It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can you help a lady with her: Puppy?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 06:17 AM
link   
This isn't me having a go at you here ok, I'm putting this disclaimer first so you know that.

I know you are a good person silo but who in their right mind puts themselves in a position where help is unavailable, or getting to help is impossible.

Your dog is dying, being poisoned by rat poison is one of the worst ways to go.

What if it was you? Or a child, I don't know if you have children or not but by god, why the hell would you put yourself in a position where you can't go get help??

I'm sorry if you take all this the wrong way and I hope the little pup pulls through but I honestly think you need to change your situation.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 07:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Thanks for the disclaimer - coming from you it wasn't needed but it's appreciated.

About my situation. First, No, I don't have children - it's just me, well, and the pup that I couldn't leave to die on the road - oh heartless beast that I am.

From there I'm really not trying to sound 'uppity' or 'holier than thou' or anything like that - not at all. But you know all those people here on ATS and out and about that claim they want to 'get back to nature' - or - 'change their situation' - 'get out of the rat race' - (we read about them all the time here on the survival forums and political forums) - My point?

I did. I did it. But 'freedome' comes not without it's costs and at times it's a huge HUGE price tag. One at the moment is I'm an outcast pretty much. There's no standing my the roadside and thumbing for a ride with a sick pup under one arm. I'm not complaining, just saying it presents 'difficulties' at times especially when I'm responsible for something else. My chickens or geese - they get sick I can just put them in a stew pot, however I'm not so removed from my past that I will entertain eating my puppy. At least not yet.

Thank you for your post though - and I mean that.

As for 'Lucy' her hind end is still really unstable, and she's incontinent but I've found someone to get some Vit.K (if it can be had) which is great news. Beyond that she's quit dry heaving and seizing and though far from 'out of the woods' she's at least making some progress.

Thanks again.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

I know for a fact you aren't a heartless person, and would do anything for the little pup.

I will admit I didn't know your full situation, I was just a little floored when I thought you didn't give yourself an emergency 'out'.

Glad you've sorted out what you need to help the pup.

if it's any consolidation we had a cat that ate a rat that recently ate rat poison and she pulled through.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Dear Jesus, Divine Physician and Healer of the sick, we turn to you in this time of illness. O dearest comforter of the troubled, alleviate our worry and sorrow with your gentle love, and grant us the grace and strength to accept this burden. Dear God, we place our worries in your hands. We place our sick under your care and humbly ask that you restore your servant to health again. Above all, grant us the grace to acknowledge your will and know that whatever you do, you do for the love of us. Amen.

I know that prayer is intended for humans but I suppose in times of trouble it can be used for our beloved pets as well.

It is not for me to question your decisions because I trust you are a person with a good heart who loves their pet. If there was something more you could do it would be done. So I offer you my prayer and my hope that your beloved friend makes it through alive and healthy.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Silo I'm glad to hear that Lucy is doing a lil better and hope for a full recovery. I can not fathom why anyone would do this . Its beyond evil imo. And , stay safe out there with Etna going off.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
What a precious little baby! I hope things turn out well....PLEASE keep us posted. I just want to cry seeing him doing his little "chores"....then seeing the next pic. Sending him positive loving thoughts....wish I could do more...

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Hi all...
I thought she was doing better (we're into this 24 hours now)... She was drinking broth and walking around some.
Now she's taken a turn the other way again for the worse. She doesn't want to drink, or walk to 'relieve' herself and her temp is up again. It isn't 'parvo' (no stinky poos and blood, none at all) so I've no doubt now it's poison. Now it's therapy to combat the dehydration and a waiting game when it comes right down to it.

Thanks all...

peace

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

It is not for me to question your decisions because I trust you are a person with a good heart who loves their pet. If there was something more you could do it would be done. So I offer you my prayer and my hope that your beloved friend makes it through alive and healthy.

Thank you from my heart, your kindness and understanding does you and ATS proud. You and others like you and Stealthy and Blue here on this thread is the reason I'm still on this site. If there's ever anything I can do to help cheer any of you please never think twice to U2U me and I'll do all I can.

peace

edit on 12-4-2011 by silo13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   
All of the remedies previously mentioned are very good.

Rat poision causes seious de hydration and with the vomiting included I would recommend getting intravenus fluids and fast.The local chemist may have some. They need to be put directly into the blood stream.

Mix ash with water into a soft paste and pump straight down the throat with a syringe.

There is no time to see if the puppy will get better. This is fast acting and very painful. The puppy might seem to get better but the poision will be eating away. Dont stop the treatment for 2-3 days.

I wish you and the puppy the best.

Regards.
edit on 12-4-2011 by Irish Matador because: to add

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Irish Matador

Mix ash with water into a soft paste and pump straight down the throat with a syringe.

This sounds very interesting and something I could easily do. I wonder why it works and what it does because I thought if you mixed ash and water you got potash and that is lye? I would think that would kill her???

I'll check it out on the net and see what I can find.

peace

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

I am talking about a quick emergancy remedy because it has alot of absorbation. You could also use clay with water. We have used it on dogs so I might check for puppies. They are alot more sensitive. I will come back.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Irish Matador

Yes! Clay makes very much sense, thank you! I have heard of using clay, you're right. And I have a lot of wonderful volcanic clay that people spend tons of money on for its cleansing properties.

I'll check it out.

Thank you!

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

www.dogchannel.com...

Better to stick to this advice.

Please be careful of the risk of internal bleeding.

Regards

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   
I remember our dog ate a cooked turkey carcass...(i know that's not poison) He was very very ill...we took him to the vet etc

I remember the vet saying that when it comes to vomiting, dogs are the opposite of people, we stop vomiting when we get better

Riley couldn't hold water down, and the vet said that was ok, and he would be worried if he could???....not sure if that helps (or if it's factual or not)

best of luck

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
sorry to hear about the pooch, egg yolks are one of the few edibles for dogs higher in vitamin K and sounds like you may have plenty available, best of wishes

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
I hope your dog gets better. I love my cats and dog better than I love most people.....My dog had heart worms and I treated her with Pig wormer and she is better now.. The vet would not treat her because they like to do the "FAST" kill which is terrrible on a dogs system. I did the "Slow Kill" with the pig wormer...She is 15 yrs old and would not make it through the fast kill the vet said, but he never told me about the slow kill. I learned it from a old farmer around here.One of my cats was attacked by a wild cat, I live in the country and her leg got infected so I had to carry her to the vet and let him fix her up. She is doing o.k. now....I had to borrow the money to carry her to the vet as I didn't have any myself but I do all I can for animals as they at times can't do for themselves. Maybe you can borrow some money and get her some treatment if things don't turn around soon...If she can make it 3 days she may be out of the woods...Good luck to you and Lucy.....

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   
I read in your OP where you said going to a vet wasn't an option, but I was hoping that since you found someone who could take you to a pharmacy...that just maybe they might be able to help you get in to see a vet. It sounds like you live in a rural area and rural vets are some of the best people I have ever known. Most of them will not even think twice about making a house call. In fact, where I am from, the vets are usually never in the office because they're out in the surrounding areas making house calls.

Most rat poison contains a substance called warfarin, which is a drug that stops the blood's ability to clot, and that's why an animal who eats it will start bleeding internally, because the blood is losing/has lost it's ability to clot. Eventually what it does is cause the animal to bleed out internally.

At this point, over 24 hours after the poisoning, there is really no need to induce vomiting. Whatever was in Lucy's stomach has already been digested into her system, so there will be nothing really to vomit up. If you have access to vitamin K (intravenous is best, but oral is an option if intravenous is not available) this is your best bet. Vitamin K helps to reverse the effects of warfarin and helps to restore the clotting ability of the blood, thus helping to stop the internal hemorrhaging.

Otherwise, it's probably just a wait-and-see situation. The 2nd and 3rd days will be the most critical and by then you should be able to pretty much tell if Lucy is going to be able to survive this. The major deciding factor is going to be exactly how much of the poison that she ate. If it wasn't too much, her body may be able to withstand it and begin repairing itself.

All of my best to you and Lucy.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
This is just so sad!

All my prayers are going out to Lucy.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   
A Prayer For Lucy

Heavenly Father,
Please help us in our time of need,
You have made us stewards of Lucy.
If it is Your will, please restore her
to health and strength.
I pray too for other animals in need.
May they be treated with the care and respect
deserving of all Your creation.
Blessed are You Lord God,
and holy is Your name for ever and ever
Amen.

Whether you are Christian or not, the sentiment is the same....everyone say your version for her. And to those who think it's silly to do all that for an animal....well I just say....ALL life is precious.
edit on 12-4-2011 by StealthyKat because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by silo13
reply to post by dreamingawake

Your post is just fantastic! I'm going to go now and look up info to make sure giving her bicarbonate of soda will not interact with the activated charcoal (she hasn't passed yet) and the hydrogen peroxide.

I hope the pharmacy in the next town will have Vit.K - if she can get over the hump she's in now I bet she's going to need a lot of this.

peace

If you can get to the next town over, get the dog to a vet and stop letting her die. And please stop acting like the victim in the situation when we all give you answers you don't like. Internet prayers don't fix sick dogs, veterinarians do.

This just sounds like animal cruelty to me
edit on 12-4-2011 by Hawking because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join