It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hundreds of students in a local school district to me protest cuts

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
www.star-telegram.com...

FORT WORTH — Hundreds of Timber Creek High School students staged a peaceful protest this morning in support of teachers who recently received termination notices because of budget cuts.

Students staged a sit-in outside the front door of the school, chanting "save our teachers," as a few students used a megaphone to address the crowd.

About 120 teachers on probationary contracts received notice last week that their contracts would be terminated. District officials have said they expect to hire back about 75 percent of those teachers. But if voters do not OK the tax-rate increase, those teachers would likely be laid off again, officials have said

About 200 kids left campus and marched along Timberview Boulevard and Keller-Hicks Road on their way to the Keller Education Center, about four miles away. While some students drove and others caught rides with parents, most of them walked all the way. They met for about 30 minutes with Superitendent James Veitenheimer.

I decided to post this because this school district is pretty close to me. I believe there have already been other protests staged by students at other school districts around Texas.

The article says that 17 teachers will be let go in just Timber Creek Highschool, while 120 have been temporarily laid off in the school district. A majority of the 120 that were laid off are expected to get their jobs back if the voters agree to the tax increase.

Bigger class sizes now? Will the voters vote yes for the tax increase? Im not sure.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
There are no protests staged by students. The principal should be fired also for allowing that kind of crap.

What crap you ask? Allowing the teachers to EXPLOIT the students.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
They don't pay taxes yet..........

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Analyze76

There are no protests staged by students.

I have been thinking about that. When I was in highschool, I absolutely hated going to school. There was maybe 1 or 2 teachers I actually liked.

It has been awhile so times may have changed. Maybe the students really do care about their teachers? Or, the teachers could have told the students to do this? Im not sure.

For me, I would do almost anything to get a day off of school, but that was awhile ago.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
The kids could give a spit, they marched because it got them out of class.
All school districts are laying folks off, there is a reason for this.
Some folks say public schools are the foundation of our country's greatness.
You seeing the picture i'm painting here?

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by g146541

im sorry but your wrong, i was one of the students in that walk. i cant speak for other students opinions, but what we did this morning was try to get our voices heard, and it did. yes theres consequences for our action, but thats is a small price to pay to try to keep our teachers. with all these lay offs, classrooms will get crammed with students. maybe up 40, and with that many students and one teacher in a class how hard do you think it'll be to learn. there would be less one on one time with teachers, and paying attention could get harder because theres so many more distractions.

we DO care about our teachers.
and were going to save our teachers "step by step"

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by zachnuvo
reply to post by g146541

im sorry but your wrong, i was one of the students in that walk. i cant speak for other students opinions, but what we did this morning was try to get our voices heard, and it did. yes theres consequences for our action, but thats is a small price to pay to try to keep our teachers. with all these lay offs, classrooms will get crammed with students. maybe up 40, and with that many students and one teacher in a class how hard do you think it'll be to learn. there would be less one on one time with teachers, and paying attention could get harder because theres so many more distractions.

we DO care about our teachers.
and were going to save our teachers "step by step"

Yup.........and Obamas dad was a US citizen

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   
oh?... and were the future of this country. are you saying you would rather have poorly educated student be the next generation of todays society.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

Bigger class sizes now? Will the voters vote yes for the tax increase? Im not sure.

Sounds like extortion to me; give us your money or we'll cram more of your kids into bigger classes.

Gotta love how they're holding the children hostage to pay for their irresponsibility. They need to learn to live within their means like everyone else today.

You can't get blood from a stone. I hope the people where you live don't give in to these tactics.

top topics

join