It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Has Revenge Suddenly Become Good?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   
I noticed something in the past few years.

Americans and their Western counterparts want to kick Arab ass because it is their belief that Arabs killed many Americans (and Europeans).

This thirst for revenge has put many presidents like Bush into leadership.

I remember the Christian motto of forgiving and loving thy neighbor, so why don't Americans follow it?

Why is it that Westerners think that is alright to kill hundreds of thousands of Arabs?

Why is it that Westerners think that it is NOT alright for other peoples to take revenge?

Why is it wrong for blacks to hate whites?

Why is it that every time I bring up Germany, people (who still hates Communists and terrorists) want to convince me that the Germans have changed?

Why is it that every time I complain about the lack of coverage of Japan's brutal reign over Asia, Americans call me ignorant, arrogant, and a whole bunch of other #? 2/3 of my family tree and tens of millions of others were wiped out by the Japanese.

What allows Westerners to colonize and kill people through out the world when NOTHING has happened to them?

So why is it that it is alright for Westerners to make up all the damn rules for morality and ethics of this world?

What on earth has happened to rational explanations?
edit on 4/11/2011 by die_another_day because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
I don't think revenge has become good, per say.

But I'd rather seek vengeance on those that deserve it, then idly standing by.
But I can't speak for the world, only myself.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   
That's a huge generalization!
I personally believe that revenge is frowned upon and the Arabs are just a Western scapegoat and an easy profile to stick the blame on. Plus since most of us will never visit the Middle East, we draw conclusions of a culture by how the media perceives them and makes them out to be.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   
I know I seek no revenge. I seek freedom and forgiveness all.

And a rich life of opportunity for all. (See the threads that deal with Entropy and Ethical in my sig.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Why not, i'll bite.

Originally posted by die_another_day

Americans and their Western counterparts want to kick Arab ass because it is their belief that Arabs killed many Americans (and Europeans).

Nope not me, did some arabs kill Americans? other than the ones who are illegally over there of course.

This thirst for revenge has put many presidents like Bush into leadership.

Ummmm no! running against a sissy was what got bush into office.

I remember the Christian motto of forgiving and loving thy neighbor, so why don't Americans follow it?

I am no christian so i do not forgive or forget i can love my neghbor though...as long as i don't get caught.

Why is it that Westerners think that is alright to kill hundreds of thousands of Arabs?

I don't personally and i am sure there are many like me who don't.

Why is it that Westerners think that it is NOT alright for other peoples to take revenge?

Revenge is fine as long as you get the sob that deserves it.

Why is it wrong for blacks to hate whites?

Why should a black man hate a white man? did something happen?

Why is it that every time I bring up Germany, people (who still hates Communists and terrorists) want to convince me that the Germans have changed?

The Germans have not changed other than being beaten down by a decades old lie that said they were evil.

Why is it that every time I complain about the lack of coverage of Japan's brutal reign over Asia, Americans call me ignorant, arrogant, and a whole bunch of other #? 2/3 of my family tree and tens of millions of others were wiped out by the Japanese.

Did the Japanese do something to you personally? Did you ever meet any of these 2/3 of your relatives that were killed?

What allows Westerners to colonize and kill people through out the world when NOTHING has happened to them?

Evil politicians and corporations, and complacent landless peasants.

So why is it that it is alright for Westerners to make up all the damn rules for morality and ethics of this world?

Because people follow and do not think for themselves.

What on earth has happened to rational explanations?

I hope these were rational enough.
Peace.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Ok back from shower...

I'm not saying everyone of course. There are always open-minded people like those here on ATS. Sorry if you guys got offended.

I'm just saying that you guys were able to vote (voting is a relatively good representation of the population) into office a bunch of war mongerers and didn't do anything about it. As if you were fine with what was happening.

Also, pleaaaase read books like the White Man's Burden before you say that Western nations do not set different standards for different people. We're mostly raised to think this way or that way. It is only later in life that we're able to change.

To the poster above saying what the "Japanese people have done to me,"

I want to say. Nothing. And Asian countries are doing nothing to Japan when they are fully capable of doing so.

And that's the whole point.

What man-made catastrophe has ever happened to the West that is comparable to what happened in other countries?

So why is it, that there is so much hate and vowing for revenge here that people must resort to War?

And I think it's partially the responsibility of the elite, but there is a strong psychological factor involved.
edit on 4/11/2011 by die_another_day because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by die_another_day

It's never been considered a "bad" thing for many people.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Good question die_another_day, I was thinking the exact same thing last weekend.

Saturday some guy randomly killed a bunch of people in a shopping mall here in the Netherlands and than continued to take his own life. People were shocked and outraged. But with the perpetrator being dead, people were deprived of their chance to take revenge.

The shock of such a horrible crime demands that we do something with it or else it will remain in our active memory (for instance: where were you when the planes struck the WTC?). We need "closure" when we're traumatized and revenge facilitates in this need.

So to say that revenge is "bad" makes no sense, it's the logical reaction of a higher functioning brain. It's how we act on those feelings of revenge that define whether it is "good" or "bad".

Peace

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 02:21 AM
link   
It hasn't just "suddenly" become good, people have always had twisted views on it and felt it was their right to deal out punishment rather than leaving it up to god, as if they are without fault.

I really wish American Christians, many of whom have supported wars in the past, whether it was revenge for pearl harbor or something more recent like 9/11 to keep the bible in mind....

If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other also. If someone takes your cloak, do not stop him from taking your tunic.

Of course this applies to all who claim to follow the bible, I'm not just singling out americans its just that is in keeping with the topic and others comments. Another big one I can't get my head around is Christians who own guns and are prepared to use them for "protection". It should make anyone ashamed to be christian but its just accepted as normal. I think its a form of "cognitive dissonance".

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind" - Gandhi

edit on 12-4-2011 by polarwarrior because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Nothing has happened to them?

Really?

World War I

World War II

An immense communist dictatorship, oppressing half of Europe, and all of Northern Asia.

Before that, oppression in various forms that literally forced huge migrations to the New World.

And today, no place left to run.

Nah, nothing has happened to "Westerners"...

JR

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   

So why is it, that there is so much hate and vowing for revenge here that people must resort to War?

Why is easier to accept we are a benevolent species rather then a race of conquerors and warriors?
Look at our history, generally societies are ruled by corruption, war, hostile succession, diplomacy not unlike what we are seeing in Libya right now.
Maybe we are genetically disposed to be more violent then benevolent?

"It's just murder. All God's creatures do it. You look in the forests and you see species killing other species, our species killing all species including the forests, and we just call it industry, not murder." - Natural Born Killers

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 02:15 AM
link   
It isnt good. Two wrongs dont make a right. Yet the USA does it everytime.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 02:31 AM
link   

Most arabs are muslims who dont accept Jesus as their savior, that is why muslims murder children in their sleep. Maybe its just that I am a real American but anyone of those arabs could be another Bin laden and we cant let them come over here and continue too slaughter thousands of American women and Children like they did on 9-11. Looking at the facts, it says in the bible that Jesus died for our sins, and muslims who live in darkness cant see the light of christ so they develop an unquenchable blood lust to kill Americans for being the best race on earth because they hate freedom in the middle east. Not one country in the middle east has a leader who will come out and say Mohammed is a false prophet and that Jesus is the only way and the light. Until they do I think we need to fight them over there instead of over here.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 02:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by CoincidenceX
That's a huge generalization!
I personally believe that revenge is frowned upon and the Arabs are just a Western scapegoat and an easy profile to stick the blame on. Plus since most of us will never visit the Middle East, we draw conclusions of a culture by how the media perceives them and makes them out to be.

I would agree with that.
Star 4 u

this is called population programming
through the media. the unsuspecting
public will most times believe what BS
is fed to them in the dark. There a few
of us left than can decipher the BS

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 02:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by tigpoppa
so they develop an unquenchable blood lust to kill Americans for being the best race on earth

ummmm
Americans became a race
and didn't tell me???
I thought it was a nationality,
maybe I'm wrong

new topics

top topics

join