It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wind power, how much does a windmill cost?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:
MBF

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

Can you provide us a link please? I would like to get some more information. If we can build one for this price, there is no reason that everybody couldn't have one.

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Request for more information granted.

google this:
Air X Marine Wind Turbine — Model# 44446

If you want to DIY then do a google for poormangides. they have a lot of good info, on windmills

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Here, try this on for size.

DYI, total cost a few hundred dollars:

www.mdpub.com...

MBF

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Thanks for the info people. Here is another site I found for DIY.

DIY Wingmill

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 01:20 PM
link   
where can you get the smaller one for only 1 home 3-4 bedroom

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Dear Sir: Where can I buy a windmill for $400?

Thanks,

Andy

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 01:50 PM
link   
In my town we have a pretty huge wind farm been operational for about 2 years now. Funny my electric bill is still raising.

So I would summarize then that its not built to have economic relief but more for carbon emission relief.

There is also plans in the works for a huge solar farm. Great announcement but it only benefits our environment not our pockets.

Gov't announcement

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 01:26 AM
link   
It's unwise to squeeze the wind power of the nature planlessly.If every body put a windmill in their backyards as you said,i'm affraid our nature would be changed greatly because the nature lose lots of its energy.Perhaps there is not enough energy carry some wet air from one place to another,and a drought would happen.

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Valhall

If $40,000 is about how much a windmill costs, then for it to pay off in the 6 to 8 years stated, your normal electric bill must be astronomical. $417 is how much a month it would be and that’s twice as much as we normally pay a month. Using our own average on the high side would take at least 16 years to begin to start paying for itself. That is something we could not possibly do and STILL pay a utility company for the “calm wind” times. And I’m afraid, that because of our location, that $40,000 would be very low to what actual shipping and installation would be. This isn’t a satellite antenna dish.

And now I understand from research that there is no viable way of “storing” the very few times there is an excess. Is this true? And those few that use batteries are actually causing as much or more pollution than they prevent. That’s no good.

Do I have to move to an elevated location, and how do I know if my area has enough wind to even power a windmill?

No one ever talks about these problems.

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 11:23 AM
link   
What do you think Cities do?
Every building effects the wind pattern. Every tree. Every hill and valley both artificial and natural. Just imagine being able to harness the energy caused by the wind tunnel effect by our skyscrapers in downtowns all across the planet...

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Not only are windmills just some feel good attempt at “harnessing” the wind’s energy, but they are killing endangered birds of prey (try Googling that). And without government money, those so eager to build the towering eye sores, most certainly would not.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 12:25 PM
link   

where can i find that exact info w/out having to buy books on it for $ 50 or do i have to suck it up and pay the $50 for the books, also are batteries included in those prices you were quoting? thanks Tim

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Sir,
I am trying to build a permanent magnet generator of 1.5 kw for my wind generator.Pls help me with efficient design.
Regards
R.Manivannan

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Does that include the batteries and generator?

Karen

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 05:00 PM
link   
I have a client in Washoe Valley NV who put up his own windmill for about $18,500. I asked him if he did it to get off the grid, he said heck no, he's staying connected to the grid to sell the excess power back to the supplier. Evidently you can do that here, who knew? He figured about a 5-6 year return on investment. He said the biggest obstacle was positioning the unit on his property so if it fell, it did not fall into his house or onto his neighbors property. I think he said you need about 1 1/2 acres of land to do it properly.

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Denmark is the leading country on windmill tech. We ship to the whole world... even the states.
Basicly you won't see a farm here without it's own windmill or a few.
People can buy into a mill and suck the power or just have it as an investment.

Check out:
Vestas

They are not exactly DYI, but they sure know what they are doing. The first factory started out in my hometown, and was a thriving business

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 03:58 PM
link   
The pre-built wind turbine market seems so vastly overpriced...the best thing to do is to get yourself to a seminar weekend and learn to build your own

here's my adventures on just such a weekend...and damn good fun it was too!

Wind Turbine Build Weekend

we built, between 9 of us, a wind genny that was capable of 1Kw/h in a decent breeze in 1 1/2 days out of scrap steel and wood...the whole unit would cost around £300 to build, based on the plans developed by Hugh Piggott at Scoraig Wind

knowledge is power!

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 11:54 AM
link   
I am for alternative energy, but to power 1 million homes it would be 6.5 trillion dollars to build enough large windmills. If this was accomplished over a twenty year period it wild be 325 million per year. This is only 1 million homes. My numbers are not allowing for interest payments. As a country can we afford this? No. Our incoming administration wants to tax natural gas and coal plants out of existence, how are we going to pay for this type of alternative energy? Could you imagine a large city with 100,000 small windmills on every home, with a bank of batteries in every garage? Based on 100 car batteries per home that would be 10 million batteries. What would the environmental damage be! Horrific I say, because people will not always dispose of the batteries properly. Petrol fuel is limited, but the government needs to approach this in a very careful manner, or our grand children will be paying for generations. Is this the legacy we want to leave? Clean wind energy, but polluted lakes, rivers, ground water from lead and acid.
I have full confidence in the ingenuity of the American people and we will find a clean source of power, but ramming this down our throats is not wise.

Just my opinion

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Here is a lower cost wind turbine.
www.mariahpower.com...

one of my neighbors has one and it is very low noise. the wind on the power lines cause more noise.
Check for small wind tax credit in the US and state credits

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Here is a cool article I found while doing some searches for home made wind generators. Its full of really cool info. It would appear that the average Joe/Jane could build one of these with some success.
Find it here-www.thekevdog.com...

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join