It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christians what is the deal? You don't really believe this stuff do you?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 02:51 AM
link   
Christianity-

The belief that some cosmic Jewish zombie can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him that you accept him as your master, so that he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree.

You don't REALLY believe this stuff do you? I am a giant moron and even I am not gullible enough to fall for this nonsense. You SERIOUSLY believe it? I mean I KNOW I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer and even I can look at this and say 'WAIT a darn highfalutin second here". Is this some giant inside joke that you guys are all playing on me? Like a giant prank? If so you can stop the act. I know now. Come out and tell me the truth.

PLEASE tell me that you do not really believe this stuff and it is the greatest prank ever pulled in history. I really really need to see Ashton Kutcher jump out and yell YOU GOT PUNKED!

Don't even get me started on Mohammed riding on a magical pony up into outer space. That has to be something from a hidden camera show as well. I just have yet to find the camera.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 02:54 AM
link   
oh, its one of these threads again.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 03:00 AM
link   
Actually it's the Christians that got punked!

Paratrooping bible-thumpers landing in 5...4...3...

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 03:09 AM
link   
reply to post by idonotcollectstamps

Athiests what is the deal? You don't really believe this stuff do you?

Athiests-

The belief that there was nothing & nothing happened to nothing & then nothing magically exploded for no reason creating everything & then a bunch of everything magically rearranged itself for no reason which then turned into dinosaurs.

You don't REALLY believe this stuff do you? I am a giant moron and even I am not gullible enough to fall for this nonsense. You SERIOUSLY believe it? I mean I KNOW I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer and even I can look at this and say 'WAIT a darn highfalutin second here". Is this some giant inside joke that you guys are all playing on me? Like a giant prank? If so you can stop the act. I know now. Come out and tell me the truth.

PLEASE tell me that you do not really believe this stuff and it is the greatest prank ever pulled in history. I really really need to see Ashton Kutcher jump out and yell YOU GOT PUNKED!

Don't even get me started on Darwin riding the magical missing link up into outer space. That has to be something from a hidden camera show as well. I just have yet to find the camera.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 03:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Frankenchrist

It's my rant and ill rant how I want to, rant how I want to RANT how I want to! You would rant to if this happened to you!

You guys believe in Magic. Instead of calling it a miracle just fess up and admit that YOU BELIEVE IN MAGIC! It is magic and you seriously SERIOUSLY think that magic is real. How does magic work? Magic goes in magic comes out, you can't explain that.

You believe in magic if you are a Christian and you try and pretend you don't by using the term "miracle" instead. Just ADMIT that you believe in magic.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 03:13 AM
link   
I honestly think Christianity has good teachings at its core, but much of what was supposed to passed down through generations has become so adulterated that it no longer makes much sense.

For example, I think that tree of knowledge story you're talking about actually says that humans are doomed to seek ever increasing amounts of knowledge by virtue of having sought any of it in the first place.

The snake could be akin to prometheus, who the Greeks supposed gave us fire; the snake gave humanity knowledge (symbolized as a tree because of the way knowledge is an everlasting "branching off" of ideas). Eve ate the apple (the first piece of knowledge) and ever since humanity has ceased to view the world as perfect-- From that moment we've sought to improve our world only to find that improving upon what the creator gave us seems to be an impossible feat. Because of our endless quest and assignment of purpose to life, we find that we can no longer bask in the bliss of ignorance. Thus we have fallen from Eden, the perfect garden.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 03:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Lionhearte

The belief that there was nothing & nothing happened to nothing & then nothing magically exploded for no reason creating everything & then a bunch of everything magically rearranged itself for no reason which then turned into dinosaurs.

When compared to

A God that has always existed for all infinity suddenly after an infinite amount of time OUT OF THE FREAKING BLUE decides that he is going to create the universe.

Apply occam's Razor

???????????????

PROFIT

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 03:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by idonotcollectstamps
reply to post by Frankenchrist

It's my rant and ill rant how I want to, rant how I want to RANT how I want to! You would rant to if this happened to you!

You guys believe in Magic. Instead of calling it a miracle just fess up and admit that YOU BELIEVE IN MAGIC! It is magic and you seriously SERIOUSLY think that magic is real. How does magic work? Magic goes in magic comes out, you can't explain that.

You believe in magic if you are a Christian and you try and pretend you don't by using the term "miracle" instead. Just ADMIT that you believe in magic.

I never said I believed in this.

old rant is old.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 03:22 AM
link   

My last post was just to show how ridiculous your post seems in comparison.

I believe in God (I guess you could call me a Christian, I guess. I really hate religion though), but I don't see why there is ANY REASON WHATSOEVER that Science and Creationism can't coexist with each other.

Maybe you think all Christians think God "magically" created the Universe.

[Side Note]: What do you deem "magical" anyway? Is there such a thing as "Supernatural"? By OUR view, the world around us seems "NATURAL", correct? These two words shouldn't co-exist. Our Universe is natural, but what if there was another, separate Universe? Would they view our Universe as Supernatural? My point here is that, whatever you think is "magical" could just as easily be seen as "natural"

Back on point. Why couldn't God, in the beginning, have spoken the words, and suddenly there was a Big Bang, which sent the infinite galaxies flying out?

I can't remember the exact equation, but there is some mathematical equation that, when formulated, shows that the 16 some billion years our universe supposedly is, can, surprisingly, equate to 6 days. In mathematical terms.

Why couldn't God have formed the Universe in an easily, scientifically explainable way?

Honestly, if you don't think God could create the Universe, you really have NO idea what "God" means.

Look it up.
edit on 13-4-2011 by Lionhearte because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 03:23 AM
link   
Magic - The power of apparently influencing the course of events by using mysterious or supernatural forces

Miracle - A surprising and welcome event that is not explicable by natural or scientific laws and is therefore considered to be the work of a divine agency

You are now aware that a miracle is simply good magic.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 03:25 AM
link   

I just created a flame from my lighter.

To a child this looks like magic.

Is it magic?

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 03:26 AM
link   

Well, it could be that the god referred to in the bible actually only created earth (by created I mean set up, like a hamster habitat), because he wasn't really an all powerful being after all. Perhaps, as many people have speculated, we were created by a race more advanced than our own for observation/enslavement/something and were subsequently adulterated by some other race more advanced than our own, hence the persistent theme in creation stories that man did not always have knowledge/consciousness, but received it in some ancient time from somewhere else.

Honestly, I'm not sure you can really say if any creation story is the simplest, because humans occupy a very small portion of time and space in the universe, and all explanations I'm aware of are quite complex if you look beyond the surface.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 03:33 AM
link   
So is christianity the only religion on this planet, I don't ever see a thread Muslims whats the deal or Jews whats the deal. Rather than asking do we really believe this shouldn't you rather be asking yourselves what makes me uncomfortable about christianity that i have to keep attacking it. It strikes me as odd that atheists concern themselves with the believe of others when from their point of view nothing matters we are all gonna end up as dirt or at best bio fuel . If you convince us we are wrong does that make you special dirt I don't get it.

I put atheist into two categories that usually overlap they are either narcissistic, spoiled or both. It seems like they either cant admit there is something more important than them or that following rules is so inconvenient that its easier to say religion is nonsense so they don't have to behave.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 03:50 AM
link   
Yes We believe Jesus Christ died on the cross for our sins.
Also the universe has too much order. I just don't see how a giant explosion of space/time and matter created the universe. Peace be with you.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 03:54 AM
link   

Its not about an actual magical tree and a girl made from a rib its all figurative language. I mean do you really think that Christians believe a snake disrupted all of humanity's future by getting someone to eat fruit? Cause your nuts if you do.
do you think the Native Americans think they live on a giant turtle? # no its a representation of the general fragility of this world. geez look at ANY religion its all the same thing. a bunch of really cool # worded well trying to describe human nature on a higher level
with some pretty kick ass morals about respecting your fellow people as well as yourself. and no i don't believe you must drink wine and eat bread to receive salvation. I believe that when you drink wine and eat bread you salivate

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 04:10 AM
link   
reply to post by supergod

Call me nuts. Hook line and sinker. And I have a university education too, including the study of evolution. What makes you think that Christians chalk everything up to allegory? There are some vocal people who do that - but I tell you there are plenty of us who take the books of the bible literally, except for where the bible expressly claims that it is being allegorical.

Darwinism is so 1800s. They didn't even know about DNA when that theory was formulated - or how mitochondria worked - and it should have been shelved as a theory the moment we found out just how deeply complicated life really is.

But I believe that there has been great deception ongoing for some time now... And yes, I suspect the same serpent of old is to blame for that too ;-) with much help from us mortals.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 04:16 AM
link   

3....2...1... yes, I have landed... so to the OP who claims they are "a giant moron" and "not the sharpest knife in the drawer" here is my reply to you....

This is really what I hate the most, is someone coming on here who has probably not even read more than three sentences in the bible, if any and trying to act like they know what they are talking about, a rib-woman, a "talking snake" "a zombie Jew" " magic" etc. etc. etc. First of all, one has to have an open heart and mind, to even begin to read the Bible, and secondly, one must have the Holy spirit upon them or within them to be able to even understand the Bible. So to your insanely vague and black and white view/description of what you think "Christianity" is all about I can at least give you a few BASIC answers to your BASIC questions.

The bible, you must understand, was translated from it's original Greek/Hebrew into any version that you have seen, and to know what certain words mean, and to understand what they are telling you, unless of course you can accurately interpret by means of the Holy spirit, then one must know what the original words and meanings were. The "talking snake" you were talking about in the Greek is "Nahash" which is the serpent of old, or the magician or trickster, basically the evil one. It wasn't literally a snake, it was a BEING, referred to as serpent/snake like because it has lost its legs so to speak, now don't go thinking literally, I'm speaking figuratively like the Bible does often, I'm saying this BEING is one who has lost it's place in the Heavens. Interestingly enough, many American Indian names for this same "trickster spirit" (AKA the Devil) are ones like, Nahashne, Nahnabuju, sp? Wow, these names are very similar? So if your asking do I believe in such a being, well yes, of course, I see remnants of this being in humanity everyday, parts of this being working IN people, IOW, evil, I see it, I believe it! Now, the tree, oohhhh the Tree, if one (not you!) actually studies the bible, trees are often times representative of people, or humans, or even individuals. For example, the tree that bears good fruit are referring to people, as trees, who's actions are good, therefore, there is a reward, or a fruit figuratively (biblically) speaking. So the Tree of Knowledge, in my opinion, is also talking about another being, or some action or knowledge from a being, that when tasted, or tried, gave Eve knowledge, and I think that was magic, sex, technology, things which were not in our (humans) original nature, our innocence was gone and they even realized they were naked, whereas they were unaware before. Do I believe this happened YES. Genesis is only the oldest known text in the world as we know it. Please look beyond text books, and Fox news and Wii and your Ipod when it comes to life. Please realize that just because you are a "hu-man" doesn't mean that you're the king of the universe and nothing can't exist besides what you have seen and experienced in your short time here.
I will pray for you, and why don't you try actually reading the Bible sometime, you may be surprised at what you can start to understand. You are so unaware of what you don't know and what you think you know, as I too have a lot more to learn.

Magic, magic in the Greek is the word "pharmakia" which means witchcraft or evil craft, and that is where we get the word Pharmaceuticals from, our modern medicine is an example of magic. Do I think YHWEH (Jesus) was magic, NO, he was not... I could go on and on but my point being, it's really not good to start a thread on something you know nothing about.

And think about this, in 2001 the human genome was sequenced, showing there are 223 genes that are somewhat foreign to earth creatures and plants, where did these genes come from, also evolution theory is told in Genesis, in ORDER. Who's to say, 7 days were actually 24 hr days in "God years".... I think/hope you are gettin' my drift.

Peace,
Marriah

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 04:20 AM
link   
Just to chime in: The Religious excuse that nothing could have come out of nothing and that THAT is why they believe there must be a god, is a logically flawed argument. Using this excuse the religious are assuming that everything needs a creator, but then just as easily asked, who created God?

They tend to reply with "God doesn't need a creator, he is god".

But you just said that everything needs a creator?

-------------------

I for one believe the universe has been here forever, big bang or not. The big bang could be like a recycling process for all you know. Everything grows, everything dies, everything dead is recycled, then boom, everything grows again. We see this process everywhere, in stars, in planets, in our planet's ecosystem, it's almost like a perpetuating MEME. Why wouldn't the entire universe be the same?
edit on 13-4-2011 by Somehumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 04:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by idonotcollectstamps
Christianity-

The belief that some cosmic Jewish zombie can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him that you accept him as your master, so that he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree.

Don't even get me started on Mohammed riding on a magical pony up into outer space. That has to be something from a hidden camera show as well. I just have yet to find the camera.

You know I actually heard a story of a medical doctor who didn't believe in God, he and his pastor friend would always debate weather or not there was a god. Well anyways time went on and finally the medical doctor was on his death bed because of a deadly medical condition Well as he was on his death bed he went on to explain how he started to feel that if he slipped all the way he would have been in hell he said it was the worst feeling he had ever experienced and never wanted to experience it again. So he called his pastor friend up and told him "It's time." He had told him he was in the hospital and he was on his death bed. So his friend came to visit him in the hospital and when he got there, the man that was dying asked the pastor if there was anything he could do so that he didn't go to hell. The pastor knew what to do and started him off on the sinners prayer "Heavenly Father, have mercy on me, a sinner. I believe in you and that your word is true. I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of the living God and that he died on the cross so that I may now have forgiveness for my sins and eternal life. I know that without you in my heart my life is meaningless.

I believe in my heart that you, Lord God, raised Him from the dead. Please Jesus forgive me, for every sin I have ever committed or done in my heart, please Lord Jesus forgive me and come into my heart as my personal Lord and Savior today. I need you to be my Father and my friend.

I give you my life and ask you to take full control from this moment on; I pray this in the name of Jesus Christ." After that he still thought he was going to die but He was no longer scared and knew he was going to be with the lord but somehow he beat all odds no chance of living whatsoever and he lives this day. His story is here. God Bless.

I don't know how to embed videos on ATS so here's the link. www.youtube.com...

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 04:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Somehumanbeing

First Law of Thermodynamics, Science fact- "energy can not be created nor destroyed, only transformed" so where did it come from? I really don't think people have the right idea of who/what God really is at all, God is not a person, is not a being with hands......I am a Biology major, Junior year, 3.5 GPA, I'm not stupid, and I'm practically a scientist and the more I learn about our universe, anywheres from a cell, to a planet, I am even MORE convinced than ever that there is a God, this place, cell, being, universe, dimension,earth is so utterly amazing.

Peace,
Marriah

top topics

<<   2 >>

join