It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Japan sinking? (Creepy Video)

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Beamish
Well, the second video says it is filmed in Chiba Province, and so could well be reclaimed land
The videographer says that it IS reclaimed land, near the end of the video.

I suspect the first video might also be reclaimed land.

If you live on a relatively small island like Japan it's nit surprising you'd want to make "extra land".

Even the US has reclaimed land in the San Francisco bay area and that land will also be very vulnerable in earthquakes.

Liquefaction in Past Earthquakes

You don't want to be flying into or out of Oakland international Airport when they have their next earthquake, just look at the amount of liquefaction expected at the airport!

So this effect isn't unique to Japan. But Japan will probably see more of it since they have more earthquakes, and possibly more reclaimed land.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   
That is so scary! I would be freaking out.....the people there must be so stressed out living with all this. S&F for sure!

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

Also, some of this reclaimed land is below sea level. No win situation.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Here is another one.....the water is just popping up out of the ground and gushing, and the whole street is moving up and down! This was from CNN

edit on 13-4-2011 by StealthyKat because: link

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by StealthyKat
That is so scary! I would be freaking out.....the people there must be so stressed out living with all this. S&F for sure!
That's what I found odd, some people seemed to be stressed just as you said, running in panic. But others seemed calm, like the guy who just stands there videotaping, and other people were even laughing! They didn't seem too stressed at all. Japan has so many earthquakes, I think they must almost be used to it by now, though they're not used to nuclear disasters.

Originally posted by Beamish
Also, some of this reclaimed land is below sea level. No win situation.
That's a problem with some reclaimed land...even if you build it up above sea level initially, it has a tendency to slowly sink even without any earthquakes. An earthquake can certainly speed up the sinking process and compress a few years worth of sinking into a few minutes.

But it doesn't look life threatening if they are clear of falling structures, I think it will only sink so far during the earthquake. I didn't see the water go above knee level in either of the videos.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by StealthyKat

Thanks for that...

I wonder,in how many Places does this occur over there?

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

I noticed that too. Some people laugh when they are afraid too....but I know what you mean, they probably are used to it, so when you see THEM freaking, that's when you KNOW it's bad!

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Shenon

I don't know, but I am trying to find out. If I do. I'll post it ok?

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by StealthyKat
reply to post by Shenon

I don't know, but I am trying to find out. If I do. I'll post it ok?

Yep,please do that. I u2u someone on ATS who is from Japan. Maybe he knows where those Videos were taken.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Im I the only who finds it awesome when mother nature decides to remind everybody who the real boss is?...

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Shenon

Thanks for sharing.....

al I can say is WOW

not good, not looking good at all!

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
S&F Will be following. How horrifying to know that the ground you walk on is unstable and prone to liquification. Ummmmmm, I dont know I think I would have to sell everything and do whatever it took to get to more stable ground...But some people might not have any capability to do so.....Scary scary scary stuff there!!!

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I don't want to live in a place where you have got to wear masks and have a surf board to get around.....

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
I got Zorgon to entertain the Question," Could Japan sink? " his answer was, " How could Japan sink ? The Pacific plate is subductive to Japan." Meaning the pacific plate is passing / sliding underneath holding it up.
I however see the pacific plates subduction to Japan as a force that is breaking Japan apart. This breaking apart
of the land mass causing the liquifaction we are seeing now. So even though I have great respect for Zorgon.
I believe I must say. That's how Japan could sink. Total liquifaction. Great thread SnF.

Now a glimpse into the future.With the Tokyo ( Wako ) tower still standing and many other sources predicting
that mother nature isn't at all finished with Japan. Just look at the possibility of 9.3 occuring in Tokyo. With
all of this liquifaction that will continue to progress before such a quake occurs. Getting out of Tokyo and even better out of Japan, seems to be the smartest play anyone there can make at the moment. How much warning do people need?
edit on 13-4-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Wow, these are some pretty impressive and frighting videos.
"Ground oscillation affects flat ground. The liquefied sediment starts to slosh into waves as shaking continues. Whatever is on top of the sediment gets broken and thrown around. Cracks in the ground open and close, and water or mud may erupt from them." This from geology.about.com...
Which is what this looks like...not sure how all the aftershocks will effect the grounds attempt to stabilize...although logic would seem to indicate that under stress it wont be able to stabilize.
S And F.

Kevin

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   
its.. well.. called an earthquake for a reason.. it moves the ground.. in essence.. it would appear that the land is severely fractured and compromised.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Japans not sinking. Its Liquidfucation. We had a # load here after our feb quake. Take a look c.
www.youtube.com...
Sorry about the langauge.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by StealthyKat

i know that i would not be standing in a puddle/new found lake when power lines are coming down
risky imo
edit on 13-4-2011 by pleasetryagain because: i like turtles

edit on 13-4-2011 by pleasetryagain because: turtles..

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by dude69

Indeed. She is a powerfull mistress. But some people tend to think she can be tamed. Maybe for a little while but when she brakes free of her shakles you better notice because she has us by the (blips) ALL THE TIME. You better believe it.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
This is mother nature speaking in a very BIG way. I would be so outta there if I was in Japan. If I was homeless or broke I would ask everyone for ONE DOLLAR and save myself if thats what it took, but I would do whatever it took to flee from there ASAP. These people are crazy for staying there. Anyone who stays is an IDIOT! I'm sorry.....but not really though!

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join