It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it worth it to save your house if all your neighbors hate you?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
[size=10]EEEEEWWWWW YUCK!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/64bf037760b1.jpg[/atsimg]

There's a company out there that's offering to pay people's mortgages for as long as they are willing to have their homes painted up like a billboard.

It may be nice to have a few months of breathing space mortgage free to save up some money but, would it be worth it if all your neighbors hated you for it?

Would You Turn Your House Into A Billboard If The Advertiser Paid Your Mortgage?

Having trouble making your mortgage payment? Think the paint job on your house could use some splash, color and branding? Then there's an ad agency you might want to talk to.

Ad firm Adzookie claims that, for people willing to turn their homes into billboards, it will make their monthly mortgage payments.

According to the Adzookie CEO, the company has already received over 1,000 applications from people willing to have their houses billboard-ified.

"It really blew my mind," he tells CNN. "I knew the economy was tough, but it's sad to see how many homeowners are really struggling."

Consumerist.com

At least they say they'll paint it back the normal color after they're done but, it would still be awful living in an eyesore for up to a year.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
I'd have to think that it depends on the location of the home. If you live no where near anyone else, what would they be able to charge the advertisers?

On the plus side, it depends on what the ad is for. If your neighbors don't like you, maybe a Remington ad...

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Here's what bothers me about this.

I don't think this is a straight deal for advertising. I know this may sound paranoid, but there have been so many scams in the housing market over the last few years. What if, since they are paying your mortgage, they wind up owning your house?

If anyone is thinking about doing this PLEASE read everything, and if you can afford it, have a lawyer look into the terms.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Advertisement is pollution and as such it should be avoided.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   
There are building codes you must follow!

Most cities would never allow this. Where are they in Detroit?
edit on 4/12/2011 by AnteBellum because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by AnteBellum

Because Detroit is probably the most destitute city in all of America. I'm not surprised by this, nor am I entirely against it. I just think it should be approached with an abundance of caution.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I couldn't see my house advertising Condoms....lol....

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnteBellum
There are building codes you must follow!

Most cities would never allow this.

Building codes deal with the safe construction of the house, not the outward appearance. There's nothing in the Building code against making a but-ugly building.

The local home owner's association would probably be a different matter. They are concerned with things that may drive down the prices of the homes in their neighborhood. I doubt any HOA would allow this to go on in their neighborhood.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

You are right about the code issue, the IBC (building codes) dictates all that, but all cities have ordinances and zoning codes that must be adhered to also. You can apply for a variance but for something like this I doubt it.
I have been an architect for 15 years I've seen historical committees shoot down multi-million dollar projects for trash bin locations, signage, lighting, just about anything they can complain about! That is why they are known as the hysterical department!

Local ordinances deal with everything from placement, size, facade, materials & color, etc.
Just wanted to answer fast didn't think it would matter.

edit on 4/12/2011 by AnteBellum because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Forget your neighbors, its not like they are helping you pay your morgage.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   

I would do it in a heart beat,one little problem...
my house is brick.They could paint my garage
door though.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   
In the absence of covenants you can do pretty much anything. I incurred the wrath of my neighbor for painting my house robin's egg blue with purple trim. He was swearing at the painter and everything. I saw hiim take pictures of my house from the field across the street. I assume he visited his lawyer who had to have told him to get a life. The next week a For Sale sign went up and he moved. A few years later it needed painting again so I painted it a much more sedate grey blue with white trim. Alas, my neighbor, whom I named "Outdoor Bob" because he smoked on his porch and had loud cell phone conversations, is still gone.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   
You do what you need to do. The neighbors can frankly go pound sand or move if they take issue with it. I'd definitely read all of the fine print, but if the deal checked out I'd sign up for this in an instant if I held a mortgage.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   
I like the idea.. if its only for a year. The looks on the neighbors faces alone would be worth it
And think of all the business you could drum up when you coincided the last painting day and a good old fashioned yard sale!!!

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 03:48 AM
link   

That violates so many city codes lol .. you can't just place a billboard anywhere you want, and most cities have regulation on how big an advertisement can even be.. If someone on my street did this, I'd bring them to court to have them change their home to flat color.

I have seen cars on the road several times painted full body with an advertisement and then a smaller advert that says where you can sign up ..

new topics

top topics

join