It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is this object at the south pole?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2004 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Hi all!!

What about a new take on this - the midnight sun??

It would certainly overcome the "too bright" arguments??

posted on Jul, 26 2004 @ 03:50 PM
link   
it isnt the moon
i can tell for sure, because its right over my head right now (i live in brazil 50 S 30 W)

posted on Jul, 26 2004 @ 03:51 PM
link   
I will have to research that topic and see what I get on the net about a midnight sun at the south pole. It could be, but the ? is, are there trends or records of this having occured cyclically in the "past" and how would we get the photos?

posted on Jul, 26 2004 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Anyndur,

Your info is what I was looking for about the moon being vible in another location. However, was the moon visible to you at the same time as the "timestamp" of the photos from the webshots gallery?

posted on Jul, 26 2004 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Here are the photos.

community.webshots.com...

Will have to adjust times for the "zones" though

[edit on 26-7-2004 by mindpower]

posted on Jul, 26 2004 @ 04:04 PM
link   
mindpower

yes, is just i go out and look above to see the moon
if the photos at the site are in real time, it just cannot be the moon

posted on Jul, 26 2004 @ 04:06 PM
link   
doesnt it seems to be moving? look at the previous photos if it doesnt look like to be moving up

posted on Jul, 26 2004 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by mindpower
I have uploade "earlier" photos of this anomaly and posted them on webshots.com:

action=viewall&albumID=167688724

I am getting an error when I try and view the links you have provided.

edit* It says I am not the owner of the album and must be logged in to view it.

[edit on 7-26-2004 by William One Sac]

posted on Jul, 26 2004 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Genya
Hi all!!

What about a new take on this - the midnight sun??

It would certainly overcome the "too bright" arguments??

It's the south pole, which means it's winter time and almost constant darkness. The midnight sun occurs in the noth pole this time of year.

posted on Jul, 26 2004 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Yes it is moving, I believe, pretty quickly too because it is no longer visible at the pole (just a guess, I haven't checked yet)

Will, click on the link I have above.

Here is my original post of the webshots site info:I have uploade "earlier" photos of this anomaly and posted them on webshots.com:

NOW, the object directly underneath this "moon" is very interesting and I would assume that IT is the moon. These photos do NOT explain how this object is just the moon. Too bright.

Anyone care to save these photos and do a little photo shop work on them?

Anyone still think these "two" objects are just the moon.

If it is, then this has definitely been a learning experience for me. If it is not the moon.... then what?

Oh yeah, and the crescent object underneath it does seem to be a reflection in the lense, BUT what is the object itself?

Sorry, I have updated the link

posted on Jul, 26 2004 @ 06:04 PM
link   
hmmm i lost the object i had to go out so i could not see it for the last hours. Anyone now where is it now, or have any pictures of it in this right moment?

posted on Jul, 26 2004 @ 06:23 PM
link   
I made a little (2 megs) GIF animation of it.

It kinda looks like one of those mexican ufos to me

posted on Jul, 26 2004 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Seems like your gif link is not showing the pic.

posted on Jul, 26 2004 @ 06:34 PM
link   
The world is round not flat, the moon is what 300,000km away, and the south pole is on the axis of the world. Whats the longitude of the base? If its even near your half of the world longitude, then yes they can see it at the same time.

Why does it move so fast? Its their relation to the moon, and their position on the earths axis.

EDIT=
As far as what is in the picture and why it has two images, well simply could there be ice on the lense of the camera, defracting light??? No not in the south pole.

[edit on 26-7-2004 by Darktalon]

posted on Jul, 26 2004 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Well, if it is the moon, then that means the SUN is definitely putting out more energy than in the recent past to cause the moon to be THAT bright.

It can't be snow on the lense because on the 4 photos I have online, that lense flare or light defraction is present. I am not sure what it is, and unless someone can show proof with past photos that it is the moon, it will be an anomoly and worth keeping track of to me.

I wonder if this is really all tied in tith the solar activity of present and weather changes we are experiencing?

posted on Jul, 26 2004 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I put together a mpg clip, didnt notice someone else was doing the same thing, this ones smaller in size though, about 370kb.

download the clip

I was backtracking to around the same time yesterday aswell, figured if it was the moon itd be there. But I couldnt find it, well, a really small light phenomena above the roof was there, Ill get it up aswell in a moment.

posted on Jul, 26 2004 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Here is the time period 2.30-3.00 yesterday:
gif-sequence right click to download

posted on Jul, 26 2004 @ 07:33 PM
link   
thanks man ^^
hmmm this last one seems to be the moon to me, what you guys think?

posted on Jul, 26 2004 @ 11:24 PM
link   
i'm going to have to chime in saying it's the moon as well... using my nifty starry night software, i set my location to the same as Casey Station's (65 00' 00.0" S, 109 00' 00.0" E). and looked WSW... about the same height above the horizon is, you guessed it, the moon!

as other people said, the ice and clouds and the poor quality webcam make the light of the moon brighter and more diffracted.

EDIT: actually, the smaller light below the large blot may be the moon itself. i know at the other other stations the cameras are kept inside a plexiglass dome (or something similar) to protect them. the light from the moon reflects off the lens of the webcam onto the glass of the dome, and then back into the webcam.

[edit on 7/26/2004 by cmdrkeenkid]

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 02:35 AM
link   
cmdrkeenkid, well then shouldnt the moon be seen on previous nights and forthcoming in the same manner. I looked up 2 nights before during the same timeperiods, 1.00AM-5.00AM, and only found the very small light just above the building on the previous night.

Clouds could be obstructing the cameras view, but I dont know.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join