It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Britain ordered by the EU to allow prisoners to vote

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Not that it matters that they vote or not... since it's all rigged. The problem is the EU ordering Britain around like they own it.

Britain Ordered To Allow Prisoners To Vote

Prisoners will be given the right to vote after the Government lost its final appeal against a human rights ruling.

The ultimatum was delivered by a five-judge panel of the European Court of Human Rights, and means Prime Minister David Cameron must produce "legislative proposals" ending the current blanket ban on inmates voting in elections.

A statement issued by the Court said: "The Court now gives the UK Government six months to introduce legislative proposals to bring the disputed law in line with the (European Human Rights) Convention.

"The Government is further required to enact the relevant legislation within any time frame decided by the Committee of Ministers, the executive arm of the Council of Europe, which supervises the execution of the Court's judgments."

And if they don't comply :

Last November the Court awarded two UK prisoners £4,350 in costs and expenses for their loss of voting rights, which was ruled to be a loss of their human rights.

But he said the Government had to comply - or face possible compensation claims running into millions of pounds in a flood of new human rights claims by inmates.

And of course that money would come from the taxpayers.

And seriously, prisoners voting? What? They've done crimes, so why again should they vote? The EU are ridiculous.

And now the EU cares about human rights? Is this a joke? The US ran secret prisons in Europe (still runs them) and the EU doesn't give ultimatums to countries who do host them and let secret CIA rendition flights go through..... what a surprise NOT!
edit on 13-4-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   
And there something wrong with keeping people somewhat integrated into the same system your going to release them back into. So does this make it possible to run for office while still in prison? Will there be a prison rep. now?
Ahhh the possibilities are endless. Vote for me and I'll work to get your crimes expunged.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Last years election was rigged? ... So they rigged it, and thought they would make it look genuine by not getting enough seats for a full conservative government?

Of couse.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Well parlament term is 4 years so prisoners who are not going to be freed while they that goverment is in power shouldnt beable to vote , as very little of the policys that they "offer" will be irrelivent

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   
How ridiculous. When you commit crime and are then imprisoned for said crime. No way should you be allowed to vote. To put it bluntly, if you can't obey the law of the land, you should have no say in whos running it.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   
If Cameron has any balls whatsoever he should simply say 'No, it's not going to happen'.

The UK signed up to a common trade agreement in the 1975 referendum and not a European government which can dictate policy and law.

Any poltical party that proposed holding a referendum on continued membership of the EU would gain widespread support.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   
I almost spat my coffee all over when I read this thread title. I don't live in Britain, but I find this absolutely absurd.
They are in prison for committing crimes of whatever. They were taken out of society and have to sit in a cage for the duration of their sentence because they could not live by the laws of the country but they can possibly vote?

Sounds to me like tptb are worried about the average Brit with intelligence not voting the way they want so they want the ignorant criminals to vote hoping things swing more they're way? Idk, sounds crazy to me.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueInstinct
Last years election was rigged? ... So they rigged it, and thought they would make it look genuine by not getting enough seats for a full conservative government?

Of couse.

You may be joking, but you are probably not that far off the mark in reality. I, and many people, could see the hung parliament coming a mile off (years in advance to be honest). It could be viewed as a way to cool tempers, and keep the status quo of the left / right going for a while longer yet.

With regard to the votes for prisoners, it is a disgrace. Perhaps members here from other EU states can tell us whether this applies in their countries, or is just the UK being targeted by the EU? We all know that sometimes other EU states just disregard the laws.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   
To those who are against such an idea on the grounds that "If you cannot follow the law of the land you shouldn't get a vote", do you realise how easy it is to create laws that would make you the criminal?

Have you never heard of peaceful civil disobedience as a method of showing light on unjust laws? Nelson Mandela is an example of this.

Why shouldn't criminals get a say so in the election process? They obviously see something worng with the current laws. Why shouldn't they have the right to elect some one who will represent their desire to have such laws changed.

Sometimes I think Man is deserving of ever more tyranny as he obsessively seeks to be tyrannical over his fellow Man.

With Love,

Your Brother

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Arkansas
Ahhh the possibilities are endless. Vote for me and I'll work to get your crimes expunged.

Funny, in an odd kind of way. Especially in light of the status quo.

The current reality when working for western "government": Work for me and your crimes will be "classified", ignored or justified.

I don't see a whole lot of difference.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   
this is great; a crime: being an offense against others, is something we all do. and, your only allowed to vote and be "free" because someone decided you werent going to be in prison. but it is kinda trippy the power plays europe is doing with its governments, as an american do u think u deserve it?

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by IAMIAM
Have you never heard of peaceful civil disobedience as a method of showing light on unjust laws? Nelson Mandela is an example of this.

You mean the same nelson mandela that led the ANC into violence and bombings, and helped plan and plant a bombing in a supermarket killing both black AND white south africans?

You mean the same nelson mandela who refused to condemn his wifes atrocities involving pouring petrol into a tyre, placing it around a victims neck then setting light to it?

Just because he became a figurehead to end aparthied, does not make him any less guilty of the crimes he committed.

And NO, prisoners should NOT be allowed to vote - they gave up their rights to vote when they committed their crimes, by placing THEMSELVES outside society and soecieties rules.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Playstation 3's, widescreen TV's and waterbeds for all prisons... how many votes would that buy?

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by budski
You mean the same nelson mandela that led the ANC into violence and bombings, and helped plan and plant a bombing in a supermarket killing both black AND white south africans?

You mean the same nelson mandela who refused to condemn his wifes atrocities involving pouring petrol into a tyre, placing it around a victims neck then setting light to it?

Yes, that Mandela. Would Nelson Mandela have been driven to such extremes had he a voice any other way?
Such extremes are what people are driven to when they are denied freedom.

Just because he became a figurehead to end aparthied, does not make him any less guilty of the crimes he committed.

The subject isn't guilt. The subject is denying a voice to Man.

And NO, prisoners should NOT be allowed to vote - they gave up their rights to vote when they committed their crimes, by placing THEMSELVES outside society and soecieties rules.

Then sleep with one eye open, for as long as a Man is denied freedom; hate, anger, and vengeance will boil in his mind. Eventually the rage will find an outlet, and it may be you who sleeps soundly in their bed when the volatile mixture of oppression and rage explodes.

No Man or body of men has a right to rule another. Attempting to do so is why this world is locked in a never ending power struggle. The power is becoming godlike and soon even the common criminal will have access to weapons of mass destruction. Your society will become ever more restrictive and confining until one day even YOU are made a criminal in it's constant attempts to avert the catastrophe of annihilation.

Man will be free and equal, or Man will be no more.

With Love,

Your Brother

edit on 13-4-2011 by IAMIAM because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by IAMIAM

Put quite simply, you forfeit your right to be involved in a civilised society when you decide, OF YOUR OWN FREE WILL to take from others what you cannot be bothered to earn for yourself.

Mandela was a murderer, indeed a MASS murderer - nothing can condone or exonerate that.
The political process was moving forwards - mandela decided to move into violence.
There is no excuse for that, whatever the cause may be,

edit on 13/4/2011 by budski because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Put quite simply, you forfeit your right to be involved in a civilised society when you decide, OF YOUR OWN FREE WILL to take from others what you cannot be bothered to earn for yourself.

Man cannot take away rights. Maybe in Britain that is the understanding, but here in America we have acknowledged this even if we do not live up to it today.

I promise you that no amount of saying so will make this true. Silence a criminal if you wish. His voice will still be heard. Only it will be more loud and dramatic then your "Civil Society" can bear.

Haven't you learned anything from the IRA?

I do not advocate this method of expression, but I am not blind to it's inevitable nature.

As for taking what you haven't earned, Man has done that since the dawn of time. You suppose you own the land since you earned it. You nor your ancestors put one ounce of sweat into the creation of this world. All you and they have done is take from it. Some take through the system of rules established by others, some take according to rules they establish themselves. If we shared without rules, the problem would be solved.

Mandela was a murderer, indeed a MASS murderer - nothing can condone or exonerate that.
The political process was moving forwards - mandela decided to move into violence.
There is no excuse for that, whatever the cause may be,

So he is a murderer. So what. You do not think YOU have blood on your hands? Do you know how many are killed in this world by YOUR government which YOU support? All the conquests and wars of Empire building, the blood shed to support your culture and way of life, the countless bodies piled high beneath the throne of the crown, yes you are as guilty as anyone else. We all are.

The question is, when will we stop the madness? When will we accept our share of the blame. When will we renounce the system of old and build a new one based on Love and Equality for all?

Until then, you remain as guilty as the rest.

With Love,

Your Brother

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by IAMIAM

A lot of words to say very little.

We live in a society, society has rules - if you don't wish to live in a society, go elsewhere.

It's not MY government - I didn't vote for them, I dislike them intensely, and I am not blind in any way shape or form to their failings.
In actual fact I am one of this countries biggest critics - so it might be worth getting your facts right before making such an absurd assumption, especially considering my Irish heritage.

If you want to talk about blood on hands, go talk to your very own native americans.

The fact is that if you choose to live in a society, then you need to obey the rules of that society - I don't really give a toss how you want to dress it up, that's how it is.
You can't have a society based on equality and Love" when people refuse to play by the same rules as everyone else.

Go ahead and make your perfect society - I can guarantee that within a very short space of time it will crumble.

That aside, your posts are a mass of contradictions and make little or no sense.
edit on 13/4/2011 by budski because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Firstly, they ORDERED us to vote?
I say we need to get out out of EU phfft. They're dominating our actions and opinions now?
We're a country...we can make our own decisions thank you very much.

I completely agree with Budski's point here that they gave their rights up when committing a crime and going to prison.
Pray tell me so why we have prisons?
To separate them from society...so surely by giving them the vote...we're not doing that.

Are we not?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by BlackPoison94

BP - apparently on some planets it's OK for the EU to tell an entire country what to do, but not OK for us to tell those who have broken the law what they cannot do.

Meh, Utopia is all very well, but it's just a dream - sure we'd all like it, but it'll never happen as long as people desire to take by force from others what they don;t have the wherewithall to earn for themselves.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Allowing those convicted of misdemeanor crimes to vote, sure. Those crimes are of lesser affect on society. Bought some weed and were caught; ran 100 stop lights; cut down some protected species of tree? No big deal. No one was killed in the process, right?

Allowing those convicted of felony charges to vote? Why? Committing those acts is a blatant and outright violation and infringement upon the rights of others and shows the lack of regard for others by the offender. As such, having shown said disregard for others, the ability for the offender to affect the lives of others at every level, including voting, should be revoked.

More and more, I'm thinking the EU is living up to the phonetic pronunciation of "EU"... which alludes towards something that stinks.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join