It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has any ATS member been trolled off-site?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Reading the board issues it surprises me that members have been quoted and mentioned on other sites.

Just for fun I Googled my user name.
I became aware that there is more than one "half old man" on the web.
However, one Facebook site really surprised me.
It's called "Being Half old man and half turd".
Not even sure to what or whom it refers to, but I wouldn't be surprised if some troll set it up.
Let's not feed the trolls (and I mean really nasty trolls).
But everyone is concerned about "disinfo agents" and "trolls" and playing with those terms on ATS/BTS.

But what if those trolls set up things beyond this site?
I guess sticking out over time on ATS is quite a compliment, because considering the T&C of the site one can only be singled out for valid opinion, rather than bad behavior.

I think we should stick together and oppose bullying according to other sites' policies, or support each other.
Or should we just ignore it?
What say the great un-brainwashed?

Experiences, motives, solutions sought.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

It happens, sure, and curiosity can get the better of people.

I remember ProtoplasmicTraveler going through some nonsense.

Apparently, people were quoting him around the world, that has happened to me as well.

I've searched for my ATS name and as well my real name.

And found both through both searches.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Wow, thanks fort that.
It's something I never really considered.
Luckily where my username is concerned, there are no comments, so it is hard to tell.
I do find it creepy, but I guess we should be honored rather than surprised.
In general however, the links via ATS link to my crappier threads (IMO) in general, rather than my really good ones.
So the issue about "disinfo agents" is not really internal, it is how our community is used outside the forum.
However, I always thought this is done by some machine?
Now I do wonder.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   

I e-mailed one guy and demanded he take my words off of his website.

He apologized, more snarling really, and pointed to the Digital Millenium Copyright Act.

The problem I had with it was he was selling shirts based on something I said.

And I didn't get a penny for that which pissed me off.

The thread in my signature How Dare You Mr. President and Congress... was the one.
edit on 4/12/11 by SpartanKingLeonidas because: Adding Depth and Insight Into the Post.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Referring to something like this:

One such board, Above Top Secret, created entire discussion threads surrounding the phenomenon, with one user, screen-named 'Under Water' creating a preliminary map of the incidents in the U.S.

Source: ______beforeitsnews/story/550/177/Apocalypse_and_the_New_Madrid_Fault.html

I'm not really sure how one could go about preventing such a thing without also then joining the anti-freedom on the internet campaign. Slippery slope.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I also think there is a dichotomy in society regarding conspiracy theory.
It may be accepted as long as one only finds conspiracies to support a certain line of ideology.
However, that ideology quickly feels itself betrayed when the same line of thinking is applied to itself.
So I've read on members on BTS saying they were suddenly attacked for being on a "conspiracy website", when they voiced any misgivings.
I would once then again remind myself, and others not to reveal their activities here, or personal information to anyone.
Friends can quickly turn to enemies.
The warning on not sharing personal info should not only count on the web.
Unless your position is secure, I would not divulge a username or thread to any real life "friends".
Perhaps that's just me, but nobody needs to know...
edit on 12-4-2011 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   

I have had people pretend to be me on other forums (why I don't know) been flamed, lied and about and accused of many things.

Mostly the accusations have come from banned ex ATS members - and really, if you get banned and then feel the need to join another site to slate or blame someone for your own lack of decorum, then a person (or however many) seriously needs to get a grip.

Some sites even have whole forums dedicated to this topic - it's really quite funny the lengths some people go to...

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

I also have an inkling that some banned members have something to do with it.
Particularly if one has been obsessively trolled, and they think one member is somehow responsible for their predicament.
Hard to say for definite in many cases however - I mean people do take on organizations on ATS that are hardcore trolls in real life.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Meh, I could care less if some twerp in mommies basement has nothing better to do with his time.

While he's getting all self righteous and trying to prove whatever point it is he's trying to make, I'll be down the pub chatting up a girl at the bar

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Im not sure what to call this. I never really did a search on my screenname befor.
theendtimesarehere.com...

They even have a link to email me at ATS. Do I have email at ATS?
mailto:[email protected]
edit on 12-4-2011 by JBA2848 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

Wow, some incredible stuff, thanks for sharing.
I guess we can become so engrossed in our world here, and it's a bit of a shock that anybody else might care.
Maybe it's a good sign, and we shouldn't care.
However, considering that real bullying and trolling does demoralize and harm some people, it's also important to know that nobody is alone in our community, and we can share these things.
I'd say we have some of the best bloggers on the web on ATS, and we should never allow outside spite to cramp our style.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
This will be off topic but want to send a thanks to the OP

You got me curious, googled my user name, came up with [url=http://intheknow7.wordpress.com/2010/04/11/godlike-productions-glp-%E2%80%9Ccontrolled-opposition%E2%80%9D-gatekeepers-for-global-mgt-team/]this[ /url]

I'm almost 100% sure that this has its own thread here, but I never noticed my name on the list of "paid bloggers and disinfo agents". I need to figure out who I work for so I can sue for back wages

But back on topic, I think it'd probably be best to let it be...at least that's what I would do if trolled off site, As long as its not that inflammatory. I'd also take it as an ego boost. You're hated enough to be trolled far and wide.

Now if someone is using your words to make money, it's only a matter of time before a big enough case gives you precedent to sue for infringement.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

That site has been brought to our attention already... I'm a little torn over it because on the one hand they are abiding the DMCA/Creative Commons Deed, but, on the other hand they are selling a book.

It's a technical violation of the CC Deed and could be looked upon as a "commercial use" of our content. If they had outside ads (ads others were paying them for displaying) on the page I would definitely send them a take down notice, but, as it is they really aren't directly violating the deed IMO.

The "email address" is bogus (so is the "ATS username has posted x number of articles on this site"), it's the url to our RSS feed. Pretty shady and deceptive for people who claim to be "religious".

Springer...

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Springer

There on a blacklist I see.
blackhole21 at five-ten-sg.com
IP address 66.135.38.33 is listed here as 66.135.38.90 misc

misc - Miscellaneous includes (but is NOT limited to) the following groups. Note that this does NOT include misc.spam which is listed under spam above.
1) /24 blocks of addresses containing systems that are apparently sending bulk email (in volumes apparently comparable with the volume from AOL, Earthlink, Google), with any of the following attributes: missing or bogus reverse dns, reverse dns names in domains with no web server, or domains with boilerplate web content.
2) Systems that are strongly suspected of being multistage open relays (where I have not been able to identify the input stage) or open proxies.

www.five-ten-sg.com...

I guess they send out mass emails?

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Springer

The "email address" is bogus (so is the "ATS username has posted x number of articles on this site"), it's the url to our RSS feed. Pretty shady and deceptive for people who claim to be "religious".

I thought that was the definition of religious - deceptive and shady!

Interestingly enough a number of the sites that have plagiarized some of my works are all about saving the world from dishonest governments, corporations and religions even while engaged in the dishonest activity of stealing content from ATS and it’s members.

Most of the sites out there are pretty good about crediting me and ATS but there are some real unscrupulous ones out there.

There is little more annoying than having someone read what I wrote on ATS on another site, and then confront me here on ATS about whether I stole it or not.

I don't think some of these shady site owners comprehend the aggrivation that they cause for members and staff of ATS when they do that.

Considering that they can republish legally simply by crediting ATS and the Member who wrote the article it sure seems a stupid and or dishonest practice when sites don't.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

I guess they see you as a bigger target compared to me.

No one has ever done it to that extent with me.

This is an electronic world where dishonest people match those in Washington D.C.

Where bloggers are seen as viable news sources.

Sorry, I'd rather listen to the Mainstream Media's lies, and decipher them.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Well I think my case is coming from Jen Wojcik
www.linkedin.com...

Jennifer L. Wojcik [LION 1700+ Connections]
Title
Co-Founder / CEO at Pinqued LLC
Demographic info
Austin, Texas Area | Events Services
Current: Co-Founder / CEO at Pinqued LLC Past: CEO / President at YouGuru LLC, Market Development Team Lead at Click Forensics, Inc., Account Executive at Superior Technical Resources, Domesti...Education: St. Edward's University Summary: Pinqued LLC was formed in partnership with Kate Buck in November of 2009 after a successful event during Blogworld '09 in Las Vegas. We have been...

Her work with Click Forensics, Inc means she spies on sites and finds hot topics. She is the one who owns the ip address and she lives in AUstin Texas same area ATS is at. She calls herself Jen Wojcik “Social Media Punk Princess”

bgp.he.net...

66.135.38.33 youguru.net
bwoj.com, codeoftheheroicera.com, dynamental.com, getpinqued.com, intuitiveskeptic.com, pinqued.com, shenaniganstweetup.com, theendtimesarehere.com, trueblueministry.com, ucardi.com, vsconf.com, vsconference.com, youguru.net
edit on 12-4-2011 by JBA2848 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join