It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Police Increasingly Peeping at E-mail, Instant Messages

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Law enforcement organizations are making tens of thousands of requests for private electronic information from companies such as Sprint, Facebook and AOL, but few detailed statistics are available, according to a privacy researcher.

Police and other agencies have "enthusiastically embraced" asking for e-mail, instant messages and mobile-phone location data, but there's no U.S. federal law that requires the reporting of requests for stored communications data, wrote Christopher Soghoian, a doctoral candidate at the School of Informatics and Computing at Indiana University, in a newly published paper.........."It is often cheaper and easier to do it after the fact rather than in real-time," Soghoian wrote.

Cox Communications, a major U.S. service provider, charges $3,500 for a wiretap and $2,500 for a pen register. Account information, however, costs a mere $40.
news.yahoo.com...

I searched and didn't find this posted yet.
Just because your paranoid, does not mean they're not watching you . ha.

Do not put any incriminating info in IM's or Emails folks. This should be common knowledge. But at least we know they really are looking at the public's internet communications, and it is much cheaper for them to do it this way.

edit on 12-4-2011 by toolstarr because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by toolstarr

Law Enforcement MUST have a warrant to get access to the information listed with one exception - A location based off a cell phone, and even then it must be an exigent circumstance (suicide, kidnapping - The other exception is consent of the account owner).

We cant just call up Sprint, give them a name, and have all their records faxed to us.

Phone, Email, IM's - All fall under expectation of privacy, and as such, a warrant is required (which means an active investigation and probable cause).

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Looks like my "full moon" emoticon is going to get some use!

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

I hope that is true. However I have "heard" of many examples that by using the Patriot Act and lame claim of potential domestic terrorism. They obtain information where the nature of the act is abused repeatedly. Whatever information obtained is admissible even when it's obvious that the case had nothing to do with domestic terrorism. I really hope I am wrong about this. You can't believe everything you hear. If I am incorrect please show me some sources. I am all for stopping these lunatics. But if we continue to lose personal freedoms as law abiding citizens then the terrorist have already won.
edit on 4/12/2011 by JerryB08 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra
reply to post by toolstarr

Law Enforcement MUST have a warrant to get access to the information listed with one exception - A location based off a cell phone, and even then it must be an exigent circumstance (suicide, kidnapping - The other exception is consent of the account owner).

We cant just call up Sprint, give them a name, and have all their records faxed to us.

Phone, Email, IM's - All fall under expectation of privacy, and as such, a warrant is required (which means an active investigation and probable cause).

They don't need a warrant if they ask nicely do they?

Second.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Cops are bullies..here is why---

1.)everyone knows the U.S. system is corrupt. and every cop participates willingly. Personally profitting from a corrupt system. what does that sound like?

2.) any cop too stupid to realize this is definitely too dumb to be given a gun and a badge.

I was a real man, an operator, in the USMC. My warrant officer taught our unit "cops pin on their courage and strap on their balls"

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
You cant trust warrants or probable cause.

They are imperfect limitations on an imperfect system run and played by imperfect people.

In the same way a trial by your peers is complete bunk as well. In case you havent noticed your peers are all unstable lunatics.

The reality is that none of us have any expectation of privacy. If they want to know they'll find a way.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

MUST is a strong word for strongly suggested. I mean who's going to arrest them? The Police?

new topics

top topics

join