It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American Being Held In North Korea

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   

American Being Held In North Korea

www.rawstory.com

WASHINGTON (AFP) – The US State Department said Tuesday that an American is being held in North Korea and called for the person's release on humanitarian grounds.

Swedish officials, who represent the United States in the absence of diplomatic ties between Pyongyang and Washington, "have been able to visit" the detained individual, State Department spokesman Mark Toner told reporters.

He declined to identify the detainee on the grounds that the US government has not obtained a waiver of privacy from either the detainee or the person's family.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
politics.blogs.foxnews.com
www.smh.com.au

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   
I did a search but couldn't find this posted, but it always seems like someone beat me to it anyway so please forgive if this is a duplicate thread.

This is pretty crazy. It's not really something we need to be dealing with right now. I can't imagine this is going to make things any better between us and the North Koreans. It seems like they always know just where the line is that shouldn't be crossed and do everything but cross it. They may have just crossed it.

www.rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   
they didnt cross any lines. Breaking news: North koreans in US jail.

Why would anyone go into a lions den and then blame the lion for laying down a can of whoop ass?

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by nunya13

More 'Un-named' sources and 'Officials" statements to come. My guess is that there won't ever be a name released that could be traced to an actual source.

"Released on Humanitarian Grounds"...Is Washington bored with Libya already?

Libya is a 'Humanitarian Mission', so is this the new excuse for war now that people are sick of the 'War on Terror' approach? A play on words that make it a little softer to digest from the MSM.

Not too difficult to see that Iran and N. Korea Wars will be launched on Humanitarian Grounds.

edit on 12-4-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Let me get this straight. As American citizens, we can go to North Korea but we cant go to Cuba for a couple mojitos and cigars? Rediculous.

On a serious note, what the hell was that guy doing in North Korea anyways? Who would in their right mind want to go there?

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   
an american citizen going to north korea? What a retard...he's probably CIA or something along those lines if he's over in north korea...no sane person would go there for any reason other than being CIA or something of the likes...

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by dizzie56
On a serious note, what the hell was that guy doing in North Korea anyways? Who would in their right mind want to go there?

Nobody in their right mind would. It's probably some crazy that went to proselytize or sell girl scout cookies.

I think we need a public service announcement, Hey idiots, do not go into N. Korea.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

Let me make it clear that I was speaking from the perspective of the US government. I am fully aware that the issue is not entirely black and white and that the American was probably doing something he/she shouldn't have been in the first place.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by here4awhile
an american citizen going to north korea? What a retard...he's probably CIA or something along those lines if he's over in north korea...no sane person would go there for any reason other than being CIA or something of the likes...

Conspiracy theorist stay losing.
Real rationalism ftw.

Most people go there for journalism purposes, and to see what it is really like to experience it for themselves.
As humans, our curiosity allows us to want to test things out for ourselves first hand.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   

I agree If your dumb enough to go hiking in Iran or North Korea. Then you get what you deserve.

Second line.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 05:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by JerryB08

I agree If your dumb enough to go hiking in Iran or North Korea. Then you get what you deserve.

Second line.

Personally i would love to go hiking in iran, and would love to go to north korea.

Not everyone there is bad, I know a guy who went to iran and had a great time, stayed with a random family who welcomed him as if he was part of the family, these places get such bad rep because of the governments everybody forgets they are people just like us. Of course you get the bad people there who hate most people but where don't you get that?

The korean culture would be amazing, because the fact its so isoloated from everyday tourism like other countries you would experince the real life. I know you have to travel NK with a guide and everything is arranged etc but still would be great to go, pictures of NK are epic ( not the military stuff ) but yeah i'm gonna risk it and go there in the near future when i have the money.

new topics

top topics

join