It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

inflation hits home........

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
has it hit home for you yet?
just returned from trader joes.
in the couple of weeks since my last visit many items are noticeably higher.
tomatoes jumped over a buck a pound.
coffee has gone up an estimated 20%.
all grains like granola and cereal are higher.
other fresh fruit and veggies have noticeably increased.

gas is pretty much a given at this point, but am i missing anything that is obvious?

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by rubbertramp

You pretty much nailed it, but don't forget about the price of clothes. Also, a lot of food manufacturers tend to scale back the amount of food per package, but keep the price the same. Most people never notice it because the price is the same. For example, a company that normally sells 20 oz of product X for $4.00 may start selling 16 oz for the same price, but keep it packaged in the same size box. Pretty tricky.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   
its every where guy ...

Milks gone up a 1$ for the organic stuff....

Veggies + Fruits have all gone up ....

Start a garden you can save a lot of loot and develop a green thumb @ the same time...

Love watching stuff grow

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   
just got through reading a report done in Canada.. a survey done from Jan - March shoes that 38% more people are hurting from fuel and food prices. That brings the total to nearly 1/2 of all Canadians have significantly impacted budgets now. The report went on to say that in Canada food has jumped 37% and gas has gone up 16% in the past 12 months.

In another report I red yesterday, the media is telling us that every household can expect to spend an additional $950.00 per year in additional gas prices, the report did not speculate what the rising cost of fuel will do to the grocery bill.

Apparently although it's bad now, it's only going to get worse.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   

I feel your pain. The increase in gas has led to an increase in shipping costs, which is passed on to consumers in the form of higher grocery and supply prices. Hopefully, like 2 years ago when gas was at a crazy all-time high, people cut back on driving. The interstates were nearly empty of spring/summer pleasure travel. This led to the slow decrease in gas prices to about $1.38 (at its lowest, in Virginia, around 2 years ago). Since then, gas has only crept higher in price to today's outrageous prices again. It's as if our economy and the American public are on a grand cross-training machine, only it is exercising our bank accounts in extreme cycles, slowly building up our tolerance against high prices, making us accept them more and more. As you can see it is somewhat effective since there is not as much of an outcry this time around like last time.

Of course, TPTB (The Powers That Be) use mainstream media to soften the impact, quickly illustrating to us how bad "they have it in other countries," and how we should "count ourselves lucky." Meanwhile, the oil industry is surely having record profits at our expense again. They made a major mistake last time by making headlines about how they were making unprecedented profits all the while when gas prices were at unprecedented heights. This time around, notice how they are COMPLETELY OUT OF THE NEWS unless you try to find stories via personal research. Dig just a little, and surely you'll see they're raking in the gold. This, of course, is good for the corrupt and greedy bankers ---because it shows that they aren't the only ones out to destroy the middle class.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   
I fear this is only the beginning.

I have entertained the thought of buying my produce from roadside stands and farmers markets for years, I guess it's time to actually do so.

edit on 12-4-2011 by gatewaywithin because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by OptimusSubprime

ah, yes, great point.
one of the most noticable is pasta.
a one pound package is pretty much non-existent now.
13 ounce is the norm.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   

The two biggest signs of inflation are the price of gold and the price of oil, which obviously effects the price of gas. The price of a barrel of oil is tied to the value of the dollar. The only way to purchase oil is with US dollars. So, for example, when Germany goes to buy oil they have to exchange their German marks for US dollars and then they buy the oil. Same for any other country. This is why gas is so much cheaper here in the US than anywhere else. The less valuable our dollar, the more dollars it takes to purchase oil, and so the price of oil goes up to adjust for the decrease in the value of the dollar... and as a result of that gas prices go up. Of course turmoil and unrest in the mid-east does account for some of the price fluctuation, but the primary reason gas is going up is because of inflation. It also has nothing to do with price gouging or "greedy oil companies". The oil companies have no control over the price of oil, because of its relation to the US dollar. If the government really cared about us and our troubles in regards to affording to put gas in our cars they would suspend all gas taxes. That would drop the price of gas by almost $1.00 a gallon.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   
If it even gets near me ill punch right in the face

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Invariance

yes, and one of the major influences is the price of diesel.
the truckers are hurting and almost everything in the grocery store is transported by semi.
the increase is obviously passed on to us.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
I think this is only the beginning also. Such a big difference now, used to be able to go to the supermarket with 100 bucks and need a ride back because it was so much, now with 100 I'd be surprised if the cart is almost full. What hasnt been raised yet.

And the sad thing is some store owners are really trying not to raise prices too much for the sake of their customers but theyre getting pinched in the process too.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by GhostLancer

great reply, i just mentioned the increase in shipping.

what really sucks for me, to be honest, is the higher organic and natural foods climb, the more i lean towards the chemical crap.

in other words, i find myself not eating as healthy.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by OptimusSubprime

There's nothing better than that feeling of pure joy, that I receive after opening a big bag of potato chips, that is filled with 80% air.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Yesterday my wife and I loaded up two huge rucksacks 4 cloth shopping bags and a few plastic bags full of food. It cost us 163 dollars.

We're going again next week. To spend another 100 bucks on non nonperishables. I've been warning people to stock up on food and I'm NOT KIDDING. This is no longer a joke. Food is going to start getting prohibitively expensive.

Just bought another 200 rounds of 5.56mm rounds as well. Stock the hell up!

The threads in my signature cover this.

Mod Edit : Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

edit on 12-4-2011 by xpert11 because: Mod Edit and note

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
I went to the grocery store on Saturday evening so I could make a good steak dinner for my family. This was not regular grocery shopping where I bought the regular cart full of groceries- it was just to get stuff for our special dinner.

This is pretty much everything I purchased: 2 large steaks, 1 package of tamales, salad fixings, squash/zucchini/onions for a casserole, a four pack of beer for hubby and I, a package of pasta and some sauces, a gallon of milk, a little cake at the bakery for dessert, and a toy ball my son wanted while going down the aisles. Everything fit into about 4 plastic grocery bags.

The total for one meal was $97 (or rounded to $100). For a home cooked meal? I usually don't notice how things add up and it's not unusual for my regular grocery amount to be between $300-$400 dollars. But having it singled out as one meal and being that much, was a bit pricey, I thought.

Granted, I shop at the smaller more expensive family owned small town store and not at the mega chains like the super wal-mart. But still.

I remember a year ago I went all out for 'seafood night' and that one dinner cost $80 to make at home. I used to be able to make a 'grand dinner' (which isn't all that grand) for about $20-$30 just a few years go.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

Far be it for me to tell you how to do things, but from now on I would consider going to the grocery store ONLY if you're going to stock up on foods that will last you a while, and LOTS of it.

I've been stocking up on everything. Bags of rice and beans, multivitamins, canned foods, cereals, powdered milk and soy milk(it lasts a long time without refrigeration)...

Just please look out for yourselves.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

Wow... how much was the ball?! Anyway, I have never thought of it like that. I don't think I have gone to the store to get food for one specific meal. My wife and I usually plan out a week in advance what we will eat and then go get it all at once. It seems to me that it may have been cheaper to go out for a steak dinner than to cook it yourself and that is very disturbing. I remember when eating at home was a way to actually save money, but it seems that isn't the case anymore.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

That is freakin' nuts!

People will begin to starve for real at that rate.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

yes, i couldn't agree more.
i have my 'survival storage shed' packed to the gills, yet
I NEED FRESH FOOD!
i could undoubtedly survive off of what i have stashed away but also fear a decline in my health if fresh is not longer available.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Bacon! I used to buy bacon for $1.99/lb or less routinely. Now, I cant seem to find it for less than $2.50/lb on sale.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join