It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sun shining, birds singing and all that crap....A Good News Thread

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Ok, so today I woke up feeling pretty good. Sun shining, birds singing and all that crap.

Made a coffee, sat down, checked my email. Nice letter from a friend. All good.

Then I turn to ATS...(insert theme from jaws here) and start with the new threads. Lo and behold...Doom & Gloom.

I know what kind of World we live in today. I am well aware of issues ranging from an impending Police State, Nature going haywire, WW3 scenarios, Food Shortages and on and on and on. After all, this is why we are here on ATS. To try and stay one step ahead of this stuff and learn how to pack our bug-out bags.

BUT...I have a suggestion for a forum topic that I believe many might appreciate:

'Good News Today!'

This could be the forum we visit first in the morning for a positive start, during the day for a time out or even the last of the day so as to end on a positive note. I know the World can be a crappy thing to deal with most days but there are a lot of good things, people and events out there that we are missing.

So in a nutshell, I would like to see new posts everyday about the good things that are happening around us but we are too tired, depressed or angry to notice. It could be something you came across on the net, a vid or even a personal experience.

If there is enough action on this thread maybe the ATS PTP will see to it that a Good News Forum would be an asset to the community.

If it doesn't catch on, I'll just have to start watching more reruns of The FlintStones to make me smile.

I'll start one here to see if it catches on. Thank you for reading!

Found this by typing 'Good News Today' in Google:

Today You, Tomorrow Me

During this past year I’ve had three instances of car trouble: a blowout on a freeway, a bunch of blown fuses and an out-of-gas situation. They all happened while I was driving other people’s cars, which for some reason makes it worse on an emotional level. And on a practical level as well, what with the fact that I carry things like a jack and extra fuses in my own car, and know enough not to park on a steep incline with less than a gallon of fuel.

Each time, when these things happened, I was disgusted with the way people didn’t bother to help. I was stuck on the side of the freeway hoping my friend’s roadside service would show, just watching tow trucks cruise past me. The people at the gas stations where I asked for a gas can told me that they couldn’t lend them out "for safety reasons," but that I could buy a really crappy one-gallon can, with no cap, for $15. It was enough to make me say stuff like "this country is going to hell in a handbasket," which I actually said.

Rest of the story:

www.dailygood.org...

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Best thread I've seen since I've been here. I'm sure this will help bring quite a bit of welcome levity in these trying times. S&F. Here is my contribution

BALTIMORE -- Maryland Lottery officials said the pastor of a struggling parish recently came across a generous donation in the collection plate -- a $30,000 scratch-off ticket.

And a link here

That is all

Trowa
edit on 13/4/11 by TrowaBarton because: To fix link

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrowaBarton
Best thread I've seen since I've been here. I'm sure this will help bring quite a bit of welcome levity in these trying times. S&F. Here is my contribution

BALTIMORE -- Maryland Lottery officials said the pastor of a struggling parish recently came across a generous donation in the collection plate -- a $30,000 scratch-off ticket.

And a link here

That is all

Thanks, I feel better already.

Good post.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Any other good news out there?

Search long hard...I know it's there someplace!

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   
I heard some good news yesterday regarding the meth lab down the street from my house.
The people were arrested, the woman died the same night and her brother came in and is cleaning up the house to turn it into a regular house again. I'd bulldoze it if I were him... He may still. It's a real hole.

But after about 8 years of waking up in the middle of the night with toxic fumes wafting in my windows choking me and giving me a terrible headache, it's OVER! Woo-Hoo! Ding Dong the meth head is dead! I'm celebrating!

(I don't normally rejoice over someone's death, but this girl was killing herself and she just finally succeeded! Good for her!)

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Wrong thread.

2nd

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

What do you mean "Wrong thread"? I thought you wanted good news. I gave my good news. What's the problem?

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
reply to post by jude11

What do you mean "Wrong thread"? I thought you wanted good news. I gave my good news. What's the problem?

I agree with the good news that the Meth problem is gone. Just not with the fact that someone's daughter died as a result.

My bad I guess. Good news is a personal thing... if it's good news to you then who am I to judge.

Apologies.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   
I would really like this thread to succeed so Here you go ......

Homeless Man Finds, Returns $1,440 Cash

John Kavanaugh is homeless, living on the streets of West Chester. But his lack of income and home has not affected Kavanaugh’s principles.

The homeless man stepped on an envelope on the ground last week and saw a pile of $50 and $100 bills spill out. He immediately turned the $1,440 in to West Chester Police. Why?

Article link here

Awesome to see that even though this man is down and homeless that he had the decency to do this. $1,500 may not seem like a lot of money but I was homeless and living on the streets of Pittsburgh for almost two years not even 6 years ago and trust me finding a $10 bill made me fell like I just won the power ball so I could only imagine what this man felt like. and considering the fact he turned it in to possibly spare anyone the same fate he has found himself in is just amazing imo.

That is all

Trowa
edit on 14/4/11 by TrowaBarton because: n/m

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   
And for today...

Maine boy without hands honored for penmanship.

www.kjonline.com...

A 10-year-old boy who earned a spot in a national penmanship contest despite being born without hands and lower arms is in a league of his own.

Nicholas Maxim, a fifth-grader at Readfield Elementary School who writes by holding a pencil between his arms, impressed judges at a national penmanship contest enough that they created a new category for students with disabilities. Maxim received the first Nicholas Maxim Special Award for Excellent Penmanship this week at a school assembly.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Israeli extends helping hand to sick Palestinians

Jerusalem (CNN) -- Aya Abu Mouwais, a 3-year-old who lives in the West Bank, can barely walk or talk because of a failing kidney and liver. For much of her life, the Palestinian child has needed dialysis to survive. Thankfully, an Israeli man has been able to help her get the treatment she so desperately requires. More than 500 times in the past two years, Yuval Roth and his volunteers have driven Aya and her mother roundtrip from a checkpoint near the West Bank border to Rambam Medical Center, which is an hour away in Haifa, Israel. "What Yuval has done, no one else has done," said Aya's mother, Suhair. "He is day by day helping us to get her to the hospital. I'm not allowed to drive an Israeli car, so if not for Yuval, we wouldn't be able to transport her. I thank him."

CNN LINK

Trowa

edit on 19/4/11 by TrowaBarton because: To add headline

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Hand transplant 'surreal' to young mom
The California single mother lost her right hand in a car crash in 2006

Before a car accident five years ago destroyed her right hand, there were so many little things Emily Fennell took for granted: putting her hair in a ponytail, playing blocks with her toddler — giving her daughter a two-handed bear hug.

Afterwards, the formerly right-handed Fennell had to learn to do everything from tying her shoes to writing to driving her car with just her left hand. But now Fennell has a transplant, a donated “new” hand attached to her own skin, bones, nerves and tendons by a surgical team from the University of California, Los Angeles.

“It has been surreal to see that I have a hand again, and to be able to wiggle my fingers,” says the 26-year-old single mom from Yuba City, Calif. “My 6-year-old daughter has never seen me with a [right] hand. She looked at it, touched it and saidText

Full article here and video

This is just freaking awesome in my opinion. It really made me think just how much we take for granted in this world. Its great t o see this lady obtain a hand and know that in time she will be able to not only live a more productive personal life but to be more involved in her childrens lives as well.

Trowa

edit on 20/4/11 by TrowaBarton because: n/m

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Making a big difference with a small sacrifice...

52×52: Family Pledges to Give $52 to a New Charity Each Week

blog.tonic.com...

A Stony Brook, NY couple calling themselves Giver Girl and Giver Boy have made a big New Year’s resolution. How big? Think $2,704 big. Of course, that dollar amount isn’t the resolution, but rather the result of their pledge to increase their charitable giving. They’ve decided to give $52 to a different charity every single week in 2011.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
British tourist receives special honor for catching falling child

edition.cnn.com...

(CNN) -- The British tourist who caught a 1-year-old child who fell from the fourth-floor balcony of an Orlando, Florida, hotel was honored by government and business leaders Friday. Officials credit Helen Beard's quick thinking with saving Jah-Nea Myles' life. Beard was in the pool area of the Econo Lodge Inn and Suites around 9:15 Thursday evening when, after hearing horrific screams, she looked up to see a small child hanging from a hotel balcony.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Man Discovers 650-Year-Old Treasure in Back Garden

While digging in his back yard to expand a small pond, an Austrian man, who asked not to be publicly identified, came across a treasure of historic proportions. Described as "sensational" and 'breathtaking," the jewelry was turned over to the Austrian Department of Antiquities. Text

Full link

Very cool.Dudes digging to make a pond in his yard and he stumbles upon a trove of jewelry. No $ amount has been placed o it but it seems to be getting heavy praise from archeologists, I hope this dude is able to make some scratch off of this stuff or even cooler maybe he'll sell some or donate it to a museum

That is all

Trowa

new topics

top topics

join