Don't let ignorant people vote

page: 1
5
<<   2  3 >>

log in

join

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Don't let ignorant people vote


www.cnn.com

(CNN) -- Should ignorant people be allowed to vote?
A provocative question for sure; however, I'm not bringing it up for shock value, but rather to give us all pause.
If I were to ask you to ingest an unknown medicine from someone who knew nothing about the medical field, you probably wouldn't do it. And I doubt many of us would feel comfortable as a shareholder in a company that asked people who knew nothing about business to hire its next CEO?
Yet we all know people who gleefully admit they know nothing about politics, don't have time to find out what the current issues are or even kno
(visit the link for the full news article)




posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Really good ideas brought up in the article. Not for shock value, but for good discussion.

This would not be racist, but just provide a test so that you know about the government before you are allowed to vote. There are equally as many ignorant whites as there are blacks/Mexicans/Asians etc.

The article brings up a good point:

"The Founding Fathers were not a bunch of average Joes with gripes about England; they were elite thinkers and philosophers. James Madison attended what is now Princeton. John Hancock went to Harvard. Thomas Jefferson enrolled at the College of William and Mary when he was 16. Today it seems the more education a candidate has, the harder he or she has to work to distance him or herself from it."

How are we a country of today, THE United States, where the more dumb you are, the more public support you have? People say go back to the constitution, but you also have to go back to the way people thought about those ideas, and who wrote those ideas.

Basically, some call Obama an elite, as if that is wrong. Look at your history, look at the founding fathers. A small sample test in order to get a voter registration card, is definitely in order.

Especially good for a NEW World Order
Sign me up!

(feel free to move thread to other category if needed. LOVE ATS, and figured this is good for discussion.)

.Article is a really good read.. and worth your time... check out the link

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 12-4-2011 by uSNUUZuLUUz because: more details



posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
What difference does the ignorance or intelligence of voters make - the voting process is rigged anyway!

Clean up the process and maybe then we can take articles like this seriously.

I applaud you for bringing this message to the boards but that's my opinion - S&F.

peace
edit on 12-4-2011 by silo13 because: tired



posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by uSNUUZuLUUz
 


Well if you take a few seconds to think about it, it is kind of a dumb idea... How do you gauge ignorance? And the test could be skewed, and being pro freedom could be deemed ignorant, and unable to vote. All kinds of ways to abuse something like that....
edit on Tue, 12 Apr 2011 15:16:36 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)



posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by uSNUUZuLUUz

Don't let ignorant people vote


www.cnn.com

(CNN) -- Should ignorant people be allowed to vote?
A provocative question for sure; however, I'm not bringing it up for shock value, but rather to give us all pause.
If I were to ask you to ingest an unknown medicine from someone who knew nothing about the medical field, you probably wouldn't do it. And I doubt many of us would feel comfortable as a shareholder in a company that asked people who knew nothing about business to hire its next CEO?
Yet we all know people who gleefully admit they know nothing about politics, don't have time to find out what the current issues are or even kno
(visit the link for the full news article)



Are you kidding me? You always vote for the team that sports your favourite colour don't you?

Well we do in the U.K anyway.



posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
It's not a good idea when you have a government that intentionally wants to make ignoramuses out of everyone - intelligent or not. Unless you reform the government and make them honest, then intelligent or ignorant votes it does not matter.

Even intelligent politically aware people tend to be fooled by the divisive tactics of the media and political world, that is, the divide and conquer tactic, make everything black/white, left/right issue. Issues simplified for the "benefits of the people".

I like the idea of Naturalization test given to voters but would it really matter, given the constant onslaught of multi-million dollars campaigns and media biasness? And does it not reflect how poorly our schools and education system is? That people should have to take a test in order to determine whether or not they are intelligent to vote? Why not FIX THE EDUCATION SYSTEM?

The whole article looks to put blame on the voter but not on where the blame should be placed: the corrupt government which has purposefully dumbed down society so that the left-right paradigm will work to perfection.

Reform the government, create higher standards in the education system and reduce money given to the entertainment industry - then you'll have your educated voter.



posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Maybe you should be required to take the GED, and pass. If you can't demonstrate that you are smart enough to get through high school, you can't vote.



posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by uSNUUZuLUUz
 



While I do agree that just like anything in politics this could be easily manipulated, this does seem a good idea on paper. I like best that the idea is a test of ignorance, not intelligence, so only those who bother to educate themselves on issues and government would be able to vote. I say this because I know a few very intelligent people who could care less about our government and its running and instead focus on material learning's and items, yet come time to vote, they line up with everyone else and help decide the fate of that which they done know or care about.

Again, this would be just as susceptible to manipulation as any other aspect of our wonderful leadership community, however in order for each vote to make a difference I believe that each voter should at least show a moderate understanding of just what it is they are voting on.
The real question here is what exactly should this text consist of? Is it more important to understand the actual process, or are the issues what we should focus on? There’s only one answer. Let’s vote on it.



posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Ignorant people can't vote?

I suppose that means most of the Democrat party and a whole heck of a lot of the Repubs.



posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Only ignorant people vote. Get it through your head.


above top secret
edit on 12-4-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)


Sorry, my bad.

edit on 12-4-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)
edit on 12-4-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)



posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Well how would we test who's ignorant or not?



posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by uSNUUZuLUUz
 


While this is interesting, I'd suggest we start more simply:

Require folks to show identification to vote.
Eliminate same day voter registration
Require folks to be on the actual roll prior to voting
Ensure that overseas military folks have votes that are actually counted
Stopping folks from voting multiple times
Stopping folks from taking disabled and elderly folks in and telling them what levers to pull
Stop folks from standing outside polling venues with pipes in their hands
Stop paying folks with liquor and cash to vote

You know, simple things like that



posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by abecedarian
Ignorant people can't vote?

I suppose that means most of the Democrat party and a whole heck of a lot of the Repubs.


I think you hit the crux of the issue. To gauge by the comments on ATS, all Conservatives are ignorant, but go to some place like Red State, and all the liberals are idiots. Just recently on ATS there was a thread about how liberals, being so well educated and all, actually have differently wired brains than conservatives. To liberals, Fox News is Faux News. To Conservatives, CNN is elitist clap trap.

In principle I understand the issue, but in practice this would be a political nightmare,.



posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Can I ask what is the fundamental difference between this mans,LZ Granderson, opinion and the opinion of the man being discussed in the link below, Michael Voris? Besides one is asking for more Government intervention and the other is asking for more Religious or faith based intervention.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Most States do require a mandatory Government class Constitution test for High School seniors to take and pass in order to graduate I know mine did. Why not have civics classes for the voters who were only "being born 18 years ago". Yes it's something to think about but both men particularly LZ Granderson are just giving more of the same arm chair observations.


S&F anyways for you OP, though I am not sure I agree I do find this very informative



posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Who decided is always going to be the issue, and as soon as people want to deny the vote to someone, they will always cry foul, and quite rightly. We should all cry foul and get a proper explanation as to why people should not be entitled to vote.

And just because someone has attained the age of majority, it that reason enought they can have a influence on the future direction of a country. No so there is a part of me that agrees with the concept that not everyone should be able to vote and you should have to prove that you understand the obligations that comes with voting.

Of course, who is going to define the test.



posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   
You know there did used to be a test that certain voters had to pass in order to be able to vote. Often the ones who would grade the test would lie and say they failed the test.... The people who had to take the test were black.

As you say, it's not meant to be racist, but for what it is worth, the history of taking tests in order to be able to vote,is racist....

Now, here is the thing. Who gets to decide what questions goes on the test? Who gets to decide what the limit is? What is ignorant and what is not? Who would handle the claims of discrimination and all the lawsuits that would follow? Oh and who is going to change the law to make it constitutional to turn away people from the voting booths? At this point, the only US citizens who cannot vote are convicted felons....So...Yeah...

I have seen such an idea suggested before and simply put, it is just not going to happen.It would not work and is not a realistic or viable option.... It would only encourage and allow for discrimination....Which we cannot allow to happen.

Look, just because you think someone is ignorant, does not mean they are and it does not make their voice any less important.... Trying to drown out voices in such a way, is wrong....

Now, get out there and vote!



posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth
You know there did used to be a test that certain voters had to pass in order to be able to vote. Often the ones who would grade the test would lie and say they failed the test.... The people who had to take the test were black.

As you say, it's not meant to be racist, but for what it is worth, the history of taking tests in order to be able to vote,is racist....

Now, here is the thing. Who gets to decide what questions goes on the test? Who gets to decide what the limit is? What is ignorant and what is not? Who would handle the claims of discrimination and all the lawsuits that would follow? Oh and who is going to change the law to make it constitutional to turn away people from the voting booths? At this point, the only US citizens who cannot vote are convicted felons....So...Yeah...

I have seen such an idea suggested before and simply put, it is just not going to happen.It would not work and is not a realistic or viable option.... It would only encourage and allow for discrimination....Which we cannot allow to happen.

Look, just because you think someone is ignorant, does not mean they are and it does not make their voice any less important.... Trying to drown out voices in such a way, is wrong....

Now, get out there and vote!


Thank you for expressing that so eloquently, I don't think I could have been so diplomatic.

Cheers



posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
if you continue going to the polls to vote you are already ignorant no matter who or what you vote for. when you come to terms that none of it is real you will begin moving away from this ignorance. If you wish me to explain it all to you, you are truly worse than ignorant.

you will not get any further along than my punctuation,grammar and spelling.



posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by uSNUUZuLUUz
 


so, who decides who is ignorant?



posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by superluminal11
 


So because I vote and take an interest in who wants to lead my country, county, district and parish, I am ignorant. How does that work? Maybe you should be the first person that is denied the ability to vote. Family has died so I can exercise this right, and you treat this right so lightly.






top topics



 
5
<<   2  3 >>

log in

join