It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wikileaks and Bradely Manning - 'The Forgotten Man'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 05:42 AM
link   
Good Evening,

I watched a fantastic documentary about Wikileaks and more specifically Bradly Manning today and thought it was worth sharing.

This documentary covers the enitre Wikileaks saga and includes interviews with:

* Julian Assange
* Daniel Domscheit-Berg, former WikiLeaks spokesman
* David House, Bradley Manning Support Network
* Adrian Lamo, former hacker, threat analyst
* Kevin Poulsen, Wired.com senior editor
* Alan Rusbridger, Guardian editor
* Dean Baquet, New York Times Washington bureau chief
* Daniel Ellsberg, whistleblower

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3119f0fd2977.jpg[/atsimg]

The Forgotten Man

Reporter: Quentin McDermott

Broadcast: 14/02/2011 - ABC Australia

While WikiLeaks boss Julian Assange has been cast as a heroic champion of free speech, his ongoing expose of US foreign policy would not have been possible without the work of Private Bradley Manning. It was Manning who allegedly stole the classified documents published by WikiLeaks. It is Manning who now languishes in a US military prison.

Now reporter Quentin McDermott tells the inside story of Bradley Manning and his daring intelligence heist. David House is one of the few civilians allowed to visit Bradley Manning in jail. He describes the young soldier's mental deterioration and his struggle to deal with long hours of confinement.

He tells the program: "...the US Government is just trying to put immense pressure on him in order to get him to crack open."

In Monday's Four Corners we hear the only recording of Bradley Manning's voice and we listen to the logs of alleged conversations with the man who ultimately betrayed him.

Full Synopsis - ABC Australia

Related Media:

Part 2/3
Part 3/3

It was a fantastic look into Wikileaks and Bradley Manning. A 5/5 rating from me

For extended interviews with above mentioned players please visit: Wikileaks: Key Players ( ABC Australia )

There is also another Wikileaks documentary that was released recently and aired on March 30, 2011 that i wanted to share:

WikiLeaks: War Lies & Videotape

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3c8fffcf9343.jpg[/atsimg]

This compelling documentary investigates the website that has given rise to one of the greatest controversies of the last decade.

WikiLeaks is an international non-profit organisation that publishes submissions of private, secret and classified media from anonymous sources and news leaks. In late 2010, the website courted controversy by publishing hundreds of thousands of classified US diplomatic and military documents.

From the site's inception through to the present, this revealing documentary follows the story of the website's charismatic founder and new enemy number one of the Pentagon - Julian Assange. Assange talks about the motives behind the WikiLeaks organisation and the impact it has had around the globe.

Full Synopsis

Full Episode on ABC IView HD ( Australia Only )

Related Media:

Part 2/3
Part 3/3

Hope you enjoy and i hope it opens your eyes to Wikileaks and makes for some interesting viewing

edit on 11-4-2011 by Havick007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 05:48 AM
link   
As I said the only people to really be hurt by the release of the files and footage are the whistleblowers themselves. Assange is still living as he likes, a celebrity, and Manning and others are in jail or have had their lives ruined, and for what ? I dont see any major changes to Americas foreign policy, treatment of POW`s or any heads rolling at the Pentagon or the Brass of the Army. This had all been a media show for nothing

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 05:57 AM
link   
reply to post by On the level

It's sad and the fact the Manning is now sitting in jail under solitary confinement...

The above documentary actually has some interviews with Adrian Lamo ( The fmr hacker that tipped off the US authorities to Manning and the leaks ) Ironically it wasnt Wikileask security or even computer security in Iraq that got Manning caught.... A hacker of all things!!

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 06:03 AM
link   
Assange promised to release a damaging file about a big bank in the early part of the year. What happened to it? Hopefully the silence by Wikileaks is not with a price.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 06:08 AM
link   
reply to post by wavemaker

I remember that and i actually came across something relating to the banks on the Wikileaks site today after checking the cable releases.

Bank of America using Private Intel Firms to Attack Wikileaks

2011-02-09

In a document titled "The WikiLeaks Threat" three data intelligence companies, Plantir Technologies, HBGary Federal and Berico Technologies, outline a plan to attack Wikileaks. They are acting upon request from Hunton and Williams, a law firm working for Bank of America. The Department of Justice recommended the law firm to Bank of America according to an article in The Tech Herald.

The prosed attacks on WikiLeaks according to the slides include these actions:

■ Feed the fuel between the feuding groups. Disinformation. Create messages around actions of sabotage or discredit the opposing organizations. Submit fake documents and then call out the error.
■ Create concern over the security of the infrastructure. Create exposure stories. If the process is believed not to be secure they are done.
■ Cyber attacks against the infrastructure to get data on document submitters. This would kill the project. Since the servers are now in Sweden and France putting a team together to get access is more straightforward.
■ Media campaign to push the radial and reckless nature of WikiLeaks activities. Sustain pressure. Does nothing for the fanatics, but creates concern and doubt among moderates.
■ Search for leaks. Use social media to profile and identify risky behavior of employees.

Source - Wikileaks Index

Pdf - The Wikileaks Threat by Palantir Technologies

Although i dont think it is exactly what you were refering to, it still has them attacking the banks or to be more specific the banks collaborating to attack them....

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 06:34 AM
link   
I am already getting an feeling this thread will die out..... is it just that everyone has lost interest in the Wikileaks issue or did i post this at a low traffic time or in the wrong forum....

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Star and Flag from me. I don't care what some people say about them I think this story needs more attention

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 07:27 AM
link   
reply to post by clintdelicious

Very true, i have also noticed many topics lately asking about 'what happened to Assange or Wikileaks' and although it is being reported more in Australia, it's amazing how quickly the story drops off after the media hype.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Good thing you pointed out that we still don't know if it was really Manning who leaked the docs. The wikileaks system is anonymous and the only reason we think it's him cause Lamo ratted him out.
Also considering that wikileaks is still in the process of releasing the cables I wouldn't expect the next leaks such as the bank docs to come out anytime soon.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 08:08 AM
link   
reply to post by PsykoOps

Although the chat logs are very compelling perhaps he was just the scapegoat

Or was Lamo a media hound as they make him out to be.....

This could almost do in the disinformation forum

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Lamo is a hacker. Chat logs from a hacker are dubious at best

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 08:11 AM
link   
reply to post by PsykoOps

ohh yes the irony....

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Update:

RE: Ethan McCord -

In the above documentaries, Ethan McCord is interviewed.

For anyone tht doesn't know who Ethan McCord is, he is former member of Bravo Company 2-16, stationed in Iraq. He was on the ground at the scene of Collateral Murder in 2007 and recalls carrying the body of a small boy from the van that was attacked whilst trying to rescue surviors.

McCord recounts massacre:

Lateline Report:

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by On the level
As I said the only people to really be hurt by the release of the files and footage are the whistleblowers themselves. Assange is still living as he likes, a celebrity, and Manning and others are in jail or have had their lives ruined, and for what ? I dont see any major changes to Americas foreign policy, treatment of POW`s or any heads rolling at the Pentagon or the Brass of the Army. This had all been a media show for nothing

"and for what?" you ask?

Well it certainly opened a dialog and made the government realize that, no, the people do not believe their propaganda hook, line, and sinker anymore. It helped usher in a new era of cyber guerrilla warfare against huge corporations. It raised questions about what journalism should be and why we normally censor so much that is truly relevant yet constantly report about what Sheen or Jolie are doing.

I think it made us a much better nation and, in hind-site, this decade will be a historical landmark and will probably be viewed as the groundwork for a completely ethical society.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   

edit on 12-4-2011 by Havick007 because: Could not embed flash media

top topics

join