It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Marine Corps Urgently Requests Bulletproof Underwear

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
The Marines' order will cost around $2 million, and come from the company Cooneen Watt & Stone, the company that supplies the British armed forces. And, having classified the order as having "unusual and compelling urgency," it seems they want them yesterday.

The underwear is made from special antimicrobial double weave silk. That material actually holds some historic parallels in Afghanistan, as the Mongol horsemen who invaded the country under Genghis Khan also wore silk armor.

ca.news.yahoo.com...

Explosive.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by CanadianDream420

"bullet-proof" is a bit of an oxymoron, here:

These ultra-tough BVDs would help protect soldiers and Marines from the low-angle explosions associated with landmines and improvised explosive devices (IEDs). Since the groin contains so many arteries — and since the need for mobility leaves the groin largely unprotected by traditional body armor — injuries to that area can quickly result in life-threatening blood loss or gruesome infections.

I saw/heard the report about this last month (or was it two months back?....)

Seems like a very reasonable (if WAY over-due) precaution. Still, it does point to the horrible inefficiency, and callous disregard for the soldiers, overall. Ties in with the lack of properly shielded vehicles, that has been a problem since back in the Bush administration, too.....

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by CanadianDream420

Hahaha...send'em to Utah!!! Nearly EVERYONE here wears bullet proof underwear!!!!

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
I guess they don't want to get shot in the shorts!

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   
i want to know when there gonna get the chameleon suits i see a few years back they said around 2012-14 they would be in the field why not just bump it up they deserve the best my tax money can buy imo

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Sorry, but I call BULL*HIT!!!

EVERYONE knows Marines already have BALLS OF STEEL. Bullet proof BVDs are totally redundant.

How much you wanna bet they were gonna take the money and throw the world's largest KEG PARTY?

OOH RAH!!!

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
check out what our soldiers will have soon
or this

edit on 13-4-2011 by pez1975 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   
There in afghanistan with yer nether parts flappin in the wind, id bet any extra protection is welcome.
From what i see, there is very little cover there, and opposing sides can see each other comming for miles.
Id say they should up the ratio of sniper teams to combat squads so there is soome seriously trained long shooters in the mix.
It may be that the 50 cal barrett rifle would come into its own in such an environment.
From what ive heard it already has earned its place...
The need for shortrange aerial recoaissance is paramount too.Id say they could use some drones to do close work in scouting out the Talibans.
Though this is already being done, i think it is underemphasized and could ultimately save lives and efforts.
The whole concept of what is going on is appalling however, i deplore the war, i do support our people over there, and wish them all home safe and soon.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   

You dont shoot a guy in the balls, jihadists. Not cool.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 03:37 AM
link   
Armoured groin protection is on issue in Afghanistan to UK troops. It is a 2 level system consisting of lined boxer shorts to protect against light shrapnel and a secong piece that goes over the top of the trousers to protect against heavier duty shrapnel. This second part is made of the same stuff as current issue Osprey armour with similar levels of protection.

The first part is worn and feels just like normal underwear and is mandatory when going outside the wire. The second part is worn rolled up and attached to the back of the body armour. If carrying out a duty that is regarded as higher risk of IED strike (such as point man in a potential choke point) the armour is unrolled and attached to front and back of the armour.

While it would be nice to have this level of protection all the time it is simply not practical to patrol with this wrapped aroung your knackers for prolonged periods. People would just find more excuses not to wear it at all, removing the protection completely. A degree of assessment needs to be utilised when deciding when to attach the outer part.
edit on 14-4-2011 by PaddyInf because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Just ballistic not so much bullet proof, we have a groin protector that attaches to our flak jackets, but a lot of marines were still getting there junk blown off from IEDs. It is however mainly to protect the Femoral artery.

So now we have this..

I know it's unbelievable

I haven't got mine yet, but I'm sure we will get them soon enough.
edit on 15-4-2011 by EL1A5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by pez1975
check out what our soldiers will have soon

I'm sure the tech will eventually exist to make this battlefield competent.

However, if soldiers families have to buy body armor before they are thrown to the wolves--I don't see how these could feasibly be available for our soldiers.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   
So anyone defending against invaders in this kinds of suits will just have to upgrade to larger caliber bullets, right? I doubt they would really provide much protection against a .50 cal machine gun. What says you guys?

The old Molotov cocktail still seems plenty relevant too.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   
BOOM nutshot! hahaha love it

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by EL1A5

First let me say thank you for your service
. Read a story in the Chicago Tribune the other day about the high number of service men with injuries to the testicles from ieds. Something should be done to protect that area of the body. Take care!!

Edit. Could'nt find the Tribune story but found similar.www.ongo.com...[ed itby]edit on 15-4-2011 by JMech because: To post link

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   
"anti microbial" I wonder if biological weapons getting out of control plays any part in this.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by eueseh

I doubt thats the reason.

We are required to carry our NBC equipment at all times or atleast 2 years ago we was, thats the last time I was deployed. Its just a precaution, I never used it. Hopefully they are looking at ways to get rid of those unholy NBC suits and looking at something that doesn't cook you in the heat.

Its a good idea, but will be extremely uncomfortable and probably won't get much use. Its time for this soldier to buy stock in Gold Bond medicated powder because the military will have to buy a bunch to combat the chaffing.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   
This sounds like a late April Fools joke to this old combat Marine..... We never wore skivvy drawers and cut the over lapping curved fiberglass plates out of our flack jackets to allow us to carry more ammo...Wearing skivvy drawers causes all kinds of bad crotch rot in a very short period of time in conditions encountered while in combat.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by hypervigilant

You might have not worn them, but they was issued to you.

How many of us, myself included, took our back plates out of the flak jackets to lighten our load? Soldiers are always looking for ways to be more comfortable in full battle rattle and not wearing as much issue as possible has always been one way.

The bad thing is that the military higher ups are always giving us crap that is just plain uncomfortable.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Becoming

After I got to Vietnam I can only remember being issued skivvy drawers the 2 or 3 times were sent to Cua Viet to swim in the salt water and soak up the sun.. That was the best thing in the world for jungle rot.. It wasn't unusual to see Marines wearing remnants of their jungle utilities that had rotted off of them on some of the longer operations along the Laotian border and DMZ. The NVA bodies we encountered wore skivvies and had fresher uniforms than we did as did their Russian advisers.

new topics

top topics

active topics

<<   2 >>

join