It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it Possible to hook 2 pc's together?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Hey folks!

I have two desktop pcs. My old one and of course my new one which I now use. They are both Dells so Im hoping with my question that they should at least be compatible.

Is there anyway I can run the old one through the new one so that I can access files on there and have it use my new keyboard, mouse, monitor, that I use now? I have things on the old like a couple programs that arent made anymore so I can't move them. I really dont want to have to go back and forth hooking and unhooking either, though I can if I have too.

Just curious if there is a way to make the old one act like a external perhaps? Thanks in advance!

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
sure you can create a private network..or connect them via usb..there are loads of possibilitys

they just need a connection..like usb,same router etc

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Yep theres some free software to do it it lets you just go off one screen and straight onto the second screen as if the two computers were one.
synergy2.sourceforge.net...
this gives you all the info you need
You can also run VNC client server software to allow seeing the second computer on the one screen, but its slower , dosnt normally allow sound and the frame rate sucks..

edit on 10-4-2011 by sprocket2cog because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Sounds like you need a Ethernet crossover cable
Do a little google search, you should pick up on it quick, Good luck.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by sprocket2cog
Yep theres some free software to do it it lets you just go off one screen and straight onto the second screen as if the two computers were one.
synergy2.sourceforge.net...
this gives you all the info you need
You can also run VNC client server software to allow seeing the second computer on the one screen, but its slower , dosnt normally allow sound and the frame rate sucks..

edit on 10-4-2011 by sprocket2cog because: (no reason given)

OP there are plenty of options at your disposal.
I for one used VNC client software for a couple months and I believe I would still be using it if my internet connection wasn't so shoddy. I also upgraded to Windows 7 and the free version is NOT compatible with Windows 7. So something to think about.

Take care and I hope you find something to suit your needs.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by onehuman

you need a crossover cable, allows 2 computers to share info back and forth.
crossover cable

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Get the filezilla-project.org/ server and client and create a private FTP system - better throughput (speed) in most cases.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   
You could simply just put the hard drive into the new computer from the old or copy the data of it to the new hard drive.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   
The way I've done this is via virtualization... I use a disk imaging software to make the old hard drive into a vmware disk image, then I just setup vmware to run the old OS .. it's like a nice timecapsule ..

My old Windows XP OS runs inside of Windows 7 via vmware

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   
yup!

i recently hooked up my ps3 to my pc to 'customize' my ps3.

i had to rearrange some of the IP addresses, but its simple enough to do.

then i got to 'customize' my ps3!!!

i have zero wireless, cause wireless is not too good for you. so i took my cable internet cord, and unplugged it from the cable modem. it was still connected to my pc. then i took the cord, and plugged it into my ps3.

but i had to run a program on both systems that would allow them to talk to each other. both programs were freeware. i just went to CNET to download the official versions of the freeware.

after i changed the internet connections, i opened up the programs, and then started transferring and arranging things on my ps3. then when i was done, i went back into 'internet connections' on the pc and just hit everything back to automatic.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   
would it just be easier to get a monitor switch? I need to have both pcs on anyway don't I?Or maybe I dont understand the switch? Wouldnt that do pretty much the same thing, yet keep the pc's separate? I mean they would still be their own and the switch uses the one monitor but reads the two different computers?

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   
I have a windows7 desktop and a laptop running XP sp3, I use the MaxiVista program on the window7 and the server program on the laptop, works through a network...can try for free with limited features, but the actual program runs about $40. the program will allow you to operate a second computer by remote, and also has the extended screen feature.

MaxiVista

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 12:28 AM
link   

new topics

top topics

join