It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fukushima Meltdown Could Trigger Atomic Explosion

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   
It was admitted today what most of us had already suspected. That the Nuclear meltdown situation in Japan is much more critical than what is being admitted on mainstream media sources. This self same Scientist also spoke of the heated debates between France and U.S., France wanting to cover it with concrete and the U.S. wanting to bomb the plants. Gee, both are good ideas! Rather spoiled for choice I'd say.
www.bestmetalresearch.com...
This site also has a video of the now Nuclear Ghost town. Other good stuff concerning the economy and the metals.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Maybe a core breach or melt down, but nuclear explosion seems to be a bit misleading.

Unless they listened to my post about blowing the site up with a nuke.
Perfect example kids, it is important NOT to post drunk!

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Or they say on the news that it could trigger a nuclear explosion in order to set one off and ... figure the rest out for yourself. A meltdown is not an explosion. The chemistry isn't all there.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnteBellum
Maybe a core breach or melt down, but nuclear explosion seems to be a bit misleading.

Unless they listened to my post about blowing the site up with a nuke.
Perfect example kids, it is important NOT to post drunk!

No its not, Why on earth did Russia poop its pants days after when they learned the same thing. If the meltdown hits a point to where it gets to hot it can cause a chain reaction and even cause the other reactors to go into one with it.

The Soviets ran their butts off to stop what would have been the largest explosion in the history of the world. Tens to hundreds times larger than the Tsar Bomb test they did that is the largest ever.

topdocumentaryfilms.com... Watch this and you will want to scream to Japan at

lack of effort when the Soviets looked to us for answers when it happened to them cause they didn't know what to do either as they were the first to deal with it.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   
A, I do not believe that anyone wants to bomb the plant... Hoax big time. That would spread the radiation and not fix a single aspect of the problem..

B, the conditions required for a chain reaction to be initiated can not occur at that plant.

Thanks.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Fiberx

What about if it eventually melts through to the water table? Or better yet, read the post above yours for a good explanation.

edit on 12-4-2011 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Fiberx

have you anything to back up your very serious claims??? especialy
B

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
With the exception of Fiberx's post, there is a woeful lack of knowledge on the workings of a nuclear reactor in this thread. No, the lump of fissionable materials in what's left of any of these reactor cores can not cause a nuclear explosion bigger than 'Tsar Bomba'. Good grief.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Fission is a chain reaction. before a fission chain reaction happens you will have neutron emissions after the initial meltdown. When the material reaches the critical point, the chain reaction starts and within milliseconds the explosion erupts.

The problem here is that the Fukushima plant has tonnes of weapons grade nuclear material there in storage, plus six reactors with many more tonnes of nuclear material. Should there be a fission reaction, the resulting fallout will travel the globe several times killing many millions of people over a short period of time.

The Russians nearly had such an event that almost wiped out all of Europe, but was averted.

edit on 12-4-2011 by Fromabove because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by LS650

Agreed, oops only on one thing. For anyone looking for a good solid explanation and regularly updated analysis of this disaster, check out this amazing 685 page thread
edit on 12-4-2011 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   
There is absolutely zero possibility of an "atomic explosion" here, such a detonation would require uranium, or plutonium cores that are thousands of times more pure than the fuel in these reactors, and then a specially designed highly explosive (implosion) of the fuels to achieve critical mass and thus an "atomic explosion"

The worst that can happen is a complete meltdown, and possible steam ejections that would eject massive amounts of extremely radioactive elements in the form of particulates that could be spread out by winds in lethal concentrations.

A worse threat for now is not from this meltdown scenario, they have that fairly under control with cooling efforts... The severely damaged and leaking spent fuel pools in the tops of the damaged reactor structures are a serious looming threat, if the spent fuel rods are exposed to the air, and heat up and catch fire that could be as bad, or worse than a meltdown in the reactor cores.

Blowing these reactors up with nukes or any explosives is just plain stupid.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Regardless of what the outcome is, be it meltdown, explosion, what have you, the fact of the matter is that the people responsible have dropped the ball on this one. Sadly, many other governments around the world are just as guilty for standing by while knowing full well what was taking place. Their only solution to "fixing" the problem was raising the "safe" limits of exposure.

Unfortunately, I still do not believe we have yet seen the pinnacle of this disaster.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Fractured.Facade

Then why were the Russians so afraid of it..

about 5 minutes in.

The fact of the matter is even the "experts" don't know all the possibilities, I thought you learned that in the other thread fractured.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   
I really don't feel like trying to convey the physics behind why it can not happen. I have found an article that explains things in a friendly manner better than I could.

No Boom for You

You have to know that in order to detonate the Nuclear part of a Nuclear weapon, there are specially designed triggers. The Uranium is more highly enriched, or different make up and the reaction is triggered by a multistage explosive trigger which uses conventional high explosives contained in a specially designed housing to focus hundreds of thousands of lbs/sq. inch on a small ball of plutonium (different grade than found in reactors) which then smashes particles into the Uranium with such immense speed that it triggers the fissile reaction.

/basic

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Did I mention that they have in storage, weaponized nuclear material taken from nuclear missiles, processed and ready to go ? They also detected neutron emissions as well. They were days away from the final event, and may still be days away at all times if they are not very careful about it.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wookiep

The fact of the matter is even the "experts" don't know all the possibilities, I thought you learned that in the other thread fractured.

I've learned enough to know what it takes to make a nuke bomb, and how it works, and what purity of the fuel must be.

By design the fuels used in these reactors is of such low purity that it could never be used in a nuclear weapon, that is why Iran is working furiously to purify uranium in centrifuges beyond the low grade reactor fuel, and why their claim that they are only seeking peaceful energy fails.

Again, there is no way the tons of fuel at Fukushima can in any way or in any amount, under any conditions achieve critical mass and detonate in an "atomic explosion"

But, hey, maybe I am wrong.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fiberx
I really don't feel like trying to convey the physics behind why it can not happen. I have found an article that explains things in a friendly manner better than I could.

No Boom for You

You have to know that in order to detonate the Nuclear part of a Nuclear weapon, there are specially designed triggers. The Uranium is more highly enriched, or different make up and the reaction is triggered by a multistage explosive trigger which uses conventional high explosives contained in a specially designed housing to focus hundreds of thousands of lbs/sq. inch on a small ball of plutonium (different grade than found in reactors) which then smashes particles into the Uranium with such immense speed that it triggers the fissile reaction.

/basic

Friction and heat combined with a nuclear reaction (fission). Sound like Chernobyl to me.

Second line.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Did you miss the part where Theredneck explained what happens if it melts all the way down to the water table? The answer? It's never happened before, so we can't say for sure, but in theory very bad things could happen.

If you read up on Chernobyl then you would find out that they dug tunnels under the reactor to suck water out from underneath it, in fear of the reaction that would take place if it made contact.

It's awfully risky to assume we know what would happen, because we don't.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Wookiep

Yes, but it's still not a nuclear atomic explosion, a steam ejection containing radioactive particulates maybe.

My point is, there isn't going to be any atomic explosion at Fukushima.. It just cant happen.

As for a super hot blob of melted nuclear fuel melting down to the water table, that is possible... If they fail to keep cooling flowing through these reactors.

If you want to worry about an actual threat, worry about the spent fuel pools... There is far more danger there right now than from any "explosive" meltdown of a reactor core.

edit on 12-4-2011 by Fractured.Facade because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wookiep

Did you miss the part where Theredneck explained what happens if it melts all the way down to the water table? The answer? It's never happened before, so we can't say for sure, but in theory very bad things could happen.

If you read up on Chernobyl then you would find out that they dug tunnels under the reactor to suck water out from underneath it, in fear of the reaction that would take place if it made contact.

It's awfully risky to assume we know what would happen, because we don't.

I watched that video today. There was something about the graphite and the nuclear material reacting with the water combined with the heat. I have to re watch it now..

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join