It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For Sale: Used Space Shuttle

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   
I just heard on my local TV News that NASA will be selling the recently retired Shuttles. The newscaster mentioned $29 Million each.

An ATS search yielded this thread from 2009

I did find this article with more info:

NASA plans to announce Tuesday where the four existing space shuttles will wind up after the fleet is retired this summer...

With 21 museums and visitor centers nationwide bidding for the shuttles...

Read more from this Tulsa World article at www.tulsaworld.com...

Sure I'd love to go inside one but didn't taxpayers already fund them? Who gets the dough?

Your thoughts?
edit on 10-4-2011 by kinda kurious because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   
BOOM

i use to want to buy an f-18 if i came into a ton of money but im going to buy a space shuttle hahaha

good find

but in all honesty i can see them ending up at the smithsonian, air and space musuem, and probably outside of cape carnveral and houston

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   
And that price doesnt include an engine... atleast one should be on public display free of charge. We all own a small piece anyway..

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   
SHOW ME THE CAR-FAX!

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by kinda kurious

Sure I'd love to go inside one but didn't taxpayers already fund them? Who gets the dough?

You'd assume NASA..
$100million would pay to launch another spy satellite so they can keep check on us..
BTW, those things would be difficult and expensive to transport..

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   
LOL i hope they don't strip it of the 'guts'!!! All the gold lol

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Hawking

Originally posted by Hawking
SHOW ME THE CAR-FAX!

LOL.
One owner, low miles.

The shuttle Discovery made a graceful landing at Kennedy Space Center today, returning from her final voyage after a remarkable three-decade life of service spanning 39 flights, 5,830 orbits of the planet, 365 days spent aloft and 148 million miles traveled.

www.astronomynow.com...

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Put them on "EBAY"

Q. How much does the Space Shuttle cost? A. The Space Shuttle Endeavour, the orbiter built to replace the Space Shuttle Challenger, cost approximately $1.7 billion.

SOURCE:www.nasa.gov... .html#1

what a bargain !

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   
I think they all belong in museums. Auctioning them off is kinda garage sell-ish, and what about the price $29 million? Why not sell them for at $100 million or more? NASA spent so much money on the shuttle program and they’re basically priceless pieces in our history you'd think they would ask for more money, or at least sell them to the highest bidder if they are going to sell them. They should put them on permanent display in Houston(mission command), Florida(launch site), California(launch site?), and D.C.(capital). But if they want to make states/cities fight over them for the next tourist attraction then I guess that’s what they are going to do...

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinda kurious
[...] Your thoughts?

I suppose they're not still under warranty. And they're known to blow up at very inopportune time, so they're kind of lemons. Otherwise, though, they still work with proper maintenance, and come with proper attachments to visit the Space Station. I suppose some poorer country might be able to get some use out of them if they're cheap enough. Doesn't India have a space program? Maybe they'd be interested.

As for who gets the money, the U.S. already squanders billions of dollars a month on dumb projects, so it's not like it would help balance the budget or anything. How about using the money to help spruce up Cape Canaveral? New carpet. Paint the men's rooms. Put in a Frisbee Golf course. Whatever.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Boeing gets one

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 12:29 AM
link   
I get spacesick......but if anyone comes across a low mileage fully loaded M1A1 Abrahm's battle tank, please let me know.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 07:06 AM
link   
I think it would make a great house for an eccentric and evil zillionaire villain.

Much like this house in my neck of the woods.

sea-fever.org...
edit on 11-4-2011 by jibeho because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 07:34 AM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

That's pretty cool Jibe.
I've seen the typical Railroad Car reestaurants and such. A Space Shuttle domicle would have advantages like the Weightlessness Family Room and ability to jetison trash to curb.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8c883892ff66.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho
I think it would make a great house for an eccentric and evil zillionaire villain.

Much like this house in my neck of the woods.

sea-fever.org...
edit on 11-4-2011 by jibeho because: (no reason given)

I have always thought that was a really cool house, especially given that area. Whenever I take the Miller Ferry over to PIB or Middle Bass I see that thing. Neat idea, IMO.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 08:17 AM
link   
I guess I need to start playing the lotto. I always wanted a shuttle of my own, convert it to a house!

One had better end up here at Kennedy Space Center. One BELONGS here! If one doesn't stay here I will be very upset

I want Discovery to stay right here

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by darrman

Boeing gets one

I dont want them to get one!! They don't need it.

The KSC and other space related places where the shuttles were involved should get the shuttles.

I know boeing had involvement but they don't need one! Let them be where people can see them

you still have the best avy on here

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   
I think they should take one of them, outfit it with all kinds of cutting edge tech, cameras and such, a library of info and them fire it into deep space. Use it like the Voyagers, to continue its exploration.

Let's see just how fast we can get it to go.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   
I'd love for these to get sold to a private group like Virgin who seem to be making strides in the commercial space market. Being able to study one of these shuttles closely would go a long way.

NASA is one of the few public endeavors I don't mind my tax dollars going to.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn
I'd love for these to get sold to a private group like Virgin who seem to be making strides in the commercial space market. Being able to study one of these shuttles closely would go a long way.

But I suspect 30 year old technology might not be of too much value. I might be wrong but I'd gander Branson is approaching it from an elitist first class passengers only angle. Perhaps like he did with the Concorde.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/edbce065b8b4.jpg[/atsimg]

Besides I'd prefer it be made available for public viewing by those who paid for it.

NASA is one of the few public endeavors I don't mind my tax dollars going to.

Temperature in Hell just hit 32 degrees, I agree.

edit on 11-4-2011 by kinda kurious because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join