It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Think Golf is Boring? Think AGAIN....especially in Australia! haha

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
So im a fan of most all sports...Golf is a game i enjoy to watch somewhat but when you throw in 30 live sharks in the mix it definitely raises an eyebrow.

This golf course in Australia has 30 sharks in a lake that borders some of the holes. Make a bad shot and you definitely dont wanna go retrieve your ball....if you do then you are a bigger man than I am! haha

Here is the link.....

sports.yahoo.com...

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by MonkeyWrench30

Hmmm.
I am curious, and I didn't see this mentioned in the article, but is this a saltwater or freshwater lake?

It said that they think the sharks got in there during a flood, but not sure if it is actually a saltwater lake or not. I assume that they wouldn't have lived in freshwater, but I don't really know if they could have adapted. Do you know?

edit on 4/13/11 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   
HAHAHAHA! That's awesome!
I think I would watch golf more often if they had more hazards like that. Sandworms from the movie Dune in the sand traps too. Maybe throw in a hoolagin or two to chase the golfers at tee-off.

Next Sumo wrestlers riding Shetland ponies...

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

It looks like its right off an inlet to Toondah Harbor so it can very well be saltwater or at least brackish

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Its just "the Shark" Greg Norman back in action again!

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Not sure how they would adapt but if they cant then it wont be a hazard for long......

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   

I do nto know about that lake but sharks have been known to travle up the Mississippi river into fresh water and live.

dsc.discovery.com...

www.nmfs.noaa.gov...

en.wikipedia.org...

I do not know how easy it is for each shark species, but certainly some adapt quite well.

Raist

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 03:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Baron Von Chaos

It looks like its right off an inlet to Toondah Harbor so it can very well be saltwater or at least brackish

I don't think think you know what your talking about.
I live about 15 minutes from this golf club, played there a few times.

If you follow the links you can find this..

For those of you interested in the Sharks - they came in to the lake in 1996 after a massive flood in the area and the rivers nearby burst their banks. Since then we believe they have reproduced and there are up to approximately 12 sharks in the lake now. The lake is approx 90,000 m2 in size and up to 15 metres in depth. There are a heap of fish species and obviously enough to keep the sharks well fed.

Scott Wagstaff

General Manager

Carbrook Golf Club
MrWaggy76 7 hours ago 13

and this

news.ninemsn.com.au...

This is the view from above, you can see just how close it is to the tidal rivers

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Raist

Thank you for those links. I have seen the shows on Discovery, during Shark Week, that talk about certain cases where sharks had been found far inland. I remember one case in particular, but couldn't remember certain details(what type of shark), until I just now looked it up.

'Blood In The Water' is a movie about the series of shark attacks at New Jersey beaches in 1916, the scene of the first multiple shark attacks in U. S. history, including one in a creek -- Matawan Creek.

Based on a true story. it recounts the 12-day period in 1916 where five people were attacked by sharks.

Although many believed that the shark that killed the two at Matawan Creek was a Great White shark, there are others who believe it was a bull shark. Bull sharks have been found in various fresh water sources, sometimes far upriver or upstream in some cases, their high tolerance for fresh water nearly unique among shark species.

Ichthyologist Thomas Thorson studied bull sharks living in Lake Nicaragua and found these huge fish take in a lot of extra water, as expected, but they excrete much of it as dilute urine, at a rate of over 20 times that of typical saltwater sharks. That means their kidneys must work extra hard, utilizing additional energy. Like people who become accustomed to life in low oxygen regions, however, sharks in fresh water appear to adapt to what would seem to be formidable conditions.
dsc.discovery.com...

Although a survey of freshwater sharks and rays in 1995 determined that 43 species of elasmobranches penetrate freshwater environments, relatively few sharks spend substantial time in these areas. Sharks that do frequent such regions include the river sharks and the aforementioned bull sharks.

They can survive in rivers, but relatively few spend substantial time in these areas.
In conclusion, I still do not know, and can't seem to find out online, if this is a saltwater or freshwater lake.

new topics

top topics

join