It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First person in the world that has been born with an extra strand of DNA

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Well since I am not a medical expert I do not really have much to say about this article for now , I just thought this will be interesting to some of You

Here is the link to the full article : www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Thill

I immediately smell a big stink

The chances of this child being born with 'an extra DNA strand' AND of that being discovered are billions to one, no matter HOW they try to spin it as the result of doctors conducting tests on alleged other conditions in the child

It's the proverbial needle in haystack of science

and I do not believe the discovery was random

Instead, I'm remembering a news report of recently, in which the same newspaper (term used lightly) reported that soon, children will have THREE PARENTS

remember that ?

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Amazing hope the lil guy is ok and will develope better in time. Interesting find S&F
Op I missed his birth location.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Dock9

3 parents?

Enlighten me. How does that work out biologically?!

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Dock9

The reason they discovered his abnormality is because it caused him to have numerous health problems.

In the course of diagnosing what was wrong with him, they discovered the extra DNA strand which is probably the source of all his problems.

This just goes to show that evolution in this manner will not produce a superior species, it only created problems which threaten the life of the one with the mutations.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

Evolution in this manner?!

Why do I keep hearing things that don't seem to make any sense?!

It doesn't seem to show anything of the sort. It shows that the exact changes are incompatible in this particular instance. No more!

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
The title of the article is very misleading. He is the first to be born with this condition. Or at least born and survived with this condition. We have many other instances of extra chromosomes and the like. For example Down syndrome is caused by the presence of an extra 21st chromosome.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Thill

That's what happens when you're doing shrooms and weed when you're pregnant, and as far as I know it's not a first nor uncommon and does have a name extra chromosome=down's syndrome and it happens when people are heavy drug users while pregnant.
edit on 11-4-2011 by ldyserenity because: spelling

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Dock9

Well since I do not have an extended background in medical science (only hobby type info
I do not know the odd of finding a 3rd DNA strand but even if it is a " proverbial needle in haystack of science " , that does not mean it is impossible .

Remember a lot of breakthroughs (I would say the majority of them) happened by chance .

From what I understand from the article , they happened to find the additional DNA strand because of all the extensive testing that they had to perform on that poor child in order to figure out what was wrong with him.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by ldyserenity
reply to post by Thill

That's what happens when you're doing shrooms and weed when you're pregnant, and as far as I know it's not a first nor uncommon and does have a name extra chromosome=down's syndrome and it happens when people are heavy drug users while pregnant.

I don't know , I would think that medical experts/doctors know the difference between something so common as the downs syndrome and something other . I might be wrong , but I think this is not a case of just another chromosome.

Article quote
They revealed his seventh chromosome had an 'extra arm' which has never been documented anywhere in the world before.

edit on 11/4/11 by Thill because: Added quote from article

edit on 11/4/11 by Thill because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

I hate to imagine !

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

More with the bizarre reasoning, OMFG!

The incidences may rise from abusing hard drugs, but surely your not trying to give off the impression that all, or even most down syndrome comes from the parents being heavy drug users, are you

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Thill

It may not be exactly that, because it is a different chromosome, but still not that rare, as one poster already stated. It's probably something stupid dr's in the past have labeled "Down's Syndrome" is more what I am thinking the dna strand was found whatever but on the wrong chromosome, but the doc's probably read it as being the 21st you know what I mean? The symptoms all seem to be very similar, and this is coming from someone whose worked with down's syndrome clients in a residential facility, so I know some of this stuff, I also know medicine tech is a lot more precise than 50 years ago, so it could be they just missed this and passed it off as Down's, just a guess. The cause is still the same though, drug usage, and some times inbreeding, but majority of the time it's drug use. Oh and sometimes it can be alcohol. Even worse still sometimes it can be caused in the workplace, most often chemical areas like agricultural, or pharmaceutical,etc.
edit on 11-4-2011 by ldyserenity because: add

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   
I love how the article and the story headline contradict each other.

"First person in the world that has been born with an extra strand of DNA"

two-year-old boy has become the only person in the world to be diagnosed with an extra strand in his DNA

Link
Title indicates fact. Opening sentance states diagnosed. I state this to make a point. Most likely this isn't the first, just the first time it has been noticed by civilian doctors.
At first I wondered if it was an opening plot to an X Men trailer and we would see a new generation of super heros born. However the more I read on my heart felt for that child. What the parents must be going through watching there child struggle to survive because of a genetic defect. At least I am asuming it's a defect, considering all of the major health issues.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

I see where You are coming from and I guess since You seem to have more knowledge in this field I will not argue about it
One thing I will argue about is the stated cause being drugs or inbreeding. I would say that besides those two I would add a third that is probably a major contributor to defects and that would be genetically modified food. I guess if this is a new discovery it will get more attention in the future, if it is a case of mislabeled downs syndrome then I guess it will just fade .

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   

reply to post by Thill

Lol what? Marijuana is hardly a hard drug. And shrooms?

Link? Studies?
edit on 11-4-2011 by heyJude because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by heyJude

Who is to say that using drugs such as weed and shrooms isnt helping our evolution hence why this kid has the extra dna strand?

Whos to saythese drugs arnt here to help us improve and evolve, many people have been enlightened through the use of such drugs, yes there are bad experiences aswell, but isnt that the same fact for life itself?

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   

reply to post by Thill

are you nsaying weed and shrooms cause down syndrome?? Please provide documentation of the ill effects of both of those plants upon pregnancy, along with the documentation that real women and their fetii have suffered any side effects of the usage thanks.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   
The article is misleading or incomplete at best. Three strands of DNA? I would need an explanation on how you can make a helix or similar shape with that. With the same base pairs...

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Free4Ever2

What?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join