It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Obama's Cave In To GOP Extremists Will Devastate The Economy

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Danbones
reply to post by centurion1211

they passed laws that gave tax breaks to companies who off shored the labour
blaming the peeps for this
is a non stater

they are to asleepy to listen anyway

Companies would never have looked to go off shore without the incentive to do so created by high labor costs and over-regulation by the government.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Again, I see people running to government to do something about corporations, but it is the same government that gives breaks and writes the tax codes for the same corporations that people complain about.

I am a fan of the rich.
I admire their drive and success.
I want to be rich some day.
Plus, they pay people. (but obviously not enough)

edit on 12-4-2011 by beezzer because: scotch on my T key

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   

NAFTA and CAFTA also gave them incentive. Cheap labor with minimum employee benefits. Instead of reversing NAFTA, which i was dissappointed in with Bush, the politicians give companies tax breaks to keep them here?
It is no benefit to the citizens.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

And the top 10% control two-thirds of the nation's wealth. So they deserve to have at least two-thirds of the tax revenue applied to them.

Unfortunately, we keep giving tax breaks to the wealthy. "Trickle down economics".....they have never worked. Do some research, trickle down was instituted in the 1910's and 20's and they lead to the Great Depression. Reagan's plan will have the same effect (which we are already in, some could argue) but it won't be felt by the elites.

We need to hold corporations accountable, and taxable. We need reform. The American people need, but will our government give? No, they won't, because the minority (the haves) control the majority (the have-nots).

Let us spread our message to others and end the corruption. It will take effort, but I'm in it for a long run.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Anyone that thinks the Law of Supply and demand is the economic operating system is a fool.

Speculation and market manipulation have taken over completely in this brave new world.

ask.metafilter.com...

If you can't operate with these concepts www.ingenesist.com...

then perhaps you belong in your current economic state of Fox style illusion and stasis.
edit on 12-4-2011 by whaaa because: ivy and chains

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by filosophia

I have a slight problem with your history lesson: you say that Hoover curtailed or reduced the spending, and tent cities called Hoovervilles sprung up. But Obama INCREASED spending and tent cities still pop up called Obamavilles.

So maybe there are more factors then simply the government starting up the printing presses. If anything that has no effect on the economy except rising prices caused by inflation.

It's true that the recovery of our economy is happening more slowly than most of us would like. Job growth is now on the positive side of the ledger, though only by a little. Most economists agree that If the stimulus had been BIGGER it would have had a more dramatic immediate effect. It is, however, undeniable that the economy IS recovering, and it was declining dramatically under the Bush administration.

There may be "Obamavilles," but nowhere near the number of jobless that there was during the Great Depression of the 1930's. I personally have never known of any. He is slowly expanding the economy (or was until the Republicans started trying to stanch the flow of money into it) whereas Hoover was contracting it.
edit on 12-4-2011 by Sestias because: phrasing

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211

Originally posted by g146541
Oh noes 400,00 jobs lost!!
Other companies will pop up everywhere to fill the vacuum.
If there is a market there will be a supplier.
I don't care for barryO but i don't worry about big companies death throws either.

Yes, if there is a market business will try to fill it.

But you are failing to take into account something that is already happening - many of those companies filling the demand are now overseas due to high labor costs in the U.S. (blame the unions and all the government regulations and red tape).

i blame the companies
blame the unions?? they make up only 11.9% of all workers, you are saying that all those part-time, low wage, no bene, workers really stifled business in this country...
goverment regs??...where were they when this massive financial meltdown happened...

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   

is a non stater

Companies would never have looked to go off shore without the incentive to do so created by high labor costs and over-regulation by the government.

high-labor costs??? you mean more than the 1 dollar an hour in china for labor costs?

let's see how fast america can become a third world nation...

you are comparing trees to jellyfish...we, the american people are supposed to believe this load of bullcrap?

companies are not going to provide jobs for americans at good wages, unless the government grabs them by the gonads and squeezes hard
the world's governments needs to take the global corporations and slam them to the ground, put their foot on their neck and step down hard. they are like junkyard dogs, they only understand force and pain.
the working people of the world are sissies, who let these wealthy MF'ers grind down them and their familes, until they are working for slave pay.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
Again, I see people running to government to do something about corporations, but it is the same government that gives breaks and writes the tax codes for the same corporations that people complain about.

I am a fan of the rich.

Well Beezzer the only problem with the rich here in America is they are creating a self serving system that
Resembles an Oligarchy. This country was in part created to escape the imbalanced wealth system and subsequent tyranny of the Royal system. I think people like you are a HUGE part of the problem, your admiration
makes you blind to the effects of your admiration. Your admiration is only a problem because you vote for people who stack favor for the people who already design the private system on their behalf. These politicians do the stacking because they are inflicted with the same seat of admiration as you describe.

The government is not supposed to be a tool for the private sector ala; oligarchy, fascism, Monarchy, but you seem to think otherwise.

I see people running to government to do something about corporations, but it is the same government that gives breaks and writes the tax codes for the same corporations that people complain about.

read your words above, WHAT AN ADMISSION!!!

YOUR political bedfellows are the very people who give validity to this statement,

You should know all about this
I suggest America would be a better place to live, if conservatives curtailed their staunch admiration for the rich and re-directed it towards the want-to-be rich.

I see people running to government to do something about corporations, but it is the same government that gives breaks and writes the tax codes for the same corporations that people complain about.

So Beezzar, when America is filled with 3 Trillionaires, 85 Billionaires and 400 million peasants can we thank you and your admiration? Unmitigated, this nation will reach such a state, it is a mathematical certainty at this point,
it can be visualized as sand flowing from an hour glass, but contrary to fairy tale logic, the rich are on the bottom
of the equation.

The writing is on the wall, you actually admitted to the motive, can concede the logical progression of this courtship of admiration?

edit on 12-4-2011 by Janky Red because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   

is a non stater

Higher labor costs?

You know sometimes I respond to you like you are sort of stupid, like not very smart, well it is because of statements like the above.

Americas labor cost was comparatively high long before out sourcing became all the rage...

Outsourcing became popular once business admiring politicians changed governmental policy and deregulated
governments role in trade ALA NAFTA

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Let me stop you right there.

This is a false statement and concept.

The U.S. economy does not and should not depend on government spending for its health.

Maybe it SHOULD not, in your opinion, but it does.

It creates many thousands of jobs, for example. It pays contractors and suppliers and small and large companies, etc. to complete government projects.

Take the construction of highways, for example. First it pays surveyors and planners and engineers and the owners of land needed for the project, to name a few start-up costs. Then the government needs a lot of road building equipment, which it buys and/or leases from private manufacturers. It buys concrete and sand and asphalt and all the other materials necessary for a road. It hires many, many workers, including manual laborers, heavy equipment operators, guys who direct traffic around the construction site, supervisors, more engineers, and on and on. It is a very expensive but (I think you will agree) a much-needed project.

That is just one example of how the government fuels the economy.

Would you like to have "smaller government" and build the highway yourself?

edit on 12-4-2011 by Sestias because: redundancy

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Whereweheaded

You comments are very opinionated which suggest to me, you have not read any of the works of Any Rand. This country was founded on the principles of Capitalism. You obviously embrace government intervention, rather than promote individualism.
Sucha a waste of intelligence.

Actually, I have read Ayn Rand. "Atlas Shrugged" and "The Fountain Head" for example (see my signature). I don't have a problem with capitalism in theory, though it needs to have some controls on it. I do think some functions of government (Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security, etc.) would do better being socialized, as some other developed nations do. Believe it or not, it doesn't have to be either/or. They can coexist. You also set up a false dichotomy between individualism and social responsibility. They, too, also can and do coexist. I know some Swedes, for example, who are definitely unique.

Ayn Rand doesn't just extol capitalism. She also worships greed, ruthlessness, exploitation, heartlessness, and unadulterated egotism. She disdains all those who are not millionaires and outright hates the poor. She thinks these people deserve to be trampled underfoot by a capitalist juggernaut.

When I read Rand's books I, too, thought her ideas were great. I was nineteen years old. Then I realized that, intelligent and educated as I was, I probably would never be a millionaire. Most people aren't. As I had more life experience I also learned compassion and the joy of doing work I loved. I realized that I was one of the "little people" Rand has such disdain for.

When you grow up you will realize that she over-glamorizes not only capitalism but some despicable and anti-social and even criminal behavior. You will learn what happens to most people in the dog-eat-dog reality of the Darwinian struggle for existence. We are all more likely to be the victims rather than the beneficiaries of Ayn Rand's ideal world.

And of course I'm opinionated. I think. Aren't you?

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Janky Red

I am a fan of the rich.

Well Beezzer the only problem with the rich here in America is they are creating a self serving system that
Resembles an Oligarchy. This country was in part created to escape the imbalanced wealth system and subsequent tyranny of the Royal system. I think people like you are a HUGE part of the problem, your admiration
makes you blind to the effects of your admiration. Your admiration is only a problem because you vote for people who stack favor for the people who already design the private system on their behalf. These politicians do the stacking because they are inflicted with the same seat of admiration as you describe.

The government is not supposed to be a tool for the private sector ala; oligarchy, fascism, Monarchy, but you seem to think otherwise.

YOUR political bedfellows are the very people who give validity to this statement,

I suggest America would be a better place to live, if conservatives curtailed their staunch admiration for the rich and re-directed it towards the want-to-be rich.

So Beezzar, when America is filled with 3 Trillionaires, 85 Billionaires and 400 million peasants can we thank you and your admiration? Unmitigated, this nation will reach such a state, it is a mathematical certainty at this point,
it can be visualized as sand flowing from an hour glass, but contrary to fairy tale logic, the rich are on the bottom
of the equation.

The writing is on the wall, you actually admitted to the motive, can concede the logical progression of this courtship of admiration?

When MY political party gets into power, then we might see some change. Until then, we'll have to del with YOUR party in power and the problems that they bring with it.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Janky Red

I am a fan of the rich.

of the equation.

When MY political party gets into power, then we might see some change. Until then, we'll have to del with YOUR party in power and the problems that they bring with it.

The problem with "my" political party is they roll over for your political party constantly

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Yes, if there is a market business will try to fill it.

But you are failing to take into account something that is already happening - many of those companies filling the demand are now overseas due to high labor costs in the U.S. (blame the unions and all the government regulations and red tape).

Oh, so all we have to do is to work for 10 cents an hour without benefits and then it will be all great. You can work for a full day and still line up at the food banks at dinnertime.

You must not have noticed that it is impossible to live on the minimum wage now in this country.

I understand that in New York City there is now an underclass that works full time but has to live in the subways.

So you're basically arguing that we should degrade America into a third-world country. Why do I suspect that this idea will be about as popular as abolishing medicare?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join