It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Electric Yellowstone: Conductivity image hints volcano plume is bigger than thought

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   
I don't want to sound like an idiot here, but if they open holes and release gases,the pressure will be less and also the posibilities of yellowstone erupting?

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
reply to post by SusanFrey

Susan, check your PM's, sent you a note.

Well no doubt the naysayers will call us "gas huggers" now.

They'll claim that the wells are only 4 to 5 km deep, and that horizontal drilling can be done without any harm. And of course, they'll sell that to whoever stands to make a buck.

I don't see HOW they can know what's what down there. It is so fractured and unpredictable due to magma and hydrothermal features, of all places on the planet it would be probably the easiest to make a mistake.

Ha mistake. Yeah right mistake. That wouldn't even be classified as a mistake anymore if they literally royally screwed up and gave that kind of bomb an outlet to the top. It would be called gross criminal negligence that could cost untold amounts of lives and catastrophic destruction.

Depopulation with mother nature as ultimate scapegoat

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by kro32

Here is another link about drilling and what happened.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by bekod
yes that is right en.wikipedia.org... listen to the pros they know that it will never blow, just remembering what some usgs expert had to say be for Mt St Helens blew "it will never happen" and well it did.

The people that work at nuclear plants think their experts also, we know that "expert" only means you went to college. You can be classified an "expert" and still be completely wrong...

Listen to the pros they know it will never happen? that sounds like something our president would say to shut everyone up..

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by kro32

What risk are you referring too?. Your acting like all the magma is under immense pressure only being held back by the rock and that if we drill into it an explosion will occur.

no i'm not, i am acting like experts telling us things in the past that they ended up be completely wrong about, i am acting like so called scientists claiming they know it all only to be left scratching their heads and having to go back to the drawing board to rethink things.

i am acting like if something were to go wrong there are no second chances. like i said before, did'nt they know what they were doing when they were drilling the gulf of mexico? oh but look what happened. it proves knowing things does not prevent accidents.
edit on 12-4-2011 by lifeform11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by kro32

this is just some of the bickering that went on as to how and why no one was evacuated but some choose to stay www.riverdeep.net... so if we see the same activity at Yellowstone that is if the web site is up then we will all know, from the link

In the two months preceding the historic explosion on May 18, 1980, more than 10,000 mostly small earthquakes had rumbled beneath the mountain. Such seismic activity usually precedes a volcanic eruption. But even the experts did not predict that a final large earthquake, measuring 5.1 on the Richter scale, would so suddenly set off the largest volcanic eruption in the continental United States in more than a century.

"The scenarios of what was going to happen were all over the map," says Steve Malone, a geophysicist for the Pacific Northwest Seismic Network at the University of Washington. "It varied all the way from 'It could all die out and nothing would occur' to 'It would be a massive, explosive eruption' to 'It could be a landslide and a small blast.' Of course on May 18, the worst-case scenarios that had been developed up to that point were exceeded."

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
I don't know looking at the imagery, the earlier one looks much bigger.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   
This world needs a huge disaster. I don't mean to sound like someone who likes doom and gloom but at the rate we are going this world is going down the toilet. We need something BIG to shake us out of this ignorant slumber. We need someone to screw up so bad that the world unites for the greater good. What we are doing now is destroying the Earth in small parts which get covered up easily. If something like a super volcano were to erupt because of an experts stupidity that would at least, and I am hopeful here, tell us to wake up!

One thing that is cool is that volcano's do seem to be electric in a sense. I am just wondering is it because of their conductivity?

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by bekod
reply to post by kro32

this is just some of the bickering that went on as to how and why no one was evacuated but some choose to stay www.riverdeep.net... so if we see the same activity at Yellowstone that is if the web site is up then we will all know, from the link

In the two months preceding the historic explosion on May 18, 1980, more than 10,000 mostly small earthquakes had rumbled beneath the mountain. Such seismic activity usually precedes a volcanic eruption. But even the experts did not predict that a final large earthquake, measuring 5.1 on the Richter scale, would so suddenly set off the largest volcanic eruption in the continental United States in more than a century.

"The scenarios of what was going to happen were all over the map," says Steve Malone, a geophysicist for the Pacific Northwest Seismic Network at the University of Washington. "It varied all the way from 'It could all die out and nothing would occur' to 'It would be a massive, explosive eruption' to 'It could be a landslide and a small blast.' Of course on May 18, the worst-case scenarios that had been developed up to that point were exceeded."

The earthquake WAS NOT THE CAUSE OF THE ERUPTION but rather an effect. Of course, exact numbers are never going to be known regarding size of blast, amount of magma/lava being released or the ultimate destruction know. However it was known that the eruption was immenent. It had absolutely nothing to do whatsoever with drilling.

I will repeat. Earthquakes do not cause volcanic eruptions...ever.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Orygun
The danger with drilling is comparable to opening a champagne bottle. If you let the gas erupt, you have a big plume of drink all over the place. If you can open the bottle carefully, no mess. When gas starts escaping it causes more gas to escape in an escalation. So a minor drilling might be nothing. On the other hand if they stir things up and trapped gas starts leaving the magma, then maybe you won't need to pay your mortgage next month, if you aren't buried under the ash. Of course, opinions on that vary, but that was the theory I heard.

Trapped gas doesn't leave the magma, in the case of yellowstone due to the viscosity of it. Think bubbles in a shampoo bottle, it does bring the magma to the surface with it. Until there is enough gas present under enough pressure you will be unable to effect it.

Inject some volatile gas into a bottle of shampoo than puncture the bottle with a hole. Are you going to get an explosion? NO

Now place a heavy weight on top of the bottle, inject more and more of the volatile gas until the point of bursting, and puncture it again. What happens?

Drilling 1000 holes all over yellowstone park will have 0 effect on the caldera. It will not erupt until the sufficient means to do so are present.

They thought Long Valley Caldera in California was close to erupting in the 1980's due to the frequency of earthquakes and a groundswell of nearly 18 inches, but it turned out to be a false alarm. Yellowstone could expect ground swells of 100 ft. or more before an eruption is immenent and I'd say drilling at that point would be foolish but right now it's irrelevant.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Equinox99
This world needs a huge disaster. I don't mean to sound like someone who likes doom and gloom but at the rate we are going this world is going down the toilet. We need something BIG to shake us out of this ignorant slumber. We need someone to screw up so bad that the world unites for the greater good. What we are doing now is destroying the Earth in small parts which get covered up easily. If something like a super volcano were to erupt because of an experts stupidity that would at least, and I am hopeful here, tell us to wake up!

One thing that is cool is that volcano's do seem to be electric in a sense. I am just wondering is it because of their conductivity?

Are you kidding me? Too many people would die. I get what you are saying, but surely there has to be a better way to "wake us up" than a volcano erupting causing mass destruction all over the planet!

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Very interesting read. I wonder if this has any connection whatsoever to the strange rumbling sounds heard across the US

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   
each time they do a scann it looks bigger!! eek!
they should do the first scann again
to see if it IS any bigger.
how soon they forget the gulf.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Of all the places to drill. You would think they were trying to kill us...

Oh wait they are. I am starting to think they are staging the apocalypse, to thin out the population. It makes sense to hit the U.S since they are now losing control here. Chinese are now easier to control, So I guess they are saying "we dont need you anymore". I can't believe word on this isn't out.

If only more people knew this.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Well hell, let drill! Could be unheard of mineral deposits down there! I wonder how much a used rig would cost!
edit on 12-4-2011 by Donkey_Dean because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phantom traveller
I don't want to sound like an idiot here, but if they open holes and release gases,the pressure will be less and also the posibilities of yellowstone erupting?

To put it as simply as I can,.
try to let out a little air of a balloon with a pin.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Equinox99

A good quote for this topic:
At 45degrees the sky will burn
immediately huge flames will leap up
fire to approach the great new city
they'll want proof from the normans

Yellowstone sits at 44.5 degrees
Due to the composition of elements in the Yellowstone plume, (high concentrations of molten volitile gases hydrogen, helium, oxygen= less dense elements rise to the top), the blast after the eruption would level most of the states surrounding YS, the intense heat of the ash cloud would incinerate the rest as it made its way across the US,
The ash would cover and kill the M.ain A.gricultural B.asin of the U.nited S.tates. US troops around the wolrd will be routed back to the US to deal with the disaster.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by kro32
Until there is enough gas present under enough pressure you will be unable to effect it.

Ok, you done?

I've let you get it all out in the open, and debunk till your heart's content.

Now how is it you miss the simple concern that drilling holes down deep into the crust may aggravate an already precarious situation in that it could provide a conduit for WATER to get down into the magma chamber prematurely? That is a primary mechanism of volcanoes, when water contacts magma, creating evaporation and steam, which then builds up to tremendous pressure.

That pressure then forces upward, fracturing the rock above it, and creates pathways for magma flow to the top. Are you not studied on Yellowstone? Do you not understand that they occasionally have hydrothermal explosions there? One of them was so big it literally extinguished a geyser. Poof.

And talk about the conditions have to be ripe? Yeah they do. And I'd say the vast uplift that was observed not long ago would indicate there is plenty of pressure down there already.

Now why tempt fate at the expense of the rest of us? NO FRICKEN DRILLING ANYWHERE NEAR YELLOWSTONE. PERIOD.

I will now go into Voodoo mode and cast a spell.

"Oh dark forces of eruptions, volcano Gods, and Magma Kings: may the most terrible of deaths befall any and ALL who seek to disrupt the delicate balance of stability you have carefully crafted in one of the most incredible places on Earth: Yellowstone National Park in Wyoming, USA. Kill them if they drill. Kill them if they drill. Kill them if they drill. And please spare the innocent. I hereby input this into the cosmos with every ounce of my being."

I'd say Amen, but not so sure that would apply here.

So go ahead. Drill and die.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

TA, I would give you 100 stars for that post if I could!!!!!!!

kro32 - you are absolutely entitled to your opinions... however... if you want to be looked at with respect and have your posts taken seriously, try some real research and backup your statements with facts & links.

TA is a proven, educated member here who does exactly that. Backs up his statements with facts. He also shares his opinions, which are also back with education and research.

Like I said, you are entitled to your opinions and to share them. But coming into a thread like this one, spouting off as you have claiming you know all about Yellowstone is a dangerous game. Not even the scientists who have studied it for decades know everything about it. As recent knews has shown.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 03:22 AM
link   
Theyre prepping it for when Comet Elenin passes. Then blame the comet when they're the ones causing the damage and killing everyone...OR maybe The comet is doing something given the 3 previous alignments have matched earthquakes and they expected Madrid to go on March 11, but Japan went. Maybe they're trying to set off the volcano before the comet gets here so the damage might not be so bad....The lists keep going when the mind can wander and wonder.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join