It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Maj. Donald Keyhoe and UFO's - Co-founder of NICAP

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 07:45 AM
link   
I will start by saying that i have posted a similar thread in the past in regard to Maj. Keyhoe and his interview on the Mike Wallace and how it relates to Roswell in an obscure way.

ATS Thread(23/04/2010): Clue to Roswell - Don Keyhoe

More specifically he talks about 1947-48 and that how a Top Secret memo was sent in 1947 stating categorically that UFO's were real and that they are interplanetory spaceships.... ( Remember this was filmed in 1958, long after Roswell had been buried untill it was reopened in the mid 80's )

The reference to these statements is in part 1 of the interview near the end(See below clip)

Apart from the above references I beleive Maj. Keyhoe needs more regonition for his work in the UFO field and assistance in setting up NICAP along with physicist Thomas Townsend Brown.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/44789265e6b9.jpg[/atsimg]

Maj. Donald Keyhoe (Wikpedia)

Donald Edward Keyhoe (June 20, 1897 - November 29, 1988) was an American Marine Corps naval aviator,[2] writer of many aviation articles and stories in a variety of leading publications, and manager of the promotional tours of aviation pioneers, especially of Charles Lindbergh.

In the 1950s he became well-known as an UFO researcher, arguing that the U.S. government should conduct appropriate research in UFO matters, and should release all its UFO files. Jerome Clark writes that "Keyhoe was widely regarded as the leader in the field" of ufology in the 1950s and early-to-mid 1960s.

Keyhoe - 'Flying Saucers Are Real'

Following Kenneth Arnold's report of odd, fast-moving aerial objects in the summer of 1947, interest in "flying disks" and "flying saucers" was widespread, and Keyhoe followed the subject with some interest, though he was initially skeptical of any extraordinary answer to the UFO question. For some time, True (a popular American men's magazine) had been inquiring of officials as to the flying saucer question, with little to show for their efforts. In about May 1949, after the U.S. Air Force had released contradictory information about the saucers, editor Ken Purdy turned to Keyhoe, who had written for the magazine, but who also, importantly, had many friends and contacts in the military and the Pentagon.

After some investigation, Keyhoe became convinced that the flying saucers were real. As their forms, flight maneuvers, speeds and light technology was apparently far ahead of any nation's developments, Keyhoe became convinced that they must be the products of unearthly intelligences, and that the U.S. government was trying to suppress the whole truth about the subject. This conclusion was based especially on the response Keyhoe found when he quizzed various officials about flying saucers. He was told there was nothing to the subject, yet was simultaneously denied access to saucer-related documents.

Keyhoe's article "Flying Saucers Are Real" appeared in the January, 1950 issue of True (published December 26, 1949) and caused a sensation. Though such figures are always difficult to verify, Captain (U.S. Air Force), Edward J. Ruppelt, the first head of Project Blue Book, reported that "It is rumored among magazine publishers that Don Keyhoe's article in True was one of the most widely read and widely discussed magazine articles in history."

NICAP(Wiki)

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3fdaa934b895.jpg[/atsimg]

Founded - October 24, 1956
HQ - Washington
Website - nicap.org

National Investigations Committee On Aerial Phenomena

The National Investigations Committee On Aerial Phenomena (or NICAP) was a civilian unidentified flying object research group active in the United States from the 1950s to the 1980s.

History:

1950sNICAP was founded on October 24, 1956, by physicist Thomas Townsend Brown. The board of governors included several prominent men, including Donald Keyhoe, Maj USMC (Ret.), and former chief of the Navy’s guided missile program RADM Delmer S. Fahrney USN (Ret.)

By early January 1957, however, Brown had proved so financially inept that the board asked him to step down. Fahrney replaced him, then convened a press conference on January 16, 1957 where he announced that UFOs were under intelligent control, but that they were of neither American or Soviet origin. The press conference received major attention, doubtless aided by Fahrney’s stature.

In April 1957, Fahrney resigned from NICAP, citing personal issues. It was later disclosed that his wife was seriously ill.[4] Fahney was bothered by the whispers and ridicule his UFO interests generated among many of his peers in the military.[citation needed]

Keyhoe became NICAP’s director. He established a monthly newsletter, The U.F.O. Investigator. Another prominent figure joined NICAP’s board of governors: Keyhoe's Naval Academy classmate VADM Roscoe H. Hillenkoetter, USN (Ret.) He had been Director of Central Intelligence and first head of the Central Intelligence Agency. Another important name on the letterhead was that of Gen. Albert Coady Wedemeyer USA (Ret.)[5]

The organization had chapters and local associates scattered throughout the United States. Many of their members were amateurs, but a considerable percentage were professionals, including journalists, military personnel, scientists and medical doctors. One of NICAP’s prime goals was thorough field investigations of UFO reports. They would eventually compile a significant number of case files and field investigations which Clark characterises as "often first rate"[6].

By 1958, NICAP had grown to over 5000 members. Keyhoe’s financial skills were only slightly better than Brown’s, and NICAP hobbled along for several more years, facing collapse on several occasions. For most of his tenure as director, Keyhoe sent irregular letters to NICAP's members, warning of the organization's imminent collapse, and soliciting funds to keep NICAP from collapse. According to Jerome Clark (see sources below), Keyhoe often paid for much of NICAP's operating expenses himself.

To the interview i discussed above - reference to 1947 in the last 2 minutes of clip 1 -

Mike Wallce Show (1958) - Maj. Donald Keyhoe

Here is another vintage UFO clip from the 60's that is intersting as well -

The Flying Saucer Mystery - Featuring Donald Keyhoe

These guys are some of the pioneers of UFO research and deserve more credit for all their hard work and what led to the modern UFO era of research.

edit on 13-4-2011 by Havick007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Donald Keyhoe and Edward Ruppelt , along side of Wilbert Smith, have been the three wise men that convinced me personally of the existance of flying saucers.
There have also been others, such as Lord Hill-Norton of Britain, Gen Douglas Mc Arthur,And the commanders of several of the worlds airforces, which have made statements suporting the existance of these vehicles from elsewhere. Sober, and responsible people who have come to the same conclusions.....These craft are NOT from here!
There is really no way the debunkers have a leg to stand on in the face of the testimony of these and others.
The shell game continues with misinformation slathered on top of innuendo , but the truth is plain for all to grasp.
The flying saucers ARE REAL..........................deal with it..............

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by stirling

I think it's a fantastic interview from an ex-military man.

Especially seeing how the subject was reported back in that era. It made me laugh when Mike Wallace quoted the columist Bob Consadine and that he attributed saucer witness' to quote ' cranks, nuts, screwballs and religious fantatics.....

Talk about military disinformation as Don goes on to say that he thinks Considine got his information from Col Watson at the Air tech intel at Dayton AFB....

Keyhoe also goes on to say that in his opinion ''the saucers are using Mars as base, saying that statistics say that everytime in the past 10 years the Mars has come close to Earth, sightings increase dramatically.''

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Havick007

Great post havick you have done your research i wish more people in this field where like you unfortunately. people don't care to know the history of why we even know what a UFO is today.
Look forward to seeing more posts from you they are always entertaining and educational !!! S&F
edit on 13-4-2011 by prodomino because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Very quiet night on ATS Alien forums.... hmm

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Excellent thread !!
I always maintain that it is extremley importaint that any one remotely interested in the UFO
subject should have a sound historical foundation and start their research with Keyhoe and the
earlier pioneers that ushered in the modern UFO era. Keyhoe was adamant in his quest for
disclosure. I had the oppurtunity to hear him speak back in the 60's. Thanks for putting up the
vids. Its a great learning tool for those younger members who wish to increase there knowledge on this matter.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Havick007
Very quiet night on ATS Alien forums.... hmm

Yes, it is actually. I think people are afraid to post. allot of hate threads going lol.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by 43LEO729

Wow, you've actually met him ? I praise you, just a question a little personal but how old are you ?
You wouldn't happen to have anything to do with LOZ would you ? just looking at your avatar.
edit on 13-4-2011 by prodomino because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Good stuff all around. I remember going over this in my UFO coverup book. Which I will recommend to you. Richard M Dolan is a historian that usually covered wars, so he was already good at digging up documents and memos. His last project tackled the US government UFO coverup from 1941-1973. UFOs and the National Security State. This should be the bible for people interested in UFOs. Just to know the facts anyway as this major told it.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by stirling
There is really no way the debunkers have a leg to stand on in the face of the testimony of these and others.

I would say that's true to a point. The point where we talk seriously about the type of evidence that we've gathered over the last 60 years, and what we've learned from it. What it all boils down to is that people see and experience weird things. As for them being interplanetary machines controlled by creatures not from this earth, there's no good evidence of that. So that's a huge failure, and it's where the bunk gets real.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Wonder where all the archives are

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by lightw0rker

Which archives?

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 03:50 AM
link   
reply to post by lightw0rker

If your interested in files relating to NICAP the FBI has quite the collection...

FBI Files - NICAP

It also seems that the FBI subscibed to the NICAP mailing list, there is even a letter signed by Keyhoe welcoming the interest and looking forward to future subscriptions, whether or not he knew it was the FBI is hard to tell.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by prodomino

Hello Pro
Yes I did meet him and it was quite an experience that I will never forget.
It was back in 65' or 66'. It was a general conversation after the lecture.
I am going to be 68 this July (the avatar) and lived through the 40's and 50's and was
there when it all started. Information was scarce in those early days. A newspaper article
once in a while burried on page 8 with the local arrest report. :lol
That is why I am emphatic on the younger members to get a good foundation.
UFO's at that time where considered to be part of the "kook" element.
Men like Keyhoe put there lives and careers on the line just mentioning
this subject. Now it is accepted in casual conversation.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   
I'm sure Admiral Roscoe H. Hillenkoetter (a CIA director, and suspected member of MJ-12) probably thwarted Keyhoe's efforts at every turn while he was a NICAP member. From looking at the history, it almost appears (to me) as if MAJIC wanted to get Keyhoe on board, but instead, he wanted to inform the public. I'm betting that Mr. Keyhoe saw a lot of evidence that he never disclosed as he didn't have the physical evidence to back it for others. Nothing but respect for the man's efforts.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by lightw0rker
Wonder where all the archives are

Here we go:

Major Donald Keyhoe's UFO Archives

reply to post by Havick007

Havick007, good thread and since Ufolgie.net was taken offline, NICAP is probably one of the best resource sites on the internet for UFO data - don't know if you've seen it but there's an interesting letter below about Major Keyhoe from Pentagon/USAF spokesperson Albert Chop who describes him as 'a responsible and accurate reporter' and 'a leading civilian authority' on the UFO subject - some of the incidents found on the 'Clearance List' are also very interesting and unexplained.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3035d6921500.jpg[/atsimg]

The Chop Clearance List

Cheers.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

I hadnt seen that document although if you look at the below document from 1960, it's amazing how much of a difference 7 years makes about the Air force opinion of NICAP or is it just that this is internal and wasnt meant for the public as opposed to the document you posted above...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/32d4312613f6.jpg[/atsimg]

FBI Files - NICAP (Page 20/25)

I love he he descibes NICAP and Keyhoe as a thorn in the side of many governmental agencies....

edit on 14-4-2011 by Havick007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
I'm sure Admiral Roscoe H. Hillenkoetter (a CIA director, and suspected member of MJ-12) probably thwarted Keyhoe's efforts at every turn while he was a NICAP member. From looking at the history, it almost appears (to me) as if MAJIC wanted to get Keyhoe on board, but instead, he wanted to inform the public. I'm betting that Mr. Keyhoe saw a lot of evidence that he never disclosed as he didn't have the physical evidence to back it for others. Nothing but respect for the man's efforts.

Thanks for jogging my memory about Hillenkoetter.I agree with your assesment thay Keyhoe did not have the physical evidence but I think he knew who did and pushed for disclosure through that venue,however as you stated, Hllenkoetter was on board to deflect any reliable information from reaching Kehoe.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 02:50 AM
link   

edit on 15-4-2011 by Havick007 because: error post

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   
I just wanted to add some further information about Donald's interview and that at about 4:20min onwards in clip 1 he mentions Project Magnet and that after a year they only has one considerable sighting or record on a gravimeter here is the official statement as reported by Mysteries of Canada:

Project Magnet - Shirley Bay

In 1953 Project Magnet moved into borrowed Department of Transport facilities at Shirley’s Bay, just upstream of Ottawa, on the Ottawa River. His research equipment included a magnetometer, a gamma-ray detector, a powerful radio receiver, and a gravimeter (to measure gravity fields in the atmosphere).

The press fairly quickly noticed Smith’s work on UFOs, and questions were asked of the Department of Transport. Denials were made, but it became obvious that something unusual was under way at Shirley’s Bay.

On August 8, 1954, a ‘contact’ was made, at 3:01 pm. The gravimeter results, recorded on graph paper, showed a very large and unexplainable deflection, and the researchers rushed outside to have a look. All they saw was dense cloud cover.
On August 10, 1954, the Department of Transport issued a report/press release admitting that they had been performing UFO research for three-and-a-half years, and that considerable data had been collected, though no definite conclusions had been reached. Although the report/press release indicated that initial data had been supported by additional research, the Department of Transport terminated Project Magnet.

It appears Smith was under pressure to deny his research results, and on May 17, 1955, Smith testified at a Commons’ Special Committee on Broadcasting that no UFOs had been detected at Shirley’s Bay.

Now apparently after a considerable record on the gravimeter they went outside to observe this object and reported it as a cloud...

I ask you this - How could a cloud effect a gravimeter?

The purpose of a gravimeter is as follows:

Gravimeter -

A gravimeter or gravitometer is an instrument used in gravimetry for measuring the local gravitational field of the Earth. A gravimeter is a type of accelerometer, specialized for measuring the constant downward acceleration of gravity, which varies by about 0.5% over the surface of the Earth. Though the essential principle of design is the same as in other accelerometers, gravimeters are typically designed to be much more sensitive in order to measure very tiny fractional changes within the Earth's gravity of 1 g, caused by nearby geologic structures or the shape of the Earth and by temporal tidal variations. This sensitivity means that gravimeters are susceptible to extraneous vibrations including noise that tend to cause oscillatory accelerations. In practice this is counteracted by integral vibration isolation and signal processing. The constraints on temporal resolution are usually less for gravimeters, so that resolution can be increased by processing the output with a longer "time constant". Gravimeters display their measurements in units of gals, instead of ordinary units of acceleration.

Gravimeters are used for petroleum and mineral prospecting, seismology, geodesy, geophysical surveys and other geophysical research, and for metrology.

Source - Wikipedia

So then how is a cloud or to be more specific water molecules in a gas form able to be observed on appartus built to observe gravitational annomolies?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join