It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Zip Strips - Cable Ties - A Myriad of Potential Uses.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 01:20 AM
link   
Tyton T120R9K2 Heavy Duty Cable Tie, 120 lb. 15.24"

... and all it takes is a coupla really thin sewing needles to render them 'reusable'.

Two packs worth [100] would readily fit into a small tube or a modified paper towel roll, for that matter.

Quick and easy.

Stuff it in your BOB or simply 'zip strip it' to the outside or wherever.

Taking up little if any significant 'space' or 'appreciable' weight, and with the 'reusable' 120# tensile strength they'd seem a definite asset to have on hand, in my opinon. (?)

- windings and bindings for shelter construction.

- mending otherwise unserviceable tools, equipment and gear 'along the way'.

- *emergency tourniquet*

- restraints, if need be :shk:

- that frisky li'l filly from ...

... nah, we won't go there.

NO. Seriously ...

Aside from the few or four potential needs or uses outlined above ... ignore that last one.

- I'd likely just quote pink floyd in my defense anyway.

How can 'zip strips', cable ties, etc ... best be used in Any sort, extent or degree of SHTF -type 'scenario'?

'twould seem a near Myriad of potential uses and/or applications.

ATS? thoughts? input?

edit on 4/13/2011 by 12m8keall2c because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 01:21 AM
link   
reply to post by 12m8keall2c

They are good for kidnapping people!

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 01:25 AM
link   
reply to post by prodomino

duck tape?

second

on a lither note , i am just curious , what made you think of this lol ?
edit on 13-4-2011 by Nephi1337 because: dont want to make the op feel too bad

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 01:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nephi1337
duck tape?

despite 'popular opinion' duct tape has it's limits.

on a lither note , i am just curious , what made you think of this lol ?

was merely 'restocking inventory' for what I do ... *and it dawned on me*

teasing ... somewhat.

more a question that popped into may head with regards, 'I wonder what ATS members could come up with?" -like.

I've a near myriad of uses for them, and given their lightweight, near non-existant 'notice' or encumbrance ...

What could/Do you use them for?

... came to mind.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 01:38 AM
link   

One of the best applications for zapstraps is cables, i find them great for server rooms etc. I use them for my boat all the time to, in the engine etc. they are great for crab traps aswell! for the bait

edit on 13-4-2011 by prodomino because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by 12m8keall2c

What could/Do you use them for?

I could use one or two to secure the 150-200 ft of 550 cord to my rucksack?

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 01:41 AM
link   

Of course ... they'll hold a chicken neck tight till the cows come home, but what type 'survival scenarios' have you or others used them in or felt a need for?

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 02:06 AM
link   
I have used them to hold milk crates togeather for storage purposes and have also used them to make sure my oars don't leave my rowboat of their own accord. I could also see using them to lash a stick and blade (knife or ax of some sort) to a stick or pole, make an improvised weapon. I could also see using them to help secure a door. (though I think duct tape could be more usefull in some of the situations where I would use a zip.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 02:09 AM
link   

Survival, actually was on my boat. me and a friend of mine got in allot of trouble on the ocean, the cable snapped for the gearbox, and we had to litteraly make a new gearbox cable with zapstraps. if i didnt have them i might not be posting right now, we where out on the gulf islands in a small boat.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 02:16 AM
link   

If it's a Merc I coulda probably helped you out.

tough times call for desperate measures

point/inquiry being just that ...

Heavy-Duty Zip Strips, Cable Ties ...

What Else are they good for?

edit on 4/13/2011 by 12m8keall2c because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 02:20 AM
link   

you can also secure semiautomatic guns with plastic zip strips threaded up through the magazine well and out the ejection port, blocking both mag insertion and bolt closing

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 02:23 AM
link   

your [survival-related] point being?

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 02:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by 12m8keall2c

your [survival-related] point being?

Nice way to secure your guns. in a survival situation it's nice to have a unique gun lock, lets say one of those doom style situations, end of the world. people running around robbing each other, having to live off the land. It's always good knowing some one cant disarm you and use your weapon against you.

They would also be great for making a shelter, using the straps to tie sticks etc, I wonder what the weight support is per strap might be an interesting fact to find out.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 02:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by prodomino
I wonder what the weight support is per strap might be an interesting fact to find out.

As noted in the OP - 120 pounds tensile/breakage strength.

Likely far more than your typical runner/binding stripped from the skin and bark of a tree branch.

compact. lightweight ... near indispensable, imo

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   
These cable ties must be removed from Ebay !

You can not buy a kitchen knife on ebay because ebay is part of the new world order but if your looking for a cheap stolen car or a man work tools then ebay will do all it can to help the theives hide themselves.

Anyone with kitchen knifes are terrorists and the same goes for cable ties unless you're a policeman and they you can have CS-Spay and confiscate camcorder that film you attacking inocent people in broad light.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Well their greatest use is lashing. And then typically for rounded bundles as they are not super flexible. You can do an effective saddle tie with a single one provided the sticks are not too small of a diameter otherwise use a smaller zip strip or use two in a X pattern. Which would probably hold more securely than a saddle tie. So zip ties are expedient cordage.

Tiny ones would be useful for hafting arrowheads to a shaft for arrows or stone flake blade to a wood handle for a knife.

I would see zip ties best used as fast field repairs for a multitude of items much the way they are used today. In other words their use as precut expedient cordage that does not rot easily. Nor slip and loosen while wet. No special tools needed like with hose clamps.

Myself, a frog/fish gig would be a handy item. Lashing nails or deck screws to a pole would probably be my first item unless I needed to reattach a strap to a bag quickly or make a quick handle.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   
I used to carry these around when I was working down town. If someone got out of hand on me I'd put 'em down and zip tie 'em till the cops got there.

I've also used them to add extra stability to my tent while camping on windy days.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   
yes zip tyes work well in warmer environments but let the temperture drop below 40 and the cheap ones start breaking on you.only the expensive "mil-spec" ones will stay flexible and not break on you when winter shows up.for really Heavy Duty needs use aviation style hose clamps(the ones with a nut and bolt running parrell with clamp) or metal muffler clamps, no they arent flexible but they will hold way better than any type of straping and are reusable,some auto hose clamps come with finger tighting wings, and marine (boating) hose clamps are better than car hose clamps.also for cheap use here in USA is plumbers steel strapping, it comes in a 3/4 inch wide roll, has holes every inch ,can be used to make hose clamp any lenght,for more strenght just double up on thickness.
edit on 13-4-2011 by madokie because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   
1). I use them to hang "leaf-cut" camouflage cloth when I improvise a blind while hunting. The cloth would otherwise whip around in the wind; but the ties keep it from moving too much and thus alerting game. Zip ties are great for building any kind of lean-to or shade---they take the place of nails.

2). Use them to constrict the flow of fluids through flexible plumbing such as a garden hose. This is key if you are improvising an irrigation system. You need the ability to regulate how fast a tank drains, so as to keep it from overflowing, as well as to keep your garden from being flooded.

3). Use them to secure luggage to a rack on top of an SUV when you are bugging out, but don't have the right luggage tie-downs for the vehicle you're using.

4). Improvised pulleys when hung up in a tree. They have little drag on the inside diameter, and so can be used to bend a rope and still allow it to travel through the zip-tie's ring.

5). Can be used to adjust the tautness of ropes and rigging when sailing or erecting a makeshift tent. They can also be used (with an awl) to "stitch" two tarps together, strongly enough that the union wont rip in a gale, as would happen if duct tape were used.

6). As a basic "latch" for animal pens. Pigs and horses, sometimes even cattle, can throw a basic bolt or chain with their noses. This will keep them from doing so.

7). Useful when staking tomatoes. If you aren't willing to pay for expensive pre-made tomato cages, real estate signs, campaign signs, and HOA placards work very well. Use the zip ties to lash the stems to the vertical part.

8). Survival shoe-laces

9). For tying off trash bags, and hanging them out of reach of carrion

10). As a nail file, when you get a hang-nail.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   
These things are great!!!! While traveling my suitcase exploded, there I was sitting on the floor at an airport terminal stuffing my clothes back in the suitcase.. the zipper split
( Yes I travel with entirely too many articles of clothing. It's a woman thing.) So I started cramming socks into the outside compartment and found a wad of these zap straps from when my father had previously used my luggage when it dawned on my I could "sew" my sad suitcase back together. I found an ink pen in the bottom of my purse and started punching holes in my suitcase and then sealed it up as tight as I could. PRESTO my clothing was secure and my day was saved

top topics

<<   2 >>

join