It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poll: 4 in 10 Southerners Still Side With Confederacy

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
4 in 10 southerners couldn't spell confederacy. 4 in 10 southerners have less than 4 teeth also. 4 in 10 southerners married their sister.

so this poll isn't alarming.

The day after september the eleventh
a friend of mine actually said the following.

You wana know how you could get killed.
Go to the middle of times square,
unfurl a confederate battle flag, and say
"That's what you yankees get!"

I looked at him with mouth agape.

Oh, and you got that backwards,
I don't have less than four teeth,
I'm missing four teeth.
Not the same thing.

David Grouchy
edit on 13-4-2011 by davidgrouchy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   
If it means that I don't have to listen to any more speeches about kids missing the chance to see the Smithsonian or that parents in Chicago aren't capable of packing a school lunch, or that the UN sanctioned kinetic operation in Afghanistan can't be "won", than I'll back the Confedreacy too. As if it all matters since WE ALL DIE next year on 21/21/2012. RRRRIIIIIIIGGGGHHHHHTTTTTTT !! ! ! ! ! ! !! !

edit on 13-4-2011 by CosmosKid because: spelling

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Is was over states rights, and to add to that the South wasn't the only ones to have slaves. The North had their fair share of them too.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   
As being from Texas the hate I have is my great land, The Republic of Texas, being forced into a tyrannical country called the United States. How are we and 12 other states, United with this bowel movement called America.We are not untied as a country anyways. Many religions, many political parties, race, origins. Humans can never be untied. Humans do everything backwards. They destroy health, planets, each other, school systems, etc. Wake up, go to washington (DISTRICT OF COLOMBIA) and start kicking ass 'cause it looks to me like if 100 AMERICAN passengers can't stop 4 ragheads with BOX CUTTERS then you all are screwed.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by rowdyrich

Oh and don't forget BLACK slave trade was started by DUTCH (WHITE) people to the America's. But of course modern day blacks blame us, American whites for using them. Guess what blackies, you were housed, fed, and lived. Being human is to live and learn. But to hold a grudge is a negative force that eats at your soul. Do some history reading before you point the fingers.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   
To the OP - it seems that this is a case of the victor writing the history and that everyone in the confederacy and every idea of the confederacy is being cast in the light of slavery and racism. I personally believe that slavery was on the way out and would have reached a much more amicable balance between white and black but the war led to 150 years of division which was primarily stirred up in the aftermath of the war.

The non-slavery ideals of the confederacy deserved attention and I believe the loss of those ideals ushered in the infiltration and take over of the Union/United States by an oligarchy after the war.

I do hope you understand the war was not about slavery - the North didn't go to war to free the slaves - they went to war for power and money. The freeing of the slaves was deemed a necessary evil by many in the North and the rough dehumanizing treatment of slaves and their descendant that fled to the North ever since testify to that.
edit on 4/13/2011 by ararisq because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarkKnight76
leaving them with no free labor to farm their cash crops. The North had no use for slaves as they became more industrialized. Different economies..

I'm not an advocate for slavery, but slaves WERE NOT FREE LABOR!!!..
People saved and bought slaves with their own blood, sweat, and tears (money)...
edit on 13-4-2011 by hillynilly because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Frankly, myself being from California, it's no surprise that people would think the Civil War was fought over slavery. Anyone of rational mind would know better, though.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by ararisq

ararisq,

Thanks you for your insightful post.

Of course I am aware that it wasn't fought over slavery...I made that clear further down the first page. However, I know that some people think otherwise.

My main question was why do "4 out of 10 still side with the Confederacy", from southerners themselves. To see how they felt.

Again, thanks for your post

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   
I want to say I am a southener trough and through so are all my family some dam tough people and very willing to do anything for you but piss us off or start s@@@ guess what?I cannot undersatnd all the b.s, regarding the civil war people fought over the bullsH_T that was going on!! look at some of the history I love the american flag and I love the rebel flag and would gladly stand on southern grounds anyday anytime!!!!

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by hillynilly

Originally posted by DarkKnight76
leaving them with no free labor to farm their cash crops. The North had no use for slaves as they became more industrialized. Different economies..

I'm not an advocate for slavery, but slaves WERE NOT FREE LABOR!!!..
People saved and bought slaves with their own blood, sweat, and tears (money)...

Lets look at it like McDonald's paying people at slave wages (minimum wage)..

At first their out money but OVER the tale of time (it saves them money in the long run)...

McDonald's pays for their slaves just as the southerners did in their time...
(mexican fruit pickers need apply)

(At least now the slave is payed directly) WAY TO GO 150 YEARS LATER W0000000T!!!

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   
this just means 4/10 southerners still knowingly side with british imperialism, with a british stylized flag, british stylized class systems with white on top, the theft of a native peoples wealth, a resentment to the french for help winning the revolutionary war and flourishing prosperity in new orleans, and a hate for the lack of assimilation by the REAL victims of the south.

born in new orleans and having family from folsom, robert, ponchatoula, shreveport and further east then leading west during death marches. the people who claim to be southerners that harbor any resentment (even pro black types like myself) do so because of a lack of respect they feel they are entitled. persons who are french seem to care little, persons who are italian seem to prosper in the environment, persons who are spanish (like spain) seem to revel in aligning themselves with some coonazz ideal of who they are and identify with eurasian policies even at the behest of others (mob mentality, racism), most irish who didnt rape and whittle away themselves in wars went onto greener pastures west and did so in growing numbers, the germans created what still remains as community centers and towns presently and were effected by the shifting culture of the event,the british came in numbers from england through the north with their culture and prior wealth intact unaffected by freemen policies and quickly took advantage of the opportunities, the americans of the northern states tried to emigrate and in the guise of their constructive metabolism their descendants are what primarily constitutes the racist,inbreeds,necks,hood rats, and lost people who claim the souths history as their own. i personally dislike what occurred and continues to occur because of the repercussions. but if louisiana can have a first generation american as governor then louisiana better love its neighbors who have been here for far longer than a generation!

i disagree with a war of aggression, but i dont side with either political party; as they both failed to be brotherly and non aggressive and loving to its neighbor: and calculatedly as a fictional entity with the backing by other nations decided to carve up what they feel was theirs to carve.

i would also say that the "civil war" was about slavery; and not about slaves. in the south people that were black could be seen as in a better position than uneducated blacks in the north from a black perspective, and people who werent black in the south could seem to view people in the north as having a quality of life that was more enriching. using the civil war as though it was about slaves when it was about the implications of business models practiced in the south and the emerging capitalism on a global scale in the north, both attributed falsely to slavery is the cover for other nations interests in the entirety of america at the time.

there is no option in the poll for people like myself. i would side with the confederacy because im from the south and who wouldnt want the backing of britain as a juxtaposition for having the right to practice business as a freeman sees fit in a capitalistic democracy legally. but i would side with the north because even though i have no northern blood for reference i could assume i would be rilled at the though of my twin brother saying hes leaving my family because i told him he needs to put more money in the family accounts because our family is getting larger; id beat him for the thought of thinking he could turn his back on me for such a reason, even if it was his right to freely be that way with me.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by roguetechie
reply to post by Juston

First off... The war WAS NOT about slavery! Not even a little bit!

Secondly the supposed "hero" in the entire drama (lincoln... no I won't capitalize his name as he doesn't deserve it) was the purveyor of the FIRST patriot act, otherwise known as the sedition act... Lincoln was a bigot through and through who only made the emancipation proclamation out of sheer desperation.

The civil war was about states rights pure and simple.... anyone trying to tell you different has an AGENDA.

edit to add: It is telling how "siding with the confederacy" is tantamount to being a "racist" or wanting to "own slaves" in the mind of most. Speaking as someone who has family who owned a plantation in virginia I have a couple things to say:

1. The narrative that is now being applied to slavery is in most regards a blatant fabrication! I have read the family plantation journals (which were meant to be a sort of guidebook of best practices for the next generation to use when their parents died, usually fairly young) when I compare what i read there and in other HISTORIES it doesn't add up to what pop culture tries to portray.

2. slavery was ONLY a southern thing... helpful hint here many of our ancestors came over as indentured servants. which was SLAVERY plain and simple.

The civil war was not about slavery, and those that sympathize with the confederacy/south are not "racists". The civil war was wholly caused by business interests that were locked out of the south's economic windfall by family run farms, plantations, etc agitating to set the events in motion that led to the civil war in order to gain control of the crops that they were buying at rates they didnt want to pay to make into goods in their factories.

Also... people should look into the carpet baggers that flooded south post war and took over land working the former owners to death alongside their former slaves on tiny share cropping lots. Anyone who has read the history and really GETS what they are reading gets an uneasy feeling that the civil war has DIRECT EFFECTS on the battles we are fighting today 150 years later!

It was the beginning of the federalist iron fist, as well as the beginning of government looking after the interests of a FEW big businesses over the wellbeing of the MANY citizens of this nation. It is sad how many do not realize the south was not a bunch of evil black hating rednecks.
edit on 13-4-2011 by roguetechie because: (no reason given)

How fast we forget and how slow we are to learn...TPTB were here and working their evil during the War of Succession...It had nothing to do with Slavery just like roguetechie has stated....Study people....Why are you intent on believing what someone tells you...especially a government..The winner writes the history....

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   
the south is as racist as it was back then ...

A long time ago I was once a Diesel tech. for John Deere and they sent me to school in Dallas, Texas. now I realize that's the south but just barely...others would argue the point, but I digress. \
While at this 6 week training I got to meet regular Joe's from all over the nation, and many stayed in the same facility as myself. several where from Louisiana, Mississippi and of course Texas. often when sitting around in the hotel lobby after hours, various topics would come up and we would debate them furiously. I soon came to realize that about half of the guys, all the southern ones, just couldn't call a black man a black man. There was ALWAYS an epithet in place of a normal racial description. Just think of one it was used.

I gave up trying to get these fellas to realize their idiocy when one evening I again went to the lobby to unwind (free keg of beer every night in the lobby FYI ) as I walked up i could overhear the conversation to fellas from Louisiana where talking. One said to the other, man I really hate having to kiss Nig -%@ rs as $^% es all of the damn time. The other said, I hear that best thing that ever happened to this country was the day Lincoln was shot. Damn Ni $@%er lover! I turned and walked away, you can lead a horse to water, but that doesn't make it smart enough to not drown itself. Centuries of racism is embedded nearly in the DNA of the south. That is very slowly changing. As new more diverse peoples relocate to the south, they are becoming more tolerant. However I don't see them as a people getting it in my lifetime.
Now before I get yelled at for picking on the south, My father and his entire side of the family 10 uncles 3 aunts and a bazillion cousins are from Texas. I love my father deeply he fought for many many years to overcome his prejudice slowly and surely he made me proud and now sees no color at all he just sees people good and bad. Most of my uncles are just like the guys i mentioned before, the others? well one for sure, he married a beautiful good woman from Mexico and lived a happy life with her.
I can remember when I did my Ancestry and found that I am part Mexican and Jewish, although my Scottish/English heritage is very strong and obvious. I secretly enjoyed showing each and every uncle the revelations.

Interesting enough, I am a descendant from a family of one of our founding fathers. strange how life and time takes one everywhere.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   
from my great white northern perspective
all you yankies are southerners

except for alaskanears

every country has to have devisions
so that the country can't unite against the bankers
north south
french english
star belly sneeches
no star belly sneeches
catholic protestant
black white
israeli palistinian
shia sunni
jocks nerds
yada yada yada

edit on 13-4-2011 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   
BTW it wasn't about states rights, it was about states rights to keep slavery legal. It all really got rolling with the Missouri compromise that set up a demarcation where slavery was allowed and where it wasn't. then Dred Scott v. Sandford, 60 U.S. 393 (1857) decision. when a slave went with his master to a non slave state, he declared i am free. He wasn't the court ruled that blacks are property and not people.

Lincoln did not propose federal laws against slavery where it already existed, but he had, in his 1858 House Divided Speech, expressed a desire to "arrest the further spread of it, and place it where the public mind shall rest in the belief that it is in the course of ultimate extinction." -- en.wikipedia.org...

This angered the south and heartened the abolitionists. Later once he successfully ran and won the presidency, the south seceded, even before Lincoln took office. There was a strong correlation to the number of plantations in the region and Support for secession. Slavery was their bread and butter after all.

Fort Sumter was a dodge to get the south to commit to war, Lincoln sent a supply mission for "humanitarian needs" to Sumter and announced to the entire south he was doing so, forcing the south to put up or shut up. they did and attacked Sumpter before relief could arrive. ta da war.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by CaDreamer

A man is not judged by the color of his skin!!! There would be a huge debate considering that if you go down south Elvis had great times with blacks and they loved him I knew the man; and depending on who or what it depends ; Let me put it this way I know white men in the south that will stand up for you no matter what as long as you are honest and I know men that will get their ass kick if they come screwing around with old hillbiilly bull# ; That my friend is the way of the south we have been criticized alot!! But why does everybody love it??

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   
personally, I have been to the south many times and for extended periods as well and lived in the mid west. St Louis, the south sucks just as much as the mid-west, some great people mind you generous and friendly and all, but when my wife was driving home from work one day, it dawned on me how racist the center section of our country is, my wife BTW was giving a co worker a ride home he is a Black American, i was in the back seat with the kid. most of the drive we couldn't go more than a block or two without angry sneers and outright yelling "stay with your kind" etc.

So keep the south its all your thank you very much, where do I sign the papers saying I as an American agree if they dont want to be part of the USA fine GTFO!

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Let's talk JESSE JAMES o.k,.? I am very in the know about quantrell and jesse are u/ I would have loved riding with the james brothers THEN . let us go further how about JOHN WESLEY HARDIN/???

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by condition9

Let's talk JESSE JAMES o.k,.? I am very in the know about quantrell and jesse are u/ I would have loved riding with the james brothers THEN . let us go further how about JOHN WESLEY HARDIN/???

What does that have to do with the price of tea in China?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join