It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fukushima now a Level 7 emergency

page: 9
<< 6  7  8   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by 27jd
Even in the worst case, this situation will not be like Chernobyl. But, the mainstream news won't pass up the opportunity to hype it up, and sell boner pills for their sponsors while everybody is glued to the TV waiting for the next shoe to drop...

We have multiple damaged/leaking reactors, with no proper cooling, being constantly rattled by strong aftershocks, with no chance of being fixed for several years at the very least. You're right - this is getting over-hyped

Don't think it could be worse than Chernobyl? You have to remember this is FAR from over - one strong aftershock/tsunami could cause absolute carnage with all those spent fuel rods and MOX fuel sitting there!

Yes, some people are getting carried away - this clearly won't be an "extinction level event". But you're going to the other extreme by playing this down. Time to get real.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Curio

Okay, so what's gonna happen? How will this affect us?

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by 27jd
reply to post by Curio

Okay, so what's gonna happen? How will this affect us?

If things stay as they are and don't get any worse - accumulation levels slowly ticking upwards and the amount of land left uninhabitable increasing by the week until they can remove the material. The effects on the rest of the world nothing much to worry about.

At the other extreme, something bad happens to all that fuel in buildings 4/5 and the plutonium in the MOX fuel - then you would be talking of a massive amount of radiation being released that could far exceed Chernobyl. That isn't just scaremongering - that is coming from "experts" in the industry. If that happens, clearly the world will be affected - just as large parts of Europe were after Chernobyl. To what degree I don't know.

Most of the sensible and balanced discussion is in the monster 650+ page thread in this forum.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Curio

Well, we can only hope it doesn't reach that level. I'm trying to be optimistic, since I've seen so many disasters (while terrible in the general vicinity) that were certain to bring about the end of our civilization just fade away, only to be replaced by another doomsday scenario. Some members here act like children being told there's no Santa when you try and suggest things may not be as bad as many say. I guess only time will tell. I appreciate you not being condescending though, and giving your honest assessment.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by cortex

Cortex, as in cerebral cortex, as in brain, as in you HAVE A BRAIN!

I like it. You are smart and see what is going on too.

Yeah, CLBI stock went up from $6.94 on March 11th and then on the 16th it went up to $8.70. WOW! There's a ton of money to have been made there. Volume was 6 MILLION, you could have dumped however much you wanted and it would have been garaunteed to execute as soon as you left click your mouse.

Too bad I didn't own any. Although I damn near retired at the age of 29 last year when CTIC went from 5 cents to $1.50+ in a couple months. Now I must look into Haliburton and other "fishy" stocks

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Here is some pressure measurements in reactor 1.

ex-skf.blogspot.com...

And this website seems to have a lot of information on it as well.

ex-skf.blogspot.com...
edit on 13-4-2011 by Stringycheeseman because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Curio

We are one mag 8 or greater quake with following tsunami away from the end of life and habitability of Japan and much of that region of the pacific, along with clouds of radiation and radioactive particulates being release and spreading westward across the pacific in lethal doses for thousands of miles...

But, for now, unless nature decides to do the above... Everything is under control, and improving slightly day by day... within a few years the fuel will be removed, and demolitions can commence.

With any luck, of course.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Another recent article suggesting fears are overblown...

JAPAN's stance that the Fukushima nuclear crisis is not comparable to Chernobyl has won the backing of the UN's peak nuclear body.

The International Atomic Energy Agency's deputy director, Denis Flory, supports the Japanese assessment that Fukushima is significantly less catastrophic than the 1986 disaster in the former Soviet Union.

"The Fukushima accident and Chernobyl are very different," he said. "Chernobyl happened when the reactor had power, it was a huge explosion, vapour, power explosion, and then you had a huge graphite fire."

Mr Flory echoed Japan's comments that the Fukushima radiation releases had been less than one-tenth of the total released at Chernobyl.

*snip*

Still, the Chernobyl linkage appeared to rattle some governments. Immediately after the change, The Philippines initiated charter flights to evacuate about 2000 Filipinos living within 100km of the plant. Australia's Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade updated its travel advice on Japan to reflect the re-rating, but described it as a "technical adjustment" that nuclear regulator ARPANSA said would not change the radiological health risk in Tokyo from its "low" level.

The US nuclear regulator said it was not surprised by the re-rating but backed Japan's handling of the crisis. Russia's atomic energy body, Rosatom, said the re-rating was "exaggerated" and the incident had not exceeded level 5. France's nuclear agency backed the view that Fukushima would not become another Chernobyl.
www.theaustralian.com.au...

edit on 13-4-2011 by 27jd because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   
www.youtube.com... Never fear japan has it all under control watch this great bit of Information a i feel alot better about the situation now

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   
that youtube above..words fail me.........

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Well...you know...all the countries have to protect the stock markets from taking another huge dive from panic. It's in their own economic interest to lie to the sheeple....I mean, we're still on fragile ground trying to keep these markets afloat...

research100... LOL!!!

edit on 14-4-2011 by RoyalBlue because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 6  7  8   >>

join