It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Radioactive Seaweed!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
OLYMPIA, Washington -- Radiation leaked from the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power complex in Japan has been detected in seaweed in Puget Sound, but researchers say there's no need for alarm.

KIRO 7 obtained samples of seaweed from Budd Inlet near Olympia two weeks ago. Professor Kris Starosta at Simon Fraser University confirmed the presence of radioactive iodine Monday.

"We have seen iodine 131 in the sample you sent us," he said. "I think it's pretty clear by now this must be iodine 131 from releases from Fukushima."

The confirmation came on the same day Japan raised the crisis level at the plant from 5 to 7, the highest level on the international scale.

"I think it is surprising," Starosta said. "I guess I was assuming it wouln't reach this far, but it did."

The radiation levels found in the seaweed are lower than those detected in Vancouver, B.C., two weeks ago, possibly because the samples came from the beach and not underwater, Starosta said.

Some people we spoke with expressed concern about the radiation, but Starosta said it posed no danger to people.

"The impact so far we see from the releases -- the impact on the west coast of North America -- is really minimal," he said.

To put things in perspective, Starosta said that if you were to eat 2 pounds of dried seaweed with the highest levels of radiation he and his team had detected, it would be the equivalent of getting one dental X-ray.
www.kirotv.com...

edit on 12-4-2011 by mileslong54 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
These morons that keep stating this stuff is visible in the environment but say there is no need for concern need the # kicked out them. They're falsehoods are so blatant. Why even give the issue media press coverage if its a non issue? These media whores don't want to be the one's to rock the boat. But its fairly obvious, if you have a brain, that this is serious and people should take precautions if they really care about their health and that of their families.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by mileslong54

To put things in perspective, Starosta said that if you were to eat 2 pounds of dried seaweed with the highest levels of radiation he and his team had detected, it would be the equivalent of getting one dental X-ray.
www.kirotv.com...

Yummy, radioactive seaweed! Coming to your local sushi bar soon!

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Taken two weeks ago, and not even from the sea? Up to the same old tricks. When the detectable radiation plume came over a few weeks ago, the EPA was smart. The plume was due Friday evening, so they took the air sample early that morning so they could reassure people that although they were detecting radiation, it was extremely low. The milk sample in WA was taken from a sample only a few days after the accident. I believe they carefully plan readings that they can then announce as very low before a higher concentration can collect. After that, the public is calmed, duped, and on their way.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
NVM.
edit on 12-4-2011 by notsofunnyguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
A cute real life anecdote. A company my friend works for is in the cosmetic industry. They had just purchased a rival shortly after he began there and when he was going through one of their new facilities auditing them he asked the production manager where they got one of the essential extracts used in one of the beauty products and loudly advertized on the packaging. The PM told him that they bought all they needed when the production line was started. My buddy knew that they had made close to a half a billion units of this product over the past 10 years and he asked if he could see the remaining supply. He was shown a 350 gallon tote and amazingly it was still over half full. Puzzled, he asked the PM how they made it last so long. The PM explained to him that according to the FDA labeling rules, unlike food, cosmetics only have to list the first three ingredients by mass proportion and can then list any ingredient in any order they like. The only qualifier is the ingredient has to be detectable and the detection limits of modern instruments is unbelievable.

Modern instruments have the ability to test down to the parts per quadrillion. That’s why we get stories like this.

new topics

top topics

join