It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Weird and Wacky World of Physics: Strings, Calabi-Yau and Massless Blackholes

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Let me first thank you. I was captured in the beginning of your thread and left hanging at the end. Truly a fascinating look into what presents itself as a promising theory.

Of course you get the star and flag for this.... plus a subscription which I will check in on frequently.

I do question the Einstein gravity theory though. Just a hunch of understanding telling me that there may be as many as 6 concave dimensions of space that are the guide and force of gravity. I MUST POINT OUT that I am no physics expert either. But a single concave plain is much too simple of an idea. A start, absolutely! However I feel there is more.

Again, thank you for the intrigue!

edit on 4/13/2011 by forall2see because: walked through a wormhole real quick like...

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 12:47 AM
link   
an awesome thread. Not only for those beginners but for those needing a little clarification. With an interest in the concept of physics models. Many of the theories left my mind melting, and your thread explains them so well.

you get a s&f.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 01:49 AM
link   
Fascinating stuff. Thanks for posting. Food for thought.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 02:05 AM
link   
too bad that i can only give this thread a one star and one flag.
fascinating thread,one of the rare informative posts in ats about physics.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 03:55 AM
link   
string theory is cool but lacking ...

everything is energy, there are no elementary particles only elementary energy

reality is an illusion, albeit a very persistent one -Einstein

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 04:01 AM
link   
reply to post by BlackPoison94

Damn you Balckpoison94 you just made me log in!

Your thread is superb in everyway, does this mean that the quality of ATS threads are picking up now, gosh I hope so. From what I have skimmed so far it is looking like my afternoon will be taken up absorbing all of it. Star and flagged deservedly.

Well done and thank you

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 04:12 AM
link   
my theory is that the true elementary particle is yin yang

now bear with me,

you must understand that these types of things can only be imagined and it's not possible to actually visualize something like this as it could never at any time be physically noticed/detected with a useful measuring device (I say this because we have the ability to "sense" energetic changes)

the basis of the entire universe is + / - , yin yang

and it is pure energy nothing "physical" involved

for this to make sense you would have to imagine the universe as water and everything in it as energy waves, the complex combination of all the waves creates an interference pattern (it's 3d to us, though more dimensions do exist energetically but people aren't ready for my theory on that yet).

truly holographic

there is something to ancient philosophy after all

don't ask for a link because there isn't one, I made it up myself and if you don't get it I suggest you look into it and learn more! it's fascinating

edit: some people refer to this energy as the quantum vacuum flux, SEP (Scalar Electrostatic Potential), virtual particle flux, etc.

edit on 13-4-2011 by berilium because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 04:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlackPoison94
If anyone wants to read more into the String Theory...Brian Greene's 'The Elegant Universe' is the best place to start.

Yes his videos are good, although to explain away gravity as a weak force by picking up an apple from the sand
and assuming that you have overcome the gravitational force of the whole earth. No by picking up the apple, you have only overcome the gravitional force of the apple.
Nonetheless great OP, though string and super strings will remain essentially an hypothesis until proven beyond any reasonable doubt experimentally. I dont see that happening anytime soon, if at all.
Physicists everywhere do not know when they are delving into circular math, and mirror images.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 05:29 AM
link   
Great post 94. S&F'd.

I have always had an interest in physics, tho never delved into it just liked to keep up with current thoughts, and this stuff ( string theory and the like) just blows me away.

I have two thoughts tho, we pretty much know what seperate atoms and associated particles look like, i wonder if we will ever really know what strings and branes look like. Also, it seems the futher down the hole we look the more particles we find. I mean, at one time we thought atoms was all there was, then we discovered they were made of other smaller particles, so, what would strings and branes be made of

Can't wait to see more posts from ya, more brainstrain to come

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 06:10 AM
link   
Tried to get my heard round these subjects a few times over the past few years and failed miserably. Most recently I watched Horizon's What is Reality:

www.youtube.com...

Quite funny when they ask the real experts, What is reality? And none of them can answer.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 06:52 AM
link   
Nice thread ! I have a very minimal knowledge of science, but I am particularly amazed by some of the theories expressed in today's quantum physics. Many physicist are coming out with theories that nothing in this world is solid or matter does not exist. And without observer their can be no universe. I wonder what you think about it.

Matter does not exist

peaceandloveism.com...

“Concerning matter, we have been all wrong. What we have called matter is energy, whose vibration has been so lowered as to be perceptible to the senses. There is no matter.”

- Quote attributed to Albert Einstein

Yes, this is quite a bold statement, if true, that would certainly demand some sort of evidence or mathematical proof to back it up. It may seem like a paradox that the things which we can see and touch are nonexistent. However, there is an answer to this, which may be found in the bold and exciting (relatively) new science of quantum physics.

In ages past, it was believed that what we can see and touch, like a rock for instance, was the elements, in other words, matter. However, as science developed, such as chemistry, and much more recently quantum physics, it had been observed that matter seems to exist on one hand, but once one takes a deep look into the heart of the matter (no pun intended), there seems as if there is nothing.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Amazing post.... Sill don't understand it..... but this has explained a few things
S&F!

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by illuminazislayer
Nice thread ! I have a very minimal knowledge of science, but I am particularly amazed by some of the theories expressed in today's quantum physics. Many physicist are coming out with theories that nothing in this world is solid or matter does not exist. And without observer their can be no universe. I wonder what you think about it.

Matter does not exist

peaceandloveism.com...

“Concerning matter, we have been all wrong. What we have called matter is energy, whose vibration has been so lowered as to be perceptible to the senses. There is no matter.”

- Quote attributed to Albert Einstein

Yes, this is quite a bold statement, if true, that would certainly demand some sort of evidence or mathematical proof to back it up. It may seem like a paradox that the things which we can see and touch are nonexistent. However, there is an answer to this, which may be found in the bold and exciting (relatively) new science of quantum physics.

In ages past, it was believed that what we can see and touch, like a rock for instance, was the elements, in other words, matter. However, as science developed, such as chemistry, and much more recently quantum physics, it had been observed that matter seems to exist on one hand, but once one takes a deep look into the heart of the matter (no pun intended), there seems as if there is nothing.

I agree with you : matter does not really exist, what we feel with our senses when we touch a chair for example, is just highly concentrated energy : I explain ( as I said in another thread ) : take 2 magnets and try to push the north pole against the other north pole - what do you feel ? yes you feel repulsion, the nearer the stronger, and after a while the force seems to be touching like touching a wall : looks like it is touching matter !
Anyway : never forget that when you walk on the ground with your feet, you never really touch the ground ! because the electrons of the ground atoms/molecules never touch the electrons of the feet atoms/molecules.
Otherwise they would merge together and collide - no, there is a repulsion between the electrons of each sort of atoms.
So the next question is : why look for Higgs ??? not for the MATTER but for the MASS ?
what makes the mass ? photon has NO mass that is for sure. Have to look for all this also once more.
edit on 13-4-2011 by Sunlionspirit because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Great write-up and my favourite subject

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Why I love posts like these:

To begin, I'd like the reader to know where I'm coming from, I am the kind of guy who just likes to sit back, observe, and think; derive explanations, models and relations for whatever the train of thought leads to, to the point of OCD.

SO, more from where i'm coming from:
after years of academic exposure to a broad range of sciences: Math, logic, physics, chemistry, phil, etc... Years of documentary, forum and video exposure to the above mentioned topics as well as mostly every topic category a site like this would have to offer, although some more than others ( information > conspiracy )

Years of dabbling in "meaning of life" sort of food such as philosophy, metaphysics, meditation, spirituality, etc...
A childhood of genuine interest in technology and realistic science fictions, that's me.

SO, where I am:
About to enter finals week, I'm on the edge. I've been coding assignments nonstop for weeks now, busting out hard laps at the pool, playing master's league Starcraft, and using whatever mental stimulus I can get my resourceful hands on to sharpen my already finely sharpened edge

AND THUS, my current thoughts:
Right here, at a relative maximum of nerve activity, I read a post like this, watch the linked video, and when he goes on explaining the curled dimensions... I'm able to intuitively see, with my intuition, the existential structure of these extra dimensions. Let me be clear, in my head, I'm not taking object A (curled dimension) and object B (larger dimension) and drawing a simple "A is in B" relation. No. I'm using my already general intuition of matrices, wave mechanics, geometry, and everything else, and with this basis, I explore the notion that the physicist is conveying, and I play with it a bit, everything is SO ABSTRACT, the abstractness from everything abstractly blends together to new abstractness and at this point, for a short moment, at full thought train momentum, for the short moment that my neurons are able to maintain this highly complex and synchronous environment, I'm in the infinite. In my head, I'm toying around/exploring the fabric of reality itself. My ability to articulate is nowhere near anywhere to be able to express just how MIND BLOWING this is. I'm no stranger to string theory, and as far as I'm concerned, it could be an incorrect theory, HOWEVER, there is a certain sort of universal truth that my intuition can recognize and soak into the subconscious from it, a little bit of truth, a little bit of potential??... Like I said, articulation is difficult at these levels.

That is why I love posts like these, they're awesome, thank you for your time and effort.
Everybody should dabble in the weird and wacky world of physics.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Wow. Thank you everyone. Some great things to think about and I appreciate the time you took to read and post

I'd like to address 2 points.

1. The Holographic Principle
Let's remember that this is still a theory yet it's actually being tested..I can't remember where but either Fermilab or Stanford are coming to my head. I may be completely wrong but it's definitely some American physicist.

Now, the idea that we are actually 'holograms' is rather unsettling. What I picked up though from some books I've read is that it may in some way indicate that everything is pre-planned. That information about ourselves is 'stored' in the surface of the universe.

Ooo good idea for another thread haha...I can fit this snugly in.

2. Matter is energy (or matter does not exist)
Bear in mind we are just starting to unveil string theory. We've gone down from atoms to protons, neutrons to quarks and now to strings. These strings could indeed be in the future shown to be 'energy' or so. We don't actually know. But think about it. It is the energy that the string has that determines what it'll be. Energy is the key factor here...and it does influence basically most things I could think off.

There is a thing called wave duality. In some cases, we see things as a wave or as a particle, matter. It's all based down on probability...and one of these probability functions collapses causing us to either see things such as a wave or matter. Therefore in that sense, matter indeed can be seen to be energy (dependent on the wavelength) or not exist.
edit on 13-4-2011 by BlackPoison94 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   
I'm looking forward to reading your post. I just wanted to tell you that I totally agree with what you said in your first few sentences: that Mr. Greene has a gift insomuch as being able to explain his complicated science to someone who may be completely unfamiliar with it.
Several years ago I read Greene's "Fabric of the Cosmos" and found that it was a fluid, understandable and enjoyable read to me. He also has a great sense of humor that he easily incorporates into his presentation which gives him all the more appeal, IMO.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Sunlionspirit

Originally posted by Sunlionspirit
Anyway : never forget that when you walk on the ground with your feet, you never really touch the ground ! because the electrons of the ground atoms/molecules never touch the electrons of the feet atoms/molecules.
Otherwise they would merge together and collide - no, there is a repulsion between the electrons of each sort of atoms.
So the next question is : why look for Higgs ??? not for the MATTER but for the MASS ?
what makes the mass ? photon has NO mass that is for sure. Have to look for all this also once more.

Thanks for replying, it makes sense
. I know it is difficult to explain nature of reality in words, and I think science is doing a good job to describe it but it has to also take into consideration "consciousness."

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
S&F

Amazing Thread ..Thank you for this very well explained....Love Brian Greene

I have subscribed for more info

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Sunlionspirit

What you said about the electron repulsion is very true and yet very scary..

You mention the massless photon. Truth is, it did have mass but it was cancelled from the quantum fluctuations because you can indeed get NEGATIVE energy...which totally goes against the Boltzmann Distribution in Chemistry...but hey this is Physics we're talking about.

And...that massless photon may actually be a phase transition of a massless black hole

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join