It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another attempt to emasculate male children.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

There are tons of things done in the media, etc, that attack men for being men. As a woman, I notice them. Sitcoms that portray most husbands as either fat, lazy slobs or weak, wimpy sorts, guys attacked for being male. Told various activities are wrong, simply because they are traditionally male. A guy can't compliment a female coworker these days, without facing a lawsuit. It's ridiculous. Try this: For a week, watch various programs,. and see how men are portrayed, as compared to how women are portrayed. Sitcoms are best for this. Commercials sometimes do the same thing. Betting you can find a lot of examples of the sort of thing I am sure the OP refers to.

These days, the most vilified group is white, straight men.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by felonius

Dame Edna is a hoot!

This is just a guys "take" on an elderly lady. Nothing sexual. Just damn funny!

I find it amusing that you have to declare "nothing sexual" in your response to a vid of a dude in drag. It is what it is and it is amusing regardless of the individual or how they present themselves to the world. It is very telling, much like a majority of your posts in this thread. And yes, she is a hoot!

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by LadyGreenEyes

I have to totally agree.
I'm not sure about it just being strictly "heterosexual", but the stereotype certainly is.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by halfoldman
Not to be nasty or old fashioned, but with long blonde locks like that the nail-polish would be the least of my worries.
I mean lets be honest, what would upset a dad in traditional Western culture more, and what is more visible:
Long Goldilocks, or the sheen of polish under the socks?
I see the ambiguously haired 1970s' youngster is back.
Well good for them if they like it.
To be truthful - I thought it was a girl anyway.
*snip*

Just the other day, we took the kids to a park to play awhile, and saw a father with (we thought) his small daughter, trying to coax the child (about 2-3) to play on the playground equipment. Cute kid, little shoulder-length cut, very neat and pretty. Turns out, this was his son. VERY feminine haircut; not just longer, but feminine. Clothing looked feminine as well. Now, I have seen little boys with longish hair (including one of mine), but they didn't look female. Seen a few, like this one, that did. This was the first time I saw a pro haircut (from the looks of it0, though, on a boy, that was feminine in style. Appalling. Kid will grow up having people think he's a girl. How can that possibly be good for him? That isn't "teaching tolerance", either, but teaching confusion.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Would it have made a difference it the kid's favourite colour was green instead of pink? Or is it the combination that his favourite colour is pink AND he wants his toe nails painted?

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   

reply to post by hotbakedtater

Symbols (pink polish) can mean far more than words.

I dont know of ANY boy at his age that would tolerate it.

I've read stories of kids (both genders) where parents wanted the opposite sex in kids and forced them into other roles. Its wrong either direction.

boys are boys, girls are girls. Unless you just have a desire to destroy society, certain norms are required at formative ages.

I'm not intending to change your mind. You have as much likelyhood to change mine. I dont think we've ever agreed on hardly any topic.

Dude...are you really that paranoid??? Only from a Texas Hand...

I posted my feelings on this subject back on page 2, if you happened to read it. But again I will say...some people should learn to mind their own business. This is not emasculating. You have no right to tell someone how to raise their kids...you don't know these people anymore than any of us do.

As I said before, just in fun what if his mom painted each toe nail a different color??? Would you have a problem with that too? All he has to do is put on his shoes...than you wouldn't know the diff would ya?

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by LadyGreenEyes

I'm a guy and I'm not whining about any of this.

What do people propose be done about this?

I would suggest shutting off the boob tube altogether.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by The Sword

For me it's not so much about what is done about it (since adverts are made for attention, and are not reality).
I think situations like that between mothers and kids are natural (although if indeed a boy, he is a bit too old).
What is more crucial is why advertisers have chosen this image.
Usually little football boys, and so forth sell.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 12:55 AM
link   
My son used to play dress up with his sister and wanted to paint his toenails like her. I told him "cowboys only paint their big toes" and we bought some blue for him.

Then he went to preschool and realized that girls were uncool, and totally grew out of it.

People need to grow up. And chill out.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   
This Trident commercial is "worse" by the OP's standards but to me this is a typical scene. I've seen it done before with my own cousins and it is hilarious when a boy gets roped into it.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by LadyGreenEyes

There are tons of things done in the media, etc, that attack men for being men. As a woman, I notice them. Sitcoms that portray most husbands as either fat, lazy slobs or weak, wimpy sorts, guys attacked for being male. Told various activities are wrong, simply because they are traditionally male. A guy can't compliment a female coworker these days, without facing a lawsuit. It's ridiculous. Try this: For a week, watch various programs,. and see how men are portrayed, as compared to how women are portrayed. Sitcoms are best for this. Commercials sometimes do the same thing. Betting you can find a lot of examples of the sort of thing I am sure the OP refers to.

Because someone is forcing all of those actors to accept money to portray those roles. It is a choice, a personal one, and it is perfectly fine healthy and acceptable.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by BiggyMcBigPants

Dame Edna is a hoot!

This is just a guys "take" on an elderly lady. Nothing sexual. Just damn funny!

I find it amusing that you have to declare "nothing sexual" in your response to a vid of a dude in drag. It is what it is and it is amusing regardless of the individual or how they present themselves to the world. It is very telling, much like a majority of your posts in this thread. And yes, she is a hoot!
Reminds me of that saying, he doth protestest too much....

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 01:21 AM
link   
My sister painted my toenails pink when I was 5. I'm not gay or a girly man.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by halfoldman
reply to post by The Sword

For me it's not so much about what is done about it (since adverts are made for attention, and are not reality).
I think situations like that between mothers and kids are natural (although if indeed a boy, he is a bit too old).
What is more crucial is why advertisers have chosen this image.
Usually little football boys, and so forth sell.
I don't think there is a mystery here why J Crew chose this photo. Look at all the buzz it created! Even here at ATS we have generated five some odd pages of buzz alone!

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 02:07 AM
link   
I'm a guy, and I see nothing wrong with it. In my opinion it shows who's comfortable with their self, sexuality etc. If you find it offensive, then you are the one with the issues. It's a kid. Kids do all kinds of things. Its when you start telling the kid, NO dont do that, that isn't what a man does. Thats what causes the problems and issues IMO.

It reminds me of something that happened at work. I work in retail and i had a man come into the mens dept. asking for a small coin holder. I told him "sorry, all we have are wallets." he replies "i guess that will have to do, my son here needs to start acting like a man. He walks around the house with his mothers purse. It makes me sick so i have to get him something else. No son of mine will carry a purse." he then looks to me like i should back him up. I just wanted to go off on this guy, but i kinda need to keep my job, so i just walked him to the wallets and didn't say anything. The boy was like 3. So the boy likes to act like his mother, big freaking deal.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 02:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by LadyGreenEyes

I agree with about 90% of what you said except it's not mostly white men. I believe its done in every culture to demorilize men in all countries. I don't know if it's just a gay agenda because it seems to me it more of a hermaphrodite agenda. Todays society usually are influenced from the media industry which makes us believe what is acceptable. It seems to me that anything is considered normal now compared to the past. The way the world is heading it seems pretty soon bestiality will be acceptable any day now. I guess morality went out the window with abortions and birth control because now people can have sexual relationships with no need to bond with others. There is nothing you can really do except be aware and tell others who will listen. With science growing in knowledge each day you can expect that in the future anything will be possible.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 05:00 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 05:53 AM
link   
It's always hilarious to see an "open minded modern society" get all excited when something/someone goes "against the flow" of social norms.

Consider this Bible verse:

"A woman shall not wear anything that pertains to a man, nor shall a man put on a woman’s garment, for all who do so are an abomination to the Lord your God." (Deuteronomy 22:5, NKJV throughout)

Or in other words it was considered a sin "back in the days" for a woman to wear pants... Yet, when was the last time you frowned upon a woman wearing pants/trousers? Not recently, yes? And how would you react if I told you that some countries still had laws against women wearing pants? Like Middle Eastern countries... You would even find such a law in Paris... And California did not make it legal for women to wear pants to the work place until 1995... Your reaction would be "get with the times!", not true?

I'm sure if ATS existed back when women first started wearing pants someone would start a thread about it - making claims about the lesbian agenda, and how they want to "eradicate all men"...

And that's just one example. Think about ear-rings. Think about long hair. And how society's views on them changed of the past couple of millennia throughout the different cultures...

What about a skirt? You would look twice when you saw a guy in a short blue skirt walking down the street. And your first thought would be "That guy is so gay!"... Yes? And what would you do if you saw the same guy in a Scottish kilt... You'd look twice because it's not something you saw every day... But the thought of him being gay wouldn't even enter your mind.

So... In a couple of years you may be seeing straight guys wearing nail polish everywhere you go. Who knows...? Fashion trends do funny things. I’m not too worried about it though. I’d be too old or too dead to care.

BUT one thing I'm sure off is that nail polish doesn't turn anyone gay. Wearing pink sunglasses doesn't make anyone gay... "Shockingly" enough, not all gays are effeminate - if I could wager a guess I'd say that they are in the minority. Homosexual guys vary from the toughest lumberjacks to cops to ballet dancers to computer geeks. Not just guys that wear pink nail polish.

So in conclusion I’d say that anyone that puts the "gay agenda!" stamp on something as innocent as a mother spending time with her boy, should ask themselves if they aren't perhaps the ones with the agenda... just saying.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 06:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Dendro

Are you still stuck on this?

This is the least of the issue.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 07:50 AM
link   
You may be a liberal zealot if you view your children as tools to further your own twisted agenda.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join