It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ontario Judge Rules Pot Laws Unconstitutional

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+13 more 
posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Ontario Judge Rules Pot Laws Unconstitutional

www.cannabisculture.com

In a case with wide-ranging implications, an Ontario Superior Court judge struck down Canada's laws prohibiting the possession and production of marijuana on Tuesday, giving the federal government 90 days to fix the country's medical marijuana program before the ruling comes into effect and effectively legalizes cannabis.

In an April 12 ruling in the case of R. v. Mernagh, Justice Donald Taliano found that Canada's Marihuana Medical Access Regulations (MMAR) and "the prohibitions against the possession and production of cannabis (marihuana) contained in sections 4 and 7 respectively of
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.cannabisculture.com
www.whyprohibition.ca

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
I am glad to hear that there are people finally recognizing that this "war on drugs" does nothing better than hamper the process for those who truly can benefit from this medication.
I look forward to seeing what will come of this, and how the government will react to this.
Very interesting that this decision comes right before the elections too, so I am guessing if there will be an appeal, it will be scrambled together at the last moment.

www.cannabisculture.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
They'll probably just re-write the law and force it to go back through the court system again.

If they actually allowed this to stand, I would be shocked.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Its wonderful news. You can find my thread on the subject here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...
Court Strikes Down Marijuana Laws In Canada,

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Not to sound too negative, but there is no way this is going to happen. I would love it to, but, no...

The U.S. would never allow that to happen. We bully Canada into doing what we want most of the time anyway.

Either we'll stop them or they'll just use some bureaucratic BS to keep it in the court systems for the longest time possible.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99
Its wonderful news. You can find my thread on the subject here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...
Court Strikes Down Marijuana Laws In Canada,

I tried doing a search and couldn't find a thread on this already... But I think this also belongs in the breaking news section as well.
I'm very happy to hear I'm not the only one paying attention

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Wonderful! It blows my mind how much money is wasted on the "war on drugs." Addiction is a problem that should be handled with love not incarceration. I believe if most of these illegal substances were legal they would lose half of the fun in doing them. I mean come on anybody that smoked cannabis as a kid or even drank as a kid knows that half the fun is in the possibility of getting caught. Now if only a certain country to your direct south could do the same I would flip my lid. Hell I might even stop complaining about all of the other problems in America...for awhile anyway. *starts to sing* And you may see me tonight. With an illegal smile. It don't cost very much but it lasts a long while. Won't you please tell the man. I didn't kill anyone... I was just trying to have me some fun... well done... hotdog bun... my sisters a nun.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by CalmAsHinduCows

I dont know my friend. As Bob Dylan said "the times they are a changin". I think within the next 10 years we will will see the first wave of mass marijuana decriminalization.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Actually, this is coming out in the open, the health benefits, and at this point our Government will be in violation of the court if any new law does not widen access. The article itself was saying the doctor method as gatekeeper was prohibitive and denying citizens of its health benefits. I also wrote a thread based on the US Gov Cancer agency showing studies that Cannabis blew cancer tumors out of the water, 60 % and a host of other studies. Its prevention and cure. So the court is saying, that Canadians have the right to self medicate.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   

what you need to realize is, this is not a ruling in regards to recreational use.

This ruling applies only to MEDICAL PATIENTS who suffer and have found no relief from other therapies.

This does not mean it will be legalized. It means that medicinal users can gain easier access to their medications without being bullied by the doctors who have don't have enough information on how to prescribe it.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
so does this mean for the next 3 months I can bun wherever I want (not that you badsically cant anyways )

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Openeye

Bob Dylan also said "Everybody must get stoned".

Hopefully this goes past the 90 days and Canadians like me can smoke our weed freely. I'll definitely be proud to be a Canadian when that happens

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by el1jah
so does this mean for the next 3 months I can bun wherever I want (not that you badsically cant anyways )

No it does not mean anything at all to that extent.

This ruling applied to medicinal users, not recreational use.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by InnerTruths

Don't hold your breath, I've seen them promise to reform those laws several times in my short stay here on earth. Including the now famous Jean Cretien declaring his desire to enjoy retirement with a beer in one hand and a joint in the other.

It simply won't happen, they won't reform the laws at all. This law will be repackaged, reintroduced, and will die on the floor like the rest.

Actually, I'm fully expecting Harper to use this as a ploy to get the stoner vote. We are about to have a federal election and all.

they will never legalize recreational pot until they can enact a strict strangle hold on sale and production, which is impossible.

They might, and should, make it easier for medical patients to access it. The government has been growing it for years for this purpose, they just make you jump through hoops to get access to it.

AND even with your card, you can still get busted. This is why the laws must be reformed. This is a valid treatment option that is both safe and cheap. Which is the problem, big pharma doesn't want you medicating with herbs and supplements, they want you buying chemical cocktails from them. And their donation funds are considerably larger than ours when it comes to political contributions.
edit on 13-4-2011 by phishyblankwaters because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by InnerTruths

Originally posted by el1jah

No it does not mean anything at all to that extent.

This ruling applied to medicinal users, not recreational use.

what about gaining access to medical weed without going through a doctor

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
its slowly changing for the better as MJ is concerned will just take time imo this is a positive step i was very disappointed when prop 19 failed in cali but i think it will pass in 2012 or a similar bill.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by phishyblankwaters
reply to post by InnerTruths

Don't hold your breath, I've seen them promise to reform those laws several times in my short stay here on earth. Including the now famous Jean Cretien declaring his desire to enjoy retirement with a beer in one hand and a joint in the other.

It simply won't happen, they won't reform the laws at all. This law will be repackaged, reintroduced, and will die on the floor like the rest.

Actually, I'm fully expecting Harper to use this as a ploy to get the stoner vote. We are about to have a federal election and all.

I dont think many stoners vote lol

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by jhnsmth
reply to post by Openeye

Bob Dylan also said "Everybody must get stoned".

Bill Hicks also said it should be mandatory lol

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Its time we end this war on drugs..

And start letting conservatives know they can't limit our freedoms here in America. Not to blame just conservatives, but that is the driving force behind this disasterous war on drugs.. and it's time to stop wasting military resources on this stuff.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Big Pharma will stop this from happening one way or another?

The medical marijuana that people could grow in their homes would start being used by people to medicate themselves... they would stop using the medication being made by Big Pharma who would then loose lots of money.

This is the main reason cannabis is illegal in the first place!

To take the conspiracy one level deeper, there is lots evidence that shows cannabis oil actually fights cancer check out the Rick Simpson Story this man has actually cured terminally ill cancer patients shocking doctors in the process... will anyone listen to him though no.

Could the reason be because of the NWO population reduction plans... an estimated 7.6 million people die from cancer each year... im sure the last thing the elite would want is an extra 7.6 million people a year not dying from cancer due to a cure as simple and easily obtainable as cannabis!
edit on 13-4-2011 by RandalFlagg because: because I am a retard who can not spell

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join