It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baby Born with Frog Head

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

You're surprised that people are curious about abnormal things? Ashamed, even?

In all honesty, I don't understand the whole "fair chance at life" bit. It's quaint. The purpose of reproduction and raising a family is to pass on the best traits you can. Debilitative abnormalities run counter to this. From the extreme (this type of abnormality, protein disorders, etc) to the moderate (down's syndrome) to the mild (poor eyesight) - all impact the life of one's offspring in a negative manner. From a purely logical and rational standpoint - why should I pour years of my life and a lot of monetary resources into raising a child that has to struggle merely to meet the lower end of the average performance, and will likely require even more investments of time later on in life due to their impairment?

Further - people always react to the abnormal with revulsion-sympathy, humor, or praise-sympathy. Those babies look, quite interestingly, like frogs. You can either chuckle on the inside, or cry/die a little inside. Sure - I can't imagine what it would be like to be a parent of such a child, and I'm sure it'd be more horrifying than anything I've ever experienced coupled with extreme disappointment.

Humor can be as much of a psychological defense mechanism as anything else. Rather than imagine the pain those people must feel - cracking a joke is a good way to keep one's distance while being able to move on to other issues in the day.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aim64C

You're surprised that people are curious about abnormal things? Ashamed, even?

No, I didn't say that. The video is clearly exploitive in the manner the child is handled right down to their laughing. This is sick and shouldn't be promoted on ATS.

Humor can be as much of a psychological defense mechanism as anything else. Rather than imagine the pain those people must feel - cracking a joke is a good way to keep one's distance while being able to move on to other issues in the day.

It's a good way? Interesting use of words. No it's immature and disturbed. I hope that everyone who made jokes at this unfortunate child's expense has a child of their own with the same condition. FYI, some of these people are renound on this forum for a history of such comments/behaviour. This is how some of these assclowns roll. I hope they suffer for the poor examples of humanity that they are.

Happy Now?

IRM :shk:
edit on 16/4/11 by InfaRedMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Perhaps.

I simply don't see the reason for getting worked up, or even wishing such a thing upon someone.

I also like to go against the grain every now and then. I figure the only reason to speak is when something hasn't been said. Yet another condemnation of other people's behavior would not be productive or stimulate any thought.

Such as the story of one of these kids living to see a year old, and the mother commenting: "he's changed so many lives!" - It's a completely silly notion and an attempt to rationalize the selfish action of keeping such a child alive. I'll grant that, perhaps, the child has served as a catalyst for one's own self-reasoning abilities - but that's about it.

I don't really see the logic in feeling sorry for a 'child' that isn't really human or cognitive. Feeling sorry for the mother who had to give birth and see that come out of her? Yeah - I'll agree on that point. Otherwise, my cat is more human than any of the children born with this defect. In cultures where children are both a source of labor and the continuation of the family (where these defects are more common) - it's completely useless - if not seen as being the result of some kind of evil or curse. Expecting it to be handled with any kind of respect is just setting yourself up for disappointment.

Of course - I also don't see the reason behind insisting a child born with serious mental or physical defects be given a "fair chance at life." An interesting choice of words, too - as they are already starting out with some seriously unfair circumstances that will force them to struggle simply to be considered average. I find it to be a selfish ideal.

Like I said - I generally don't like posting when all I'll be doing is agreeing with everyone else.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 12:44 AM
link   
This thread is just disgusting, I really don't have anything more to say, the only unfortunate people who should have to witness and bear such a tragedy are the parents and doctors present at such event.

This type of defect should have been aborted before it came to this as there are ways to tell fairly easily that this defect is present and the baby has 0 chance of life, if for some reason it was missed or mis diagnosed, this is not a freak show, this is somebody's child, and.... Still a baby. Some of the people and the comments in this thread, truly make me sick to my stomach....

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 03:29 AM
link   

I don't really see the logic in feeling sorry for a 'child' that isn't really human or cognitive. Feeling sorry for the mother who had to give birth and see that come out of her? Yeah - I'll agree on that point. Otherwise, my cat is more human than any of the children born with this defect.

The child is human albeit unfortunate. To suggest your cat has more humanity is patently ridiculous. If it happened to your child, you may feel differently toward such an ignorant and ill conceived notion.

Like I said - I generally don't like posting when all I'll be doing is agreeing with everyone else.

There's nothing productive in being a contrarian just for the sake of it. All that really means in your viewpoint is not authentic and somewhat fabricated. Being contrary is not playing the devils advocate.

IRM

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ghostcat

Originally posted by crazydaisy
reply to post by Caji316

We, 99% of us here at ATS don't look kindly on foolish comments made on things like this...Right Members?

Absolutely correct! I was thinking of not returning
to this thread if people want to be foolish and
disrespectful to life.

Count me in the 99%. Deny Ignorance? Where is that "Ignore" Ignorance button? (oxymoron here) I jumped into ATS because I felt that most here were curious as I was and had experienced some kind of cosmic slap. Insensitivity is immature - oh - and ignorant.

Count me in as well.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 05:32 AM
link   
reply to post by calstorm

You are very, very wrong. Crying is a reflex, as of a natural defense mechanism in babies, they cry, their mothers take care of them, they feel secure. Nothing conscious about it. These children are born without brains, some(most?) have brain stems. They cannot feel pain, emotion, their movements and sounds (crying) are reflexes. It's sad to see, but it exempts them from our pathetic circle of materialistic ideas. I almost envy them.

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join