It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DC to offer Internet gambling, becomes first in US

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   

DC to offer Internet gambling, becomes first in US

hosted.ap.org< br />

The District of Columbia is becoming the first U.S. jurisdiction to allow Internet gambling, trying to raise millions of dollars from the habits of online poker buffs and acting ahead of traditional gambling meccas like New Jersey and Nevada
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Sorry if this is not the right forum, mods please move if it is not. I think this is a big win for internet poker players here in the United States. I for one play internet poker, and I am willing to bet others on ATS do as well. Since DC is the first place to pass a law like this, I think it will be easier to get passed in other states around the country. As much as i am not in favor of new taxes, regulating and taxing the internet gaming could help get us out of our economic downfall, or course there is always the slippery slope of now that they are regulating some form of internet, they may look to get control over more of it. Only time will tell.

The move to legalize the games comes despite a 2006 federal law that effectively banned Internet gambling. The law basically prohibited banks and credit card companies from processing payments from gambling companies to individuals. But the law is murky, and gambling experts say it created enough grey areas to open the door for a deeper expansion into the multibillion dollar industry

hosted.ap.org< br /> (visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 12-4-2011 by lcbjr1979 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   
just tryign to figure out how to do video thing

there we go

edit on 12-4-2011 by HisMajesty because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-4-2011 by HisMajesty because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   
The history of the USA is filled with presidents who were very big Poker players. Truman actually played poker on the presidential yacht as he decided to nuke Japan in WW2!!

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by freedom12

Right, and didnt Nixon fund his presidential campaign by playing poker while he was in the navy. I think I remember reading about that somewhere.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   
gambling poker and the lottery all tools to keep the poorer people enslaved.

no i am going to win on this next hand

no no i am going to win on this next lotto ticket.

i have no faith left in this country
edit on 12-4-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by lcbjr1979

No doubt this will help improve the 5% reading proficiency there in DC.

Here is an idea. Let's ignore the history of how Rome kept the citizens at bey while the corrupt senate stole all the resources.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Yeah....olde Tricky Dick was a good poker player! No word on whether he cheated.....lol. There's a book out I read awhile back on Presidents and Poker.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   
first in the US ????

I live in NC and just 12 miles from here is
an internet cafe where they already have
internet gambling 7 nights a week.
Don't know where they are getting
that info from.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

The thing with internet gambling in the states is that credit cards and banks in the states are not allowed to do transactions to internet gambling sites, of course there are loophools around it.

The move to legalize the games comes despite a 2006 federal law that effectively banned Internet gambling. The law basically prohibited banks and credit card companies from processing payments from gambling companies to individuals. But the law is murky, and gambling experts say it created enough grey areas to open the door for a deeper expansion into the multibillion dollar industry

edit on 12-4-2011 by lcbjr1979 because: add info

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Actually the prefered method of moving money into and out of your USA accounts is via electronic transfer from your BANK.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   

The move to legalize the games comes despite a 2006 federal law that effectively banned Internet gambling. The law basically prohibited banks and credit card companies from processing payments from gambling companies to individuals. But the law is murky, and gambling experts say it created enough grey areas to open the door for a deeper expansion into the multibillion dollar industry.

It stopped banks and credit cards, but it didn't stop Western Union and Money Gram. Even if online gambling was made legal in the United States, I would still use my offshore book. Why mess with taxes if you don't have to?
edit on 12-4-2011 by Carseller4 because: 5 second edit rule

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Carseller4

Also fighting the juice and taxes wouldn't make gambling profitable.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   

I dont see how they can when Congress is in charge of their laws and funding lol. I wish they would just allow DC to act as a State while retaining the district title.

No taqxation without representation.

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 12:49 PM
link   
A free and honest poker site could accumulate as members all of the real poker players in the public.

A convenient way to get them all on a list.

An honest poker site might not exist anywhere at this time.

top topics

join