It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists find way to map brain's complexity

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/24cc41d66812.jpg[/atsimg]

LONDON, Apr. 11, 2011 (Reuters) — Scientists say they have moved a step closer to developing a computer model of the brain after finding a way to map both the connections and functions of nerve cells in the brain together for the first time.

The study is part of an emerging area of neuroscience research known as 'connectomics'. A little like genomics, which maps our genetic make-up, connectomics aims to map the brain's connections, known as synapses.

"We are beginning to untangle the complexity of the brain," said Tom Mrsic-Flogel, who led the study. "Once we understand the function and connectivity of nerve cells spanning different layers of the brain, we can begin to develop a computer simulation of how this remarkable organ works."

John Williams, head of neuroscience and mental health at the Wellcome Trust medical charity, which helped fund the study, said understanding the brain's inner workings was one of science's "ultimate goals."

NewsDaily

edit on 11-4-2011 by Casandra because: Image added

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
The scientists said it was going to be many years before a computer simulation of the workings of the human brain could be accomplished, but they are in the beginning steps of an incredible feat.

Can you imagine what it's going to be like the day science can explain exactly how the brain works? That day we'll be able to say we remember how it all began, by taking images of the brain of a mouse.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   
While we are making progress, I'm convinced that, the intricacies of the brain will never be truly solved.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   
MY BRAIN IS TO COMPLEX TO BE MAPPED

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Casandra

"We are beginning to untangle the complexity of the brain," I think this is where they should have stopped that sentence, because truth be told they are still not accounting for many of the immaterial factors that influence the brains activity. This is why they cannot possibly map a computer simulation that will accurately reflect the inner workings of the brain. Not until they can definitively explain these immaterial 'phenomenons' at least. I hope their passion and intelligence doesn't get in the way of their wisdom and intuition.

You should ask them, "why are there cases where a persons occipital lobe can be severely damaged or removed and still they can regain their vision and process visuals just fine?"

ETA: Thanks for the thread by the way!
edit on 11-4-2011 by LifeIsEnergy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by shatter
MY BRAIN IS TO COMPLEX TO BE MAPPED

My complex is too brainy to be mapped!

(Fixed it for you).

edit on 11/4/2011 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   
So, we're on the path...

Before you know it "Can't fix Stupid" will be all but a fleeting memory.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   
The brain is definitely a complex organ... all of our 'higher' functions built on the foundations of the survival drive of a large multicellular organism. The speed and amount of information exchange is staggering.

"Depending on the type of axon, an action potential can move as fast as 100 meters a second."

"Some cells are capable of producing and recovering from many hundreds of action potentials each second."

-McKim, W. A., Drugs and Behavior, 6th ed.

The number of connections between neurons in the brain is greater than or equal to the amount of cells in the entire human body, according to current estimations.

In order to get accurate models of these rapid and numerous processes, it will take some serious computational power. Regardless, its always nice to see more integration in the pursuit of knowledge.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

Before you know it "Can't fix Stupid" will be all but a fleeting memory.

Or we could make ignorance painful

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by LifeIsEnergy
reply to post by Casandra

"We are beginning to untangle the complexity of the brain," I think this is where they should have stopped that sentence, because truth be told they are still not accounting for many of the immaterial factors that influence the brains activity. This is why they cannot possibly map a computer simulation that will accurately reflect the inner workings of the brain. Not until they can definitively explain these immaterial 'phenomenons' at least. I hope their passion and intelligence doesn't get in the way of their wisdom and intuition.

You should ask them, "why are there cases where a persons occipital lobe can be severely damaged or removed and still they can regain their vision and process visuals just fine?"

ETA: Thanks for the thread by the way!
edit on 11-4-2011 by LifeIsEnergy because: (no reason given)

Well, they said it was just the beginning, that there are still many years to go. Maybe in the future the factors you mention will be accounted for. Like when scientists started mapping the human genome, it took them years. Though I agree with you about how the brain is too complex and it will definitely take them a long time to find out how it works, if at all. (I want to believe they will find the answers some day)

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   
I hope we keep advancing in ways such as this. This will lead to far greater advancements.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by LifeIsEnergy

I was thinking about the issue of human will power myself and wondering how it would be 'modeled'. Its plausible to think that the computer could run a simulation based on brain scans of someone who is adept at meditation and mindfulness.

Its interesting to see how plastic and adaptable the brain can be, most likely because of the mind's partially non-local connection to the brain. Reminds me of the old adage, 'the whole is greater than the sum of its parts'. Seems to be a recurring theme in nature/universe/reality. Just think about life and how we determine and classify what life is and where we draw the line between the living and non-living realm. I can't help but feel that our division of these realms reflects our inability to comprehend the greater picture. What is consciousness? This question is only now begging to get its much needed attention in physics. We won't get better answers until we amalgamate our diverse and specialized understandings. After all, we're all looking at the same phenomenon, just from different angles.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   
i can totally see how this can be the catalyst for a future like "i robot"

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 11:28 PM
link   
I'm guessing this will end up much like when they mapped DNA. It will just show how much is unknown.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by OrganicAnagram33
reply to post by LifeIsEnergy

I was thinking about the issue of human will power myself and wondering how it would be 'modeled'. Its plausible to think that the computer could run a simulation based on brain scans of someone who is adept at meditation and mindfulness.

Its interesting to see how plastic and adaptable the brain can be, most likely because of the mind's partially non-local connection to the brain. Reminds me of the old adage, 'the whole is greater than the sum of its parts'. Seems to be a recurring theme in nature/universe/reality. Just think about life and how we determine and classify what life is and where we draw the line between the living and non-living realm. I can't help but feel that our division of these realms reflects our inability to comprehend the greater picture. What is consciousness? This question is only now begging to get its much needed attention in physics. We won't get better answers until we amalgamate our diverse and specialized understandings. After all, we're all looking at the same phenomenon, just from different angles.

Excellent articulation!

Until we, as a species, except that we are merely a part of a larger whole, and not individualized or separated in any way, shape or form from it, there is no way we can possibly understand it, our relationship with it, or ourselves. Complexity only lays within the human concept of categorical parts, simplicity lays within the absolute whole. I feel as if our ability to categorize and individualize the whole of our environment and reality into 'parts' is meant to help us recognize and understand the common process of life (rising and falling) as a whole and thus redirect and reconnect us with that process, not necessarily define it. It seems arrogance, fear and a strong attachment to the belief of our individual/separate 'self' has held us back from 'reconnecting' with this process and caused us to instead seek to define it, as if it is separate from us. You probably already know/agree with this but your post inspired me to write about it. LOL.

Peace.
edit on 14-4-2011 by LifeIsEnergy because: (no reason given)

top topics

join