It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Geomagnetic Storm in Progress - 13 Apr 2011 - Can it cause a large quake?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Geomagnetic Storm in Progress - 13 Apr 2011 - Can it cause a large quake?

www.nasa.gov

A G1-class geomagnetic storm is in progress, sparked by a high-speed solar wind stream which is buffeting Earth's magnetic field. High latitude sky watchers should be alert for auroras.

What is a geomagnetic storm?

The Earth's magnetosphere is created by our magnetic field and protects us from most of the particles the sun emits. When a CME or high-speed stream arrives at Earth it buffets the magnetosphere. If the arriving solar magnetic field is directed southward it interacts strongly with...
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
thewatchers.adorraeli.com

edit on 13-4-2011 by RUSSO because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 07:35 AM
link   
I know we need be prepared for this beauty:

A sky watcher from Marquette, Michigan took this photo before sunrise on April 12th

NASA SDO - Spiraling Active Region in Profile:

And I really hope this does not means more earth shaking, more earth quaking, more volcanic eruptions.

Some more info:

K-indices of 5 or greater indicate storm-level geomagnetic activity around earth.

Geomagnetic Storms: Probabilities for significant disturbances in Earth’s magnetic field are given for three activity levels: active, minor storm, severe storm. The geomagnetic storm probabilities are the estimated chances of at least one 3-hour K index, at the indicated level, for each of the next 3 days.

Active: K = 4
Minor storm: K = 5
Major or Severe storm: K > 6

The “K index” is a 3-hourly quasi-logarithmic local index of geomagnetic activity relative to an assumed quiet-day curve for the recording site. Range is from 0 to 9. The K index measures the deviation of the most disturbed horizontal component of the magnetic field.

Solar wind
speed: 520.9 km/sec
density: 5.0 protons/cm3

Interplanetary Mag. Field
Btotal: 9.9 nT
Bz: 6.7 nT north

Planetary K-index
Now: Kp= 5 storm
24-hr max: Kp= 5 storm

Source

www.nasa.gov
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 07:44 AM
link   
I don't know whether to feel relieved that I'm not in the direct path of the rays or disappointed that I won't likely be seeing auroras.

Very interesting stuff. It really puts the Earth into perspective with the solar system. We're a part being affected by it, not some separate entity special because we developed intelligence.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 07:47 AM
link   
I had just posted the question in another thread.. and found you

I had clicked on SOHO and saw yellow bars in the bar graph.. and was wondering if that was something to be concerned about.
However .. maybe I am not updated on my side.. because I do not see the red bar

Still learning and trying to understand all of this. Will keep watching this post

Thank you for the OP

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Varemia
I don't know whether to feel relieved that I'm not in the direct path of the rays or disappointed that I won't likely be seeing auroras.

I really undestand you
. I would like to see an aurora too. This should be one of the most beautiful sight and experience people can have.

In olden times people didn't know much about Aurora. She was mystical. She was dangerous and ominous. It was a warning about punishment or war and pestilence. In the Sami language the Aurora is called "guovssahas" which means "the light that can be heard".

"the light that can be heard". I wonder if this emit some kind of sound.

Link

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nekbet
I had just posted the question in another thread.. and found you

I had clicked on SOHO and saw yellow bars in the bar graph.. and was wondering if that was something to be about.
However .. maybe I am not updated on my side.. because I do not see the red bar

Still learning and trying to understand all of this. Will keep watching this post

Thank you for the OP

Glad you like it:

NOAA forecasters estimate a 25% chance of more geomagnetic activity during the next 24 hours. Aurora alerts:

Source

So, Im a little bit concerned, but not much.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by RUSSO

More info:

(TheWeatherSpace.com) -- A solar storm is in progress right now with the highest Kp-index in a while being recorded.

The solar storm has a Kp-Index of 6, out of the 0-9 scale. This is higher than any previous solar storms of this cycle, including the March event. What caused this without a flare?

"This solar storm is likely a flare caused storm," TheWeatherSpace.com Senior Meteorologist Kevin Martin said. "It may not have been Earth directed but a blast from the sun a couple days ago hurled a lot of material into space. This material sometimes does not follow a straight line, but can curve with the influence of magnetic fields and gravity."

Mid and High latitude observer should check out the skies and see if the northern and southern lights are around.

Martin is the scientist that thinks solar storms are triggers to earthquake activity. Will it cause a large quake? Time will tell but enjoy the skies for the next nine hours if it is clear, dark, and you are in a higher latitude.

Link

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by RUSSO

Very informative

I have an odd question... and maybe this is the wrong place for this question - If so please just re-direct me

I lived in Alaska as a child ... I loved .. absolutely loved the aurora's

In fact it was more of a tradition to watch the natural sky show.. than the fireworks on fourth of july

Now as an adult.. and so much that I read on this.. is it my understanding that these (though beautiful) were signs of high sun activity - or would this just have been normal for Alaska ? (( For reference.. I am.. SIGH ... 40))
So this would have been during my wonderful fun age of around 13-14

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   

reply to post by RUSSO

Very informative

I have an odd question... and maybe this is the wrong place for this question - If so please just re-direct me

I lived in Alaska as a child ... I loved .. absolutely loved the aurora's

In fact it was more of a tradition to watch the natural sky show.. than the fireworks on fourth of july

Now as an adult.. and so much that I read on this.. is it my understanding that these (though beautiful) were signs of high sun activity - or would this just have been normal for Alaska ? (( For reference.. I am.. SIGH ... 40))
So this would have been during my wonderful fun age of around 13-14

Hi, hope this can help:

An aurora (plural: auroras or aurorae) is a natural light display in the sky, particularly in the polar regions, caused by the collision of charged particles directed by the Earth's magnetic field. An aurora is usually observed at night and typically occurs in the ionosphere. It is also referred to as a polar aurora or, collectively, as polar lights. These phenomena are commonly visible between 60 and 72 degrees north and south latitudes, which place them in a ring just within the Arctic and Antarctic polar circles.[citation needed] Auroras do occur deeper inside the polar regions, but these are infrequent and often invisible to the naked eye.

more info here

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by RUSSO

And I really hope this does not means more earth shaking, more earth quaking, more volcanic eruptions.

The past couple of months I've been pretty keen on researching the Earth-Sun earthquake correlation. At first I thought it was all hokum-pokum, but searching through astrophysical journals I found a book published back in 2005 titled, "Multiscale Coupling of Sun-Earth Processes." So it's not just us crazy-folks who are interested in the how the two interact. I'm keepin' my fingers crossed.
edit on 13-4-2011 by Mishmashum because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mishmashum
reply to post by RUSSO

The past couple of months I've been pretty keen on researching the Earth-Sun earthquake correlation. At first I thought it was all hokum-pokum, but searching around through astrophysical journals I found a book published back in 2005 titled, "Multiscale Coupling of Sun-Earth Processes." So it's not just us crazy-folks who are interested in the how the two interact. I'm keepin' my fingers crossed.
edit on 13-4-2011 by Mishmashum because: (no reason given)

Thanks for the info. Its a book I will try to buy.
sfy

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by RUSSO

One question for you regarding this quote.

In the Sami language the Aurora is called "guovssahas" which means "the light that can be heard
Is it possible that this may be related to the rumbling heard around the world. Just a wondering.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarkRift
reply to post by RUSSO

One question for you regarding this quote.

In the Sami language the Aurora is called "guovssahas" which means "the light that can be heard
Is it possible that this may be related to the rumbling heard around the world. Just a wondering.

I dont think so, auroras are pretty common and knowed. If it had has something to do with the rumbling, we already should know by now. My doubts are why they called auroras this way.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by RUSSO

Ummm... Another "odd" question if you don't mind (btw.. I like your style Russo) - and again please point me to the right direction if I am out of line.
As stated before I remember watching these beautiful sights in the skies when I was young - and of course just cause I got older.. this beautiful thing of nature has not stopped.
So here is my question... If these aurora's are caused by the sun.. and does us potentially no harm - but gives us a stunning view in the night sky... Then why is everyone so upset at the accusation of "HAARP" creating the same effect in our night skies??
In addition.. if "HAARP" is in fact doing something to create these aurora's - - - and this "is" leading to Earthquakes... why have we not made the correlation in regards to the Aurora's caused by the sun.. which has been occurring as far as I can tell... for all man kind?
I hope I made sense

I guess this would be a questions for you as well Mishmashum

edit on 13-4-2011 by Nekbet because: wanted to add something

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   

reply to post by RUSSO

Ummm... Another "odd" question if you don't mind (btw.. I like your style Russo) - and again please point me to the right direction if I am out of line.
As stated before I remember watching these beautiful sights in the skies when I was young - and of course just cause I got older.. this beautiful thing of nature has not stopped.
So here is my question... If these aurora's are caused by the sun.. and does us potentially no harm - but gives us a stunning view in the night sky... Then why is everyone so upset at the accusation of "HAARP" creating the same effect in our night skies??
In addition.. if "HAARP" is in fact doing something to create these aurora's - - - and this "is" leading to Earthquakes... why have we not made the correlation in regards to the Aurora's caused by the sun.. which has been occurring as far as I can tell... for all man kind?
I hope I made sense

I guess this would be a questions for you as well Mishmashum

edit on 13-4-2011 by Nekbet because: wanted to add something

Auroras are the "visual effect" caused by the collision of charged particles directed by the Earth's magnetic field.

The earth's magnetic field protect us from the solar wind, a stream of energetic charged particles emanating from the Sun(geomagnetic storm can cause many problems as hardware damage and disrupted comunications systems):

About your question about the accusation of "HAARP" creating the same effect in our night skies? I only can say I "heard" some rumors about earth's magnetic field is weakening, and many governments would jointly BUILDING these so-called "HAARP" around the world trying to make (or strengthen?) artificially a new (reinforce?) our EMF. But I must tell you that this is mere speculation and I can not prove.

Here is a map of the possible HAARP locations in the world:

Possible Haarp Locations Map:

And a Video:

About Earthquakes, I cant tell you, all I know is that the CMEs MAYBE be a trigger. Here is the link where you can read more about this:

Martin is the scientist that thinks solar storms are triggers to earthquake activity. Will it cause a large quake? Time will tell

Would be quite ironic that, maybe, the technology HAARP can one day, save the planet from solar radiation, dont you think?

I hope this answer has been useful for you

Cheers.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by RUSSO

Once again you are amazing !!!!! You have actually put this in a way that I can understand

Honestly Thank you... and thank you for your patience with me

Fair warning... I got more to read.. so ya may be stuck with more questions from me.. hehehe

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Explains why I feel so much energy today. It's nothing to fret about, the Sun is our spiritual nutrient persay. It'll cause an earthquake if the mass human consciousness' magnetic fields project negative thoughts (such as fear).

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by RUSSO

Okay okay - - - question / hypothesis ... or merely just thinking out loud.
Ummm .. I notice there is a "possible HAARP" location sitting pretty much where Japan has had all of this activity... could it be possible that ... using your possible thoughts of "HAARP" trying to do good.. maybe one of these facilities ((like the one in Japan)) has "malfunctioned" ??
And putting myself back on topic... I can clearly see how if our field has been weakening over time.. these pulses from the earth would have more effect. In addition it could be possible that we now just see this effect more because so many of us have cell phones and technology that becomes disrupted back when I was a child ... it was just something pretty to look at - now we are getting a better understanding.
Perhaps these impulses have always effected us ... example I think of.. You can see the lights so much in Alaska.. and I remember as a child.. we were always having earthquakes.. just so many were so small .. no one paid much attention. ie... no one had a cell phone back then that got disrupted in addition to them noticing an earthquake after watching "all the pretty lights"

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 05:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Nekbet

I dont know how much this can be related and cant help you about this, but we are facing higher frequencies in cels and I heard this could cause cancer. Sorry cant help you on this, but is a interisting theory.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by RUSSO

Just caught this one - there have been several significant quakes.

...My research says it's the ELF's and ULF's that are associated with seismic activity and quakes, as well as health impacts. These low frequencies generally occur about 12 hours before a solar storm hits, and also after it's finished.

Solar storm watches focus on the high frequencies that disrupt techno-electrical stuff... Have been looking for a source that measures/tracks low frequency pulses (besides HAARP) - do you know of any?

S&F&

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join