It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Which Stars are a friendly place for life to form.Lets see...

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 03:40 AM
link   
Just saw on Space.com The Yesterday They believe galaxies may have formed 200million years after big bang which they thought was impossible.. maybe the Big Bang theory is wrong after all. Who knows !

www.space.com...

I believe there may be so many different types of life out there its going to shock a lot of people when we do find it i'm willing to bet there is even advanced forms of life in this solar system perhaps... Not Sentient like humans but like animals... or Titan Saturns moon with the Methane Lakes or Europa etc. Many of the moons of the Gas giants seem like good candidates heck maybe even Mars and Venus too. Why not Uranus and Neptune we've never really been able to get a probe close in to see if there is any kind of life living in the clouds of the gas giants would be interesting if there was.

Carl Sagan once speculated that there may be life in/on the Gas giants.
edit on 15-4-2011 by XRaDiiX because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-4-2011 by XRaDiiX because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by XRaDiiX

Great informative thread.
In a way earth is also tidally locked to our sun, but to a lesser degree than the moon is tidally locked to the earth.
Kepler data is astounding. Any chances that the kepler data may be erroneous.
More the merrier i guess

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by ButterCookie

i don't think life has to be like us to flourish because ultimately i dont think we will find an humanoid life in the universe, yes there is defenitley life out there but i don't think it will look like us

saying that, yea i understand that life can flourish in pretty hospitable enviroments on earth but

though it is considered unlikely given that they have no surface and their gravity is enormous.[15] The natural satellites of giant planets, meanwhile, remain perfectly valid candidates for hosting life

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by XRaDiiX
reply to post by xBWOMPx

Because i choose not to be atheist and say there is no god/higher being etc there is no way to know for sure so i am agnostic i just choose not to decide on the fence you could say.

So i am not atheist i am agnostic i just like to say atheist because some people don't know the meaning of agnostic i guess.

You guys are misunderstanding the two terms here.

Gnostic - Knowing something
Agnostic - Not knowing something

Theist- Believing something
Atheist - Not believing something (or lacking belief)

So you can be a gnostic theist, agnostic theist, gnostic atheist, or agnostic atheist. Most theists tend to fall under the gnostic category while most atheists fall under the agnostic category. You'd be hard pressed to find many atheists to firmly state that they know there is no god, rather there is no reason to think there is.

Anyway back on topic!

Nice job making a thread about this, there needs to be more interest from the public in space, so any chance to put down some interesting details about "the final frontier" is an opportunity well spent.

I made a thread about exoplanets not too long ago you can check out here.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

It's important to remind people that the findings Kepler published about 1200+ planets are not confirmed, rather planetary candidates. REAL planet confirmations can be found here:
exoplanet.eu...
Now there's a good chance most of them will be confirmed, but until then it's best not to expect them to be true. (I'm not saying you're guilty of this but people try and take little bits and misrepresent them all the time unless you remind them of it)

The problem with finding earth like planets is that their dips in the light curve can go unnoticed very easily, Kepler just so happens to be the birth of the next generation of telescopes capable of detecting them.

Originally posted by Angelic Resurrection
reply to post by XRaDiiX

In a way earth is also tidally locked to our sun, but to a lesser degree than the moon is tidally locked to the earth.

No earth is not tidally locked to our sun, unless you mean the slow winding down of every body, but that's not what we refer to as tidally locked.

Kepler data being erroneous? Depends on how you look at your definitions, the Kepler data is comprised of planet candidates. As i said earlier there's going to be quite a few which turn out not to be planets but that doesn't mean the data is wrong. Only that there was good reason to keep them labeled as candidates because you can get false positives quite easily. (Technical errors, eclipsing binaries, and so on)

edit on 16-4-2011 by Stuffed because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Angelic Resurrection
reply to post by XRaDiiX

Great informative thread.
More the merrier i guess

Yes there are chances that some of the Planet Candidates are Errors but most of them will probably turn out to be positive when they do the follow-up observations with other telescopes ( Hubble,Keck,etc) Will be doing the follow-up Observations to confirm said Candidate planets from Keplers Findings thankyou for replying to my thread i appreciate it very much.

reply to post by Stuffed

The Definition in the Dictionary for Atheist is as reads "Someone who Denies the existence of god" i didn't really mix the terms up at all! I just like to say i'm athiest/agnostic. Because many do not even know what agnostic means.

Yes i realise this Data is very important and i think many people are ignoring this Stuffed we need to have more discussion on this which is the main reason why i authored this thread it took me several hour to make this. I thankeveryone for replying we need to talk some more i wish i would have gotten more replies to the thread thx alot guys.

I can't wait for Keplers next Data release and For the JWST(James-Webb Space Telescope) to be launched. I think its a disgrace how Nasa gets like 1% of the funding compared to what the military gets Nasa definately does alot with the little funding they do and many folks fail to realise it.

Thankyou all and may we discuss with ardent curiousness; Explore the wonders of the universe together we walk the path of Ascendence! THE HUMAN RACE!

edit on 16-4-2011 by XRaDiiX because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Also for anyone looking to see amount of Candidate Eclipsing Binaries and Candidate planets. As well as confirmed planets go here

kepler.nasa.gov...

Please stick to this thread guys its the most important thread on the space forums in my opinion. Screw Nibiru and Elenin Junk ! IMO Its a bunch of fear mongers! Not that i'm saying they shouldn't be going on about it they can at their free will; i just feel this is of the utmost importance peace..

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by XRaDiiX

The statement on atheism/agnosticism was in reference to you and the other posters not just yourself. Basically what I'm saying is the two aren't just not mutually compatible, but require each other, since they speak on two different subjects. (knowledge and belief) But enough of semantics, it can be a tedious debate.

I think what we need is another space race (preferably without a cold war) to reinvigorate the drive to progress science and explore. But it really shouldn't have to come down to "Well we need to be better than these people", space and science needs more popularizers, like Neil Tyson, now more than ever.

Nbiru, Elenin, hey that's the joy of conspiracy sites lol, reach as far as you can at whatever minimal evidence you can scrounge up. People need to stop being so infatuated with wanting to be the generation where some global devastation happens and do something about reality.

Have you checked out the planethunters.org website? It's pretty cool and a powerful community science project, not to mention the fact that it's great way to spread the information. I think they got up to about 50 planet candidates missed by the automated NASA KEPLER Pipeline, I've personally gone through about 2,000 stars of Kepler Data, found a couple promising candidates but they didn't get ranked high enough by the people to be included in the 50. Should be pretty interesting seeing how many of these 50 are confirmed, contrasting computer and human brain pattern seeking.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Stuffed

Yes check the thread on Russia but stay on my thread too please i'm looking for more replies its been slow since i made it 2 days ago

I think what we need is another space race (preferably without a cold war) to reinvigorate the drive to progress science and explore. But it really shouldn't have to come down to "Well we need to be better than these people", space and science needs more popularizers, like Neil Tyson, now more than ever.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

This will invigorate the space race i hope I have replies on the thread you might want to check out.

Nbiru, Elenin, hey that's the joy of conspiracy sites lol, reach as far as you can at whatever minimal evidence you can scrounge up. People need to stop being so infatuated with wanting to be the generation where some global devastation happens and do something about reality.

Exactly i think many people are extremely infatuated with the fallacies and false prophets of space and follow them like sheep for the shepherd

Have you checked out the planethunters.org website? It's pretty cool and a powerful community science project, not to mention the fact that it's great way to spread the information. I think they got up to about 50 planet candidates missed by the automated NASA KEPLER Pipeline, I've personally gone through about 2,000 stars of Kepler Data, found a couple promising candidates but they didn't get ranked high enough by the people to be included in the 50. Should be pretty interesting seeing how many of these 50 are confirmed, contrasting computer and human brain pattern seeking.

Interesting coincidence i guess great minds think alike I have 1000+ stars logged on that site. I wanted to help out as much as i could maybe i'll do some more when i feel like it. I don't think out of the 1000 i found any real candidates but i found some that definitely looked like they were transits i'm almost 100% sure they were (I know they weren't the test stars too). Thank you for your replies i look forward to more discussion.

For any Inquiring minds who like to help with sifting through the data on www.planethunters.org...
I would suggest anyone who is interested to check out the site thank you all guys EXPLORE space i love it.

WE NEED to keep this discussion Rolling! Lurkers come out of your shell and make an account and reply please

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join