It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ontario Judge Rules Pot Laws Unconstitutional

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11
Simple math for the budget:

End Obama's Wars + End the War on Pot = US out of debt.

I don't think Libya is costing the US all that much.

I think getting out of Bush's wars would save you a lot more.

But yeah - that and stoppign the stupidity of making marijuana illegal would save a lot of dosh.

shame that the US public still seems to think "Reefer Madness" was a documentary!

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Thank the Creator!, they've fianlly decided to legalize weed just in time for Armegeddon! I was sweating that one. Guess I'll be moving up the the Uncles farm in Canada to watch the end of all things, what'ts the date again? oh yeah, 21 DEC 2012 right. We're gonna open up our Yuletide gifts early that year, and enjoy them before we get snuffed out by "divine intervention" from the "God of Love"!. (As if I believe any of that RELIGIOUS fear mongering B.S.) !

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul

I don't think Libya is costing the US all that much.

This thread is about Canada and THEIR budgetary concerns, if they apply to the MJ laws

I think getting out of Bush's wars would save you a lot more.

Afghanistan and Libya are US and Canadian concerns, but this thread is about Canadian courts and the MJ laws

But yeah - that and stoppign the stupidity of making marijuana illegal would save a lot of dosh.

Might even make the guvmint richer through taxation measures.

shame that the US public still seems to think "Reefer Madness" was a documentary!

What's that got to do with Canada's MJ laws? (Yeah... I saw the movie. Old hat.)

Or, wait... do you think Ontario is a state of the union?

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

I live close to St Catharines used to work there actually. Nice place.
I think weed will be legalised so many people smoke week even if not for Medical reasons i know of many people who do smoke weed.

I do not myself smoke Weed(Pot) myself but i know Alot of young people and older people who do Mother Earth gave us this plant why should it be illegal it doesn't seem to have too many cons? Its not like opium or anything

Its becoming more of a norm in liberal country like Canada Especially because of our strong multicultural society i think its bound to happen maybe it will be like Holland where Pot is legal in some places.
edit on 13-4-2011 by XRaDiiX because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

Isn't Canada the 51st state?

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   
I'm in Ontario...All I can say is about time. 90% of the people I know think it's wrong for something like that to be illegal, and 80% don't do it.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Marijuana causes global warming, uses 1% of U.S. electricity

www.bizjournals.com...

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by CalmAsHinduCows
Not to sound too negative, but there is no way this is going to happen. I would love it to, but, no...

The U.S. would never allow that to happen. We bully Canada into doing what we want most of the time anyway.

Either we'll stop them or they'll just use some bureaucratic BS to keep it in the court systems for the longest time possible.

Stay positive, anything is possible as long as you stay positive. I am glad people are now realizing how unfair this law was. This re strengthens my faith, Hoping for the best.

S&F

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Alright, I can maybe see the light...but, what about the people that are currently in prison for cannabis? Are they going to be released? Any compensation?

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   
The timing is too suspect
every election
you get the legalize pot bla bla bla

IMHO
this will be
along with guns,
hot buttons to get the electorate to jump
the way they are supposed to

what happened in Cali?
they decriminalizd it and the feds are STILL BUSTING people
and the price went UP

harmonization...
after the tease.....
there won't be no legal weed...
the banks like wachovia
who was just busted for laundering bazzillions in drug money
cannot afford it

edit on 13-4-2011 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   
This is awesome

Im glad that i live in ontario right now!

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Alright, I can maybe see the light...but, what about the people that are currently in prison for cannabis? Are they going to be released? Any compensation?

Sadly I don't think that will happen, knowing how the system works. They will just say that they broke the law when it was in place, a criminal is a criminal etc etc.

I think its bs, but it's just the way things are, however, like I said, stay positive, anything is possible.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   
I would like this to happen but it wont.
Grass makes you think freely... and we cant have that now can we?

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Not to sound too negative, but there is no way this is going to happen. I would love it to, but, no...

The U.S. would never allow that to happen. We bully Canada into doing what we want most of the time anyway.

Either we'll stop them or they'll just use some bureaucratic BS to keep it in the court systems for the longest time possible.

Sorry to say but Canadians do NOT answer to America and certainly not on a topic like this as Canada is way more liberal when it comes to weed than the states will ever be and it's already decriminalized in Ontario and get a small fine as opposed to America where it'll get you some good time in most cases. I was ticketed a twice for under 5 grams and anything over was considered "for distribution" They are still busting LEGAL medicinal places in Washington state BUT have been ordered by the courts to cease and desist unlawful busts.
My 2 cents

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
This is good news for me i think....as my doctor just put me officially on the stuff.
had to supply two copies of a passport type picture....
Sent in the forms, now awaiting my first legal toke.....
Sure hope it doesnt take long.......................
This will also allow me to licence myself to grow my own weed too.
Its about time this got happening for medical users at least......

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by stirling

I hope you dont have to wait too long neither.

I hear some people get to wait up to 9 months to get it.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by picrat

There is absolutely no legitimate reason to make cannabis a controlled substance. This is not something we need to tax to death like the "sin" taxes on booze and cigarettes.

If you can grow it in your garden like any other herb, then so be it. No taxes or regulations needed!
Wouldn't it be nice for a change to be able to enjoy a bit of nature without the frick'n government trying to make a buck off of it.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Don't be so sure. The march towards 'legalization' seems to keep moving. How many states have a medial program, now? 16? The government knows that legalization is in their interest, but it will also take a while to phase out the existing system.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Please read the ruling carefully before stating that it only applies to medical user only, its goes as follow...

Since its hard for medical users to obtain it as form of medication due to the fact that a lot of doctors refuse to sign the required papers and all... Therefor has judge that by this action and weak laws making it impossible for some medical patient to obtain it for medical purpose and thereby is against our constitution...

He ruled and gave 90 days to the government to reform and fix the medical marijuana laws and/or he will overturn the laws prohibiting marijuana possession/production in Ontario essentially making it completely legal and by the same act fixing the problem for medical patients to obtain it...

The catch is that Harper has a fire lite up under his rear because he's being investigated for corruption + they just started an election process therefor making the government a bit busy with other things to occupy their mind...

His ruling would void the prohibition laws in Ontario making it completely legal in Ontario and you can't have only one province in Canada having it legal it would cause to much problems to the surrounding provinces because it could be grown legally and it would be virtually impossible to control it from being exported illegally to other provinces hence others wouldn't have much choice but to follow...

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by _R4t_
Please read the ruling carefully before stating that it only applies to medical user only, its goes as follow...

I did read the entire ruling. Did you? Here, I can even quote a little for you:

[321] In the present case, that applicant submits that MMAR and ss. 4 & 7 of the CDSA that are unconstitutional.

DISPOSITION:
[345] For the foregoing reasons, this court declares that:
1. The Medical Marihuana Access Regulations SOR /2001-226 and the prohibitions against the possession and production of cannabis (marihuana) contained in section 4 and 7 respectively of the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act S.C, 1996 C. 19 are constitutionally invalid and of no force of effect

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join