It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A step ahead to a new generation…

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   
I was browsing my local reading sites and came across this heartwarming story; at least it is heartwarming to me. I know as I grew up I had an Aunt with a food disorder of anorexia and then my mother was an over eater. They are both in a way a pandemic of today’s world of the child who must be a size 2 to be considered pretty or acceptable in certain area. I have children of my own and have suffered many ends of the spectrum of fighting the never ending battle that is in your mind when you have to put food in proportion and correctly in your life if that makes sense. I know that these conditions do not just affect the females of the world but also the males, it is a universal condition. It is wonderful to see someone who not only over came and still fights her condition, but also is passing on such a valuable lesson for so many of all generations to see the reality of Barbie in real life.

“ I dressed Barbie in my old clothes. The skirt she still has on today is a reminder of who I once was. That skirt, a size double zero, used to slip off my waist when I was struggling with anorexia. I put it on Barbie to serve as a reminder that the way Barbie looks, the way I once looked, is not healthy and is not "normal," whatever normal might mean. My Barbie's role is simple. She grabs the attention of apathetic onlookers and makes them think and talk about an issue that thrives in silence. In the last four years, Barbie has surpassed my expectations, attracting attention and sparking conversation among listeners and readers across the nation.”

More "Get Real, Barbie" statistics:*
• There are two Barbie dolls sold every second in the world.
• The target market for Barbie doll sales is young girls ages 3-12 years of age.
• A girl usually has her first Barbie by age 3, and collects a total of seven dolls during her childhood.
• Over a billion dollars worth of Barbie dolls and accessories were sold in 1993, making this doll big business and one of the top 10 toys sold.
• If Barbie were an actual women, she would be 5'9" tall, have a 39" bust, an 18" waist, 33" hips and a size 3 shoe.
• Barbie calls this a "full figure" and likes her weight at 110 lbs.
• At 5'9" tall and weighing 110 lbs, Barbie would have a BMI of 16.24 and fit the weight criteria for anorexia. She likely would not menstruate.
• If Barbie was a real woman, she'd have to walk on all fours due to her proportions.
• Slumber Party Barbie was introduced in 1965 and came with a bathroom scale permanently set at 110 lbs with a book entitled "How to Lose Weight" with directions inside stating simply "Don't eat."

Just thought it was worth a look to see that good can happen even when the world is falling around us.

Ainge

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Sorry if I posted in the wrong area, was not sure where to post. Please move if needed.

Thanks,
Ainge

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ainge
• If Barbie were an actual women, she would be 5'9" tall, have a 39" bust, an 18" waist, 33" hips and a size 3 shoe.
• Barbie calls this a "full figure" and likes her weight at 110 lbs.
• At 5'9" tall and weighing 110 lbs, Barbie would have a BMI of 16.24 and fit the weight criteria for anorexia. She likely would not menstruate.
• If Barbie was a real woman, she'd have to walk on all fours due to her proportions.

Interesting thread. I knew that her measurements were unrealistic, but I never knew the details.

Originally posted by Ainge
• Slumber Party Barbie was introduced in 1965 and came with a bathroom scale permanently set at 110 lbs with a book entitled "How to Lose Weight" with directions inside stating simply "Don't eat."

I have bulimia.. so this part is craazay.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Ainge

Wow, so sorry, forgot the link I see up there...

www.huffingtonpost.com...

Ainge

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by heyJude

Hey Jude,

Ok wow, sorry I did not know I could find out who responded by checking my mail box. I am so sorry for what you must contend with. I was an overeater and bloomed up to 326. I now weigh 120 to 125 and have issues with eating believe it or not. A lot led up to that of course, medical, self-image, self-hate. I was so shocked to see about barbi as well.

Hope to see you around more and thanks for the post reply even if I am behind in getting back to you.

Ainge

Oh yes, thank you for sharing, I know that the topic is very personal.

new topics

top topics

join