It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gas Prices Climbing Toward $5 Per Gallon

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   
I have a question. Why do they even continue producing premium and higher tha 87 Octane gasoline? Seems like it would ease some if they would knock it off. Kind of a sales gimmick anyway.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by murphy22

Well higher octane fuels are needed in certain engines because of pre-detonation that lower octane fuels would cause to them, mainly high compression engines thats when your piston is still on its upstroke and your fuel ignites before the piston can go on its downstroke creating stess on things not meant to be stressed. Lower octane fuel burns more rapidly than higher octane fuel putting low grade gas into a high compression performance motor usually isn't advised. Putting 94 octane in the family grocery go getter will only do more damage to your wallet than anything, you'll actually lose performance since just about every factory vehicle is designed to run on 87 octane with exception to Corvette, Viper, etc. I think they are designed to run 91 octane or higher.
edit on 11/4/11 by Aliensdoexist because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   
stop with the peak oil

there is enough oil on the north slop CAPPED to bring the drive in North America down to below 50 USD a barrel...
yer lil buddies BP alone, has enough oil up there to do that themselves.
let alone the other companies...
then there is the bakun field
200 years at twenty bucks a barrel?
for America
nope you can't have it.

the reason for all the wars is to STOP oil production
in order to drive up the price relative to demand.
as witnessed by the admission recently it was US special forces
and NOT Saddam that blew up all the Iraqi oil wells.
edit on 11-4-2011 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   
At $5/g gas .... the "recovery" will die. Instantly.

The gov knows this.. they should fear this.. and they show no signs of giving a rats ass.. If the Dollar keeps falling (the real reason gas is expensive, has NOTHING TO DO WITH LIBYA which gives the US under 2% of its oil, and Saudi Arabia increased production to cover Libya) inflation will ignite a massive economic collapse by this October.

The economy collapsed at $150/bb in 2008. It will probably collapse before then.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Aliensdoexist

" What you are seeing is the results of Peak Oil prices will only continue to rise because to increase output oil will need to be extracted in very hard to reach places and cost a lot of money and recources just to be able to extract it. Get used to the prices because its only gonna keep rising. "

PEAK Oil Is a Myth . In the Territory of The United States ALONE , there are abound 5 TRILLION Barrels of Oil Underground and Under U.S. Waters . About 2 TRILLION Barrels of that Oil is of the Sweet Crude Variety . Don't Believe that ? Well , do some research on the Subject and Find Out ..... It Never ceases to Amaze me how People Believe the Propaganda that they are Force Fed every day..........

P.S. Oh by the way , ALIENS Don't Exist , if you Happen to Believe Otherwise , then show me some Factual PROOF that they do .........

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Wow this should kill the economy in no time. F-em I'm buying a bicycle. F- the insurance F- the plates and F-the gas. 3/4 of my monthly pay is going just to drive. I'll just move somewhere stratigically where I can get everything I need within walking distance.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   
I'm wondering what the hold up is in recovering some of the reserves we have here in the states? The Bakken reserves alone are enough to bring prices down to a point where both the consumer and distributors will both save and make money. Yes, we can have it both ways.

$4.79 here in Maui... I know, poor Undertaker.

edit on 11-4-2011 by The Undertaker because: to add

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   
I just filled up my truck and it took $115.00 usd. WOW that sucked. While I was filling up I seen a guy beside me that had a bumper sicker that said gas was $1.50 when Bush took office. I just looked at my wife and laughed...

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by skeet

Haha.. I already sound like an old man saying "When I learned to drive gas was only $1.10/g and with the membership card often .90-1.00"

Sadly.......

I'm only 25

I could fill my car up for $18
I filled my truck up today for $83

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

then i have one foot in the grave!
)))))

I can remember filling up my first car at 89 cents a gallon! I think I could fill up my old fiero for 10 bucks..

my first car:

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zanti Misfit

" What you are seeing is the results of Peak Oil prices will only continue to rise because to increase output oil will need to be extracted in very hard to reach places and cost a lot of money and recources just to be able to extract it. Get used to the prices because its only gonna keep rising. "

PEAK Oil Is a Myth . In the Territory of The United States ALONE , there are abound 5 TRILLION Barrels of Oil Underground and Under U.S. Waters . About 2 TRILLION Barrels of that Oil is of the Sweet Crude Variety . Don't Believe that ? Well , do some research on the Subject and Find Out ..... It Never ceases to Amaze me how People Believe the Propaganda that they are Force Fed every day..........

P.S. Oh by the way , ALIENS Don't Exist , if you Happen to Believe Otherwise , then show me some Factual PROOF that they do .........

If your ignorant enought to believe that this planet is the only planet that can support intelligent life in the billions of other planets in this galaxy and the nearly infinite number of planets in all the other galaxies in the visible universe than you are a fool stick to the topic of the thread instead of attacking what people chose as their screename, its a freaking screename there's thousands of weird screenames on this website incase you haven't noticed step out of your mothers basement and get a life maybe a job too its a great feeling making your own money instead of having to sponge off your mother your whole life.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by skeet
I just filled up my truck and it took $115.00 usd. WOW that sucked. While I was filling up I seen a guy beside me that had a bumper sicker that said gas was $1.50 when Bush took office. I just looked at my wife and laughed...
In 1994 it was $0.99 a gallon. In 2000 gas hit $1.60 a gallon and people freaked. The conservatives were screeming for Clinton to tap the reserves. Gas dropped by 2001 to $1.50 a gallon. In 2004 gas was over $4 a gallon. I didn't hear one word out of the right wing to tap the reserve.

Personally I hope it kills the economy. I have nothing to loose but the billionairs on the other hand do. I want to see them burn .
:fl ame:
:flame :
:f lame:
:flam e:

edit on 12-4-2011 by wantsome because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   
post by wantsom

Are you serious? I remimber when the conservatives called for Clinton to tap the oil reserves and guess what he did, but he shipped it all overseas. Gas prices did not go down under clinton. When you say gas prices was over $4.00 a gallon in 2004, really are you in the US because where im at, it didn't go that high. Look at gas price history
edit on 12-4-2011 by skeet because: Problems with link

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   

So , do you Still Believe in the Peak Oil Myth ? By the way , I was just kidding you about Aliens , lighten up ET ..........

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Zanti Misfit

Sorry for my heated response, its been one of those days.

I'm not 100% sure that's what is causing the price's we're paying at the pumps but the little bit that I've read about it, it seemed like it made enough sense to me that it could at the very least be partially true. My interests aren't really into the oil industry just started rooting around a bit on the internet to find out why prices were getting so high and came across an article on "Peak Oil", then a few days later was checking my Netflix to see what shows were on that i could stream and there was a documentary on "Peak Oil", and it made enough sense for me to believe that it could be the cause of the current gas prices. Sure it could be totally wrong but it's the best theory that i've heard with the little time that i've spent on the subject, so until I hear something thats more believable to me then I guess I'll stick on the "Peak Oil" bandwagon, lol.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 12:15 AM
link   
ADE
its Ok we all are tryin to suss it out
I'll agree to aliens
peak oil ..no dinos 5 miles down where the deep water horizon was drilling IMHO

nessesity is the mother of invention....
when the pressure is on..and I believe that it is and rising
people will come up with stuff

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Whereweheaded

Too bad for them.

They should have gotten the hint back in 2008 instead of continuing to drive such monstrosities.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   
reply to post by wantsome

It was most certainly NOT over $4 a gallon in 2004!

Which pundit told you THAT?

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 12:40 AM
link   
A Saudi prince has said the price of oil is going up to 200 - 300 dollars a barrel. He should know.

If that happens we are talking about 8-12 dollars a gallon.

The price is really 100% market driven - and the market is really not that rational anymore. There is tons of supply of oil right now yet the price is moving higher. This is because smart investors are using oil as a hedge against dollar devaluation. It's not just oil moving higher it's all commodities, food, cotton, gold, silver are all spiking higher for the same reasons. It has nothing to do with peak oil - this is all about investors trying to protect themselves from continued currency devaluation.

That's why April 27th will be a key day, Bernanke is going to talk to the press and most likely either announce QE3 or a raise in interest rates. If he announce QE3 I would expect the price of oil to rocket higher. If he announces a raise in interest rates, oil will probably fall, but the economy will begin to worsen immediately - but it is the right choice for the long run, which is exactly why I think he will announce QE3.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join