It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gas Prices and You!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   
So before work today, I stopped off to top off the old gas guzzler.

Much to my dismay, I found what was worth $3.67 yesterday had jumped drastically in price in under 24 hours to $4.05 a gallon for 89 Unleaded. Wowsers.

What I want to know is where the heck all the angry American citizens are that stood up in protest when gas prices initially went up to over $2 a few years back. Where are the protests? Where is the unrest?

What are gas prices like in your neck of the woods, ATS?

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   
We are still here. We just found out that protests don't do anything in America.
They own us.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by MelvinTheMad

Last i checked it is 4.56 for 81 octane where i am, but likely up to 4.80 because havent checked in like 2 weeks
useally head over the state in reno to do my shopping and buy gas and its 4.10-4.20 for 87 octane

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by MelvinTheMad

i just paid 3.71 in
Tacoma Washington

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 12:04 AM
link   
I read today that starting about 5 weeks ago, major gas stations noticed the total amount of gasoline being sold dropped over 3 percent in most locations. I thought I read economists found this interesting since Americans had been increasing their consumption of gas especially with higher employment and more people driving.

I can sum up what happened. About 5 weeks ago I realized how much money I was spending on gas, going out, etc. etc. and I decided I needed to cut a lot of that out. I did and still am conserving gas. I'm spending a whole lot less money than I used to. Multiply me times several million others and you'll understand what's happening.

I blame the Fed's policy of quantitative easing where they were so worried about deflation they wanted to drive up prices of stocks and commodities. Well they succeeded. They also succeeded in creating a lot of inflation and higher interest rates with the value of the dollar plummeting. Now instead of pumping up stock prices, they may want to maintain the value of the dollar and keep interest rates down and let stocks take a dive. It's a dangerous game the Fed is playing and our entire economy could go up in flames big time. I believe seeing gas prices getting close to $4 a gallon has a psychology impact worse than any so called wealth effect from stocks going up. I believe the Fed has been getting early information and has been using the so called POMO money to support interest rates and the dollar instead of pumping up stock prices. They can't do both at the same time.

At the pump I complain about price gouging but since all gas stations are price gouging, who is there to complain to? I managed to cut out over 300 miles this past month though. I figure I need to cut back and save as much money as I can while I still can. If things continue going downhill, everyone will be looking to cut back and save everywhere possible.

Gas prices at several stations suddenly jumped up about 14 cents overnight to $3.67, then when they noticed no one was buying any gas, they dropped the price down a few pennies. I believe there is routine price gouging going on because I thought stations were not supposed to raise their prices until they got new supplies in and had to pay the higher prices. I don't believe every station in town routinely gets their gas at the same time and that it is suddenly worth 10 to 15 cents more each time. Yet the stations keep jumping the gas prices up. I noticed this was going on back in February when the market price of oil had been dropping for a few weeks. I thought it was really a rip off back then.

I did read that our current leader supports a gradual increase to high gas prices so that we'll all start conserving and use hybrid or alternative vehicles. What an idiot I'm thinking, if people have less income, they can't very easily afford to buy a more expensive vehicle. We need to drill everywhere and take advantage of natural gas and coal to liquid fuel and whatever else we have that works. Of course if our money becomes worthless because someone did not raise the debt ceiling or cut out enough massive government spending, then just being able to afford to buy some overpriced food will be a bigger problem. If gas is $1000 a gallon, I'll walk everywhere. If a loaf of bread is $100 a loaf, I'll have to buy it but will use it wisely.
edit on 13/4/11 by orionthehunter because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by darrman

i should "put up" a 50 gallon drum of gas....

it might go up in price faster then Silver...

link   
Still around the equivalent of $5.29 per Gallon here in Australia.
$1.40 per Liter!

Complain once yours gets that high :p
edit on 13/4/2011 by Sovaka because: Spelling

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Did not notice a thread concerning the gas prices before starting this thread, so adding it to be polite:

Gas Prices Climbing Towards $5 Per Gallon
edit on 13-4-2011 by MelvinTheMad because: Fixed Link

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Sovaka

Hah. No way mate, if my gas gets that high I'll probably end up quitting my place of employment and become a bicycle delivery driver.

I do about 20 - 50 miles a day for the company with which I am employed, so I'm just imagining how wee my paycheck is going to be due to how much I'm going to be spending from now on.

Madness.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 12:15 AM
link   
1. the fed
2. regulations
3. off shore oil drilling ban
4. there are only a few handful of oil producing companies left in the world more companies producing more product would mean cheaper prices.
5. oil is in it final stages of death
6. more people means more cars on the road meaning more people using gasoline
7, chinas growth that is now tapping into oil reserves like never before.

why aren't people complaining and protesting cause obama aint bush

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by MelvinTheMad

What are gas prices like in your neck of the woods, ATS?

In Vancouver Canada it's $1.34 per litre which works out to $5.07 per gallon. What's interesting is that Canada is the #1 exporter of oil to the US and we still pay more for gas at the pump:

The top five sources of US crude oil imports for January were Canada (2,149 thousand barrels per day), Mexico (1,216 thousand barrels per day), Saudi Arabia (1,099 thousand barrels per day), Nigeria (968 thousand barrels per day), and Venezuela (951 thousand barrels per day).

www.eia.doe.gov...

While at the same time 55% of the oil we consume is imported (primarily for the eastern provinces):

Domestic crude accounts for only about 45% of Canada's oil consumption. Imports represented the remaining 55%, mostly coming from either North Sea countries or the Middle East. Imported oil feeds refineries mostly in Eastern Canada.

www.statcan.gc.ca...

Imagine if the people of Saudi Arabia, major exporters of oil to the west, were paying more for gas at the pump than the people in the US? I wonder how long it would take for their citizens to rise up and revolt.
edit on 13-4-2011 by soleprobe because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 01:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by MelvinTheMad

What I want to know is where the heck all the angry American citizens are that stood up in protest when gas prices initially went up to over $2 a few years back. Where are the protests? Where is the unrest?

Most are still unemployed, and can't afford to go anywhere...

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   
The oil companies, collectively, bought over 4000 patents,last year, that would have improved mileage per gallon at the gas pump. Two researckers heard those rumors and checked out some entrepreneurs who claimed they could get 100 miles per gallon. Their findings will come out in a documentory called GASHOLE.The rumors are true.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Gas and food prices will continue to spiral out of control until they are incapable of being bought with US dollars.

This is a consequence of the Fed printing 600 billion dollars.

The economic decline into hyper-inflationary chaos will continue until the dollar becomes defunct.

I suggest purchasing gold and silver now before they become completely unfordable.

new topics

top topics

join