I paint the emotional side of our brain a bad press - if faced with a raging lion in front of me, my emotional brain could make me run super fast, the logical side could simply not connect to my legs, so I know which one I want.

God knew that our emotional brain could run rings around our logical brain - he knows everything and hence knew that despite being so intelligent, most decisions are driven through fear, want or the other set of emotions. . When a child who clearly cannot sing goes onto the X Factor to warble, at what point do you blame the child for not singing well and at what point do you blame the parent for putting them in a position that they cannot cope with? Likewise with all of man's wars and enforced dogma [religion] that has caused famine and disease [Aids in Africa by Pope John Paul II is a classic example], at what point do you say that is man's fault and at what point do you say that it was Gods - "he knew this was going to happen and he let it happen" "how is this be a good God?"

Apologies if this is a rant [emotional side of the brain again] - I really struggle to find the good in God and hence must reject the concept outright. Happy to take in other viewpoints on this subject.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
So if everything comes from God, does evil also come from God? This is not a concept that I have metaphorically explored.

Why would God want to invent evil?

If I [or you] had the power to could create this would would we invent evil?

Also imagine if we were created/evolved from alley cats, what would evil look like? Morals of an alley cat would be a good thing?

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Vengence is not evil.
Im quite aware of God's wrath.
Evil comes from the devil.
Yes God created the devil.
does a man being evil make his father evil as well?
God has never commeted an evil act.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Being Jewish I agree with Muslim and Sikhs on the nature of G-d. Universal, inoperable, and so forth.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by templar knight
So if everything comes from God, does evil also come from God? This is not a concept that I have metaphorically explored.
Why would God want to invent evil?

Its not a matter of god inventing evil, its a matter of god being the"whole"
if you want to look at it from a science point of view.for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction
so for the brightest light there must be the darkest dark..
left, right up and down.
For one to happen so must the other.. that im my mind is the true nature of it all, its not a matter of good or bad in my mind. its all experience, there is no good or bad in the mind of god, just in our minds.
Good & Evil is a result of free will, god wanted us to learn from the experience which means we must see it with our own eyes.
en.wikipedia.org...

One of the other aspects of god overlooked in the OP is omniscience
en.wikipedia.org...
"everything that can be known about a character including thoughts, feelings, life and the universe"
which must include all concepts..

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by sprocket2cog

If you believe that everything comes from god, then you have to accept that "all" comes from god..
he cant be everything and "oh not that bit" cause we think he cant be bad or nasty...

That would be correct if you hold a dualistic perspective, which Christianity does not. Evil is not something which opposes good, but evil is simply the absence of good. So, for a Christian, God doesn't "create evil", we cause evil by opting not to do good.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   

But are you limiting yourself to the notion of a Christian god ?
or to an omnipotent force ?
semantics make the difference to setting the field in such a debate.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Did'nt god make a deal with the devil and allow the devil to kill a mans family, just to show the man would stay loyal to him?
That seems evil to me.
Dealing with the devil, complacency with murder, conspiring.
Dunno bro.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by adjensen

Tphat would be correct if you hold a dualistic perspective, which Christianity does not. Evil is not something which opposes good, but evil is simply the absence of good. So, for a Christian, God doesn't "create evil", we cause evil by opting not to do good.

Amen!

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by g146541

The story is about a test of faith.
Some might see it as murder.
In my opinion, the story is not literal.
More of a parable.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
So If god didnt create evil and the bible is the word of god, please explain this one to me ?

Isaiah 45:7

"I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things."

and this

Samuel 16:13-16 Then Samuel took the horn of oil, and anointed him in the midst of his brethren: and the Spirit of the LORD came upon David from that day forward. So Samuel rose up, and went to Ramah. But the Spirit of the LORD departed from Saul, and an evil spirit from the LORD troubled him. And Saul’s servants said unto him, Behold now, an evil spirit from God troubleth thee

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   

So If god didnt create evil and the bible is the word of god, please explain this one to me ?

Isaiah 45:7

"I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things."

and this

Samuel 16:13-16 Then Samuel took the horn of oil, and anointed him in the midst of his brethren: and the Spirit of the LORD came upon David from that day forward. So Samuel rose up, and went to Ramah. But the Spirit of the LORD departed from Saul, and an evil spirit from the LORD troubled him. And Saul’s servants said unto him, Behold now, an evil spirit from God troubleth thee

I never said he didnt create evil, just that he isnt evil.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Plus the english version is poorly translated.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Thanks for clearing up that minor point.

and my point wasn't that god was evil, rather that god is "everything" regardless of what it is.

And just to clear things up , i dont wish to say that any religion is right or wrong, each man must choose the path he walks, in my mind there is no good or evil, there just is..
peace & respect

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join