It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is this object at the south pole?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 07:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dawnaj
cmdrkeenkid, well then shouldn�t the moon be seen on previous nights and forthcoming in the same manner. I looked up 2 nights before during the same timeperiods, 1.00AM-5.00AM, and only found the very small light just above the building on the previous night.

Clouds could be obstructing the cameras view, but I don�t know.

i haven't checked past pictures... but the moon doesn't rise or set at the same time or point on the horizon every night. perhaps the moon is just coming into frame of the webcam.

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 09:12 AM
link   

i haven't checked past pictures... but the moon doesn't rise or set at the same time or point on the horizon every night. perhaps the moon is just coming into frame of the webcam.

Yes, that is a possibility. I guess we should check tonight aswell.
It might be there again.

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 09:20 AM
link   
I guarantee it is the moon (which is almost full) and which is currently as bright as it usually is.

Oh, and before anyone asks: yes, the moon is rising and setting exactly where and when it should.

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Hi all!!

Another thought:

Why not email the site and see what they suggest? I would do this myself (honestly!) but I'm about to take some long-overdue leave and won't be able to access my mail for about a week.

Whilst I couldn't see an email address (I admit I haven't searched all the links!) there is a feedback form for the webcam as

www.aad.gov.au...

This would help identify what the light is - and perhaps anything else people would like to find out about Casey Station?

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 10:04 AM
link   
E-mailing them might be a good idea, except I have a feeling once anyone does that the webcam view will be changed to another location.

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 10:06 AM
link   
well i put together an email for the mawson station webcam thread... i could just use that, but change the information to suit. i'll edit once it's sent to include the email.

EDIT: email sent...

From
Sent Tuesday, July 27, 2004 11:18 am
To [email protected]
Cc
Bcc
Subject Webcam
Hello,
There is an active online forum debate at www.abovetopsecret.com... discussing an object seen in the night sky on July 27, 3:20 AM. People are claiming it to be the Moon, a comet, or something unidentifiable . So, asking on behalf of all involved in this debate, can you identify this object for us please? Also, what direction this webcam facing? Thanks.

Jeremiah St. Peter

[edit on 7/27/2004 by cmdrkeenkid]

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Well,

Don't bother e-mailing the base cmdr, I just went to the site and just as I suspected might happen, they have changed the view of the cam and it is now pointing down. The ? is, if it is just the moon, why change the view like that? This happened once before at another webcam located in the southpole when another bright object (which was little FURTHER up and away from the earth at that time 1 month and a half ago) was visible via the webcam and after many questions about it on another forum and possibly many people viewing the site they changed the webcam direction.

Possible reason:

Too much traffic to the site?
Just the "moon", move along and nothing to see here?
Or, an anomaly that is in plain view in the south pole?

Again, if it was only the moon, and there really wasn't too much traffic from people visiting the site, why change it? And, if it was not the moon and something else, what is it and what impact is it having on the earth and how do the recent abnormal solar activites tie in?

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 10:34 AM
link   
these are the theards you're thinking of mindpower.
Mawson Webcam - www.abovetopsecret.com...
Davis Webcam - www.abovetopsecret.com...

Mawson was were it was eventually moved and the thread slowly pittered out. We were given an explaination for what caused the light (moonlight reflecting inside the webcam's dome) and for why it was moved (headquarters asked them to move it in order to keep an eye on the station). perhaps it was something similar to that.

i'm sticking with saying it's the moon.

EDIT: even if it were "some anomoly" it's fairly low on the horizon, and it does set... which means it would be seen in other places around the globe. perhaps locations such as south america, southern africa, and australia.

[edit on 7/27/2004 by cmdrkeenkid]

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Quite right cmdr, and I am willing to see both sides of the coin of it being the moon, or something else.

I will have to research and see if the distance from the moon to the earth ever changes since this object seemed so close to the earth. Taking into account the way the water in the atmosphere on the horizon will make objects seem closer than what they really are (at least that's what modern physics says)

I don't know of any other locations reporting this object. It seems to rise and set rather quickly which could be due to the effect of the polar region itself, where the time it takes an object to orbit around the radius is very short, and the time is longer around the equator.

BUT, since the webcam view has been moved, there is no way to verify through observation the time it takes this object to rise ans set, and how OFTEN it does over time.

Also, I am not sure if there are archived webshots of this object or moon from the past?

Here are my webshots again:

community.webshots.com...

AND, here is the casey cam current view:

www.aad.gov.au...

What a change a day makes, huh?

Lets see how long my web shots stay online

[edit on 27-7-2004 by mindpower]

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Not just southern hemisphere places - but most of the N Hemisphere too.

The webcam was probably moved for the same reason it's always moved - to vary the images every few days.

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by mindpower
I will have to research and see if the distance from the moon to the earth ever changes since this object seemed so close to the earth. Taking into account the way the water in the atmosphere on the horizon will make objects seem closer than what they really are (at least that's what modern physics says)

the moon's mean distance from earth is 237,000 miles. it does however drift away from the earth a little more than an inch each year. this is because of tidal forces and the effects of solar wind.

also, i don't think that there is much humidity in the air in antartica. it is the world's largest desert after all! perhaps it could be humidity inside the dome the webcam is in fuzzing the image up.

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Well, I have never heard of other webcams from places where there is more to see ever changing their views. There really isn't much to see there in the south pole EXCEPT the horizon and the sky. Why change the view to the ground and a few buildings? And no, I don't think it was changed to keep a better eye on the people working there, this isn't "Reality TV"

I would think a webcam would stay stationary to view what it was meant to view.

Sorry, but I think that if it just the moon, change it back. If it is more than the moon, then there would be a reason to change the view especially if it might be a threat or unexplainable.

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Oh my gosh! This is what happened to the Antartica camera when there were suspicions of something in the sky! I don't know if any of you remember. I need to try and find the thread to the Antartica thing, or if anyone knows exactly where it is you can post it too!

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Well, I have never heard of other webcams from places where there is more to see ever changing their views. There really isn't much to see there in the south pole EXCEPT the horizon and the sky. Why change the view to the ground and a few buildings? And no, I don't think it was changed to keep a better eye on the people working there, this isn't "Reality TV"

I would think a webcam would stay stationary to view what it was meant to view.

Sorry, but I think that if it just the moon, change it back. If it is more than the moon, then there would be a reason to change the view especially if it might be a threat or unexplainable.

i think it was to watch the buildings themselves, not the people... besides, i would actually think the purpose of the webcam would be to watch the people. you can see stars, moon, and the sky anywhere at anytime, but this is one of the few places you can watch people do what they do down in antartica.

Originally posted by Godsent
Oh my gosh! This is what happened to the Antartica camera when there were suspicions of something in the sky! I don't know if any of you remember. I need to try and find the thread to the Antartica thing, or if anyone knows exactly where it is you can post it too!

uh, did you even bother reading the thread all the way through? i posted two threads similar to this one already.

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Thanks for the info cmdr,

My intuition tells me the moon and all of nature is in flux and is never constant so I guess the only permanence IS change?

But, concerning the atmosphere, I wasn't talking about humidity, just the water in the Atmosphere in general. It is the water in the atmosphere which allows us to see and interact with all the frequencies around us. Water is a storer, transformer and carrier of information.
Read "Living Energies" by Callum Coates and any work by Viktor Schauberger to see why.

I had no idea the south pole was the largest desert in the world? I assumed with so much of what I thought was Ice on the ground in the webcam that it was pretty cold and well, icey there

Also, in the photos I have online, there are clouds present, I wonder if that is normal? If it is the moon we are viewing then more condensation in the atmosphere is to be expected since there are always more storms at least 3 days before and sometime after a full and new moon.

Well, I would say keep an eye on the earth and weather and geological changes in general, as well as the sun since they are all tied together.
There is a full moon coming on the 31st, as a side note I am guessing that there might be some event to take place on that full moon, because all events in this modern world all happen in line with lunar cycles.

(remeber, it's just a guess:@@

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 11:16 AM
link   
uh, did you even bother reading the thread all the way through? i posted two threads similar to this one already.

Oops! I am so sorry, I am working on a lot of other things on the computer at the same time. I'm an idiot and apologize
- didn't see your other posts and I am usually thorough about reading threads all the way through- really.

But for all that it is worth, it is kinda weird that in both instances where something was seen the cameras were moved. Just coincidence?

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 11:21 AM
link   
What's up godsent?

I am a firm believer of there being NO coincidences.

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 11:22 AM
link   

But, concerning the atmosphere, I wasn't talking about humidity, just the water in the Atmosphere in general. It is the water in the atmosphere which allows us to see and interact with all the frequencies around us. Water is a storer, transformer and carrier of information.
Read "Living Energies" by Callum Coates and any work by Viktor Schauberger to see why.

sorry, when you said water in the air i just assumed you meant humidity.

I had no idea the south pole was the largest desert in the world? I assumed with so much of what I thought was Ice on the ground in the webcam that it was pretty cold and well, icey there

a desert is determined by how much average annual prcipitation there is. if you want to go for where the highest temperatures are and where most sand is then it's the sahara.

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 11:25 AM
link   

What's up godsent?

I am a firm believer of there being NO coincidences.

Yeah, but lately everything seems like a coincidence, doesn't it?

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Godsent
Oops! I am so sorry, I am working on a lot of other things on the computer at the same time. I'm an idiot and apologize
- didn't see your other posts and I am usually thorough about reading threads all the way through- really.

But for all that it is worth, it is kinda weird that in both instances where something was seen the cameras were moved. Just coincidence?

no need to be diminishing of yourself... sorry i was a bit harsh in my response. and i think it's either why i think it was moved or as Essan said, that it's just to keep the pictures fresh.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join