It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Laptops and Other Electronics May Be Seized on Entry to US

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/73cf49b175ab.jpg[/atsimg]

If you can’t let a day go by without accessing your personal data and files, you’d better think twice about crossing the border back into the U.S. with your computer. That’s because digital devices such as a laptop computer can be seized at the border without a warrant and sent to a secondary site for forensic inspection.

That ruling from the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit last week is the second in less than a year that allows the U.S. government to conduct offsite searches of digital devices seized at the border without a warrant, Network World reported.

This could have big implications for business travelers, in particular, who are increasingly mobile and frequently carry laptops and other digital devices containing sensitive personal and company information across our borders. If your data reveals traces of criminality or illegal kinkiness when examined, your troubles will go way beyond temporary data denial.

The Ninth Circuit Court ruling came in a case involving a man whose laptop was seized at the Mexican border when he re-entered the country at Lukeville, Ariz. Because he was a registered sex offender, custom officials confiscated his laptop computer for inspection.

Live Science: Full Article

Yet another notch in the "getting all up in your stuff" belt. I could probably give an opinion on both sides of this argument. I can see the positives it would have on National Security. On the other side, I can see where this could be used to obtain proprietary information, without a warrant no less.

I found two ATS threads that were both authored in 2008 that practically predict this new law.

Leave Your Information at the Boarder: The Seizing of Electronic Devices
and
U.S. Defends Laptop Searches At The Border

Interesting times we're in.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Oh, you Americans and your freedom! You are the envy of the world.
edit on 10-4-2011 by heyJude because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   

I could probably give an opinion on both sides of this argument. I can see the positives

I'm right up there with you on that. I am kind of stuck, on the one hand yeah, I can see how it would be to catch a sex offender, but I think they are using that as a way to kind of paint everyone into a corner so as not to oppose that measure. I am sure, most of us have nothing to hide, but if we land on one of those watch lists, they might want to check our stuff, I don't like people in my business for privacy reasons.

Why are we, the American people always made out to be the enemies? I bet if we complain about this, along with all the other laws designed to invade our privacy, we will be considered enemies of the state. I don't know, my thoughts are in over-drive these past few weeks, with all the insane actions taken by our government, this just adds another thing to the mix. I think that is the point, get everyone overwhelmed with these different issues so as to make everyone just give up and stop trying.

Just a thought - How about we reverse it on them, to make sure they are not committing any crimes? Oh yeah, wikileaks did that. And the government doesn't like that. It's ok for the government to get in everyone's business (the very people they are supposed to serve) but we can't look into what they are up to, despite them having to represent us.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Majestic Lumen

I think as long as ATS continues to be around, we can at least remain a thorn in the side, in the form of a world wide community based opinion, because it's not only Americans at risk of losing rights and having their privacy put on blast. It's happening globally bit by bit.
edit on 4/10/2011 by UberL33t because:

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   
OMG ....same as food... you might bring an virus with you....

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Why are we, the American people always made out to be the enemies? I bet if we complain about this, along with all the other laws designed to invade our privacy, we will be considered enemies of the state.

Oh so true!! Regarding this issue, there are two things that I am really sick of.

1. Our own US government (and others I'm sure) is constantly devising more ways to watch and keep tabs on it's own citizens in the name of public safety. The become ever more invasive and far reaching over time. Cameras on every street corner and in every building etc, etc.

2. Those of us to are always saying "these kinds of things shouldn't bother you if you have nothing to hide". I just will never understand this reasoning. It is invasion of privacy, plain and simple. I realise that people shouldn't have any expectation of privacy in public areas but we are certainly well on our way to becoming the fabled 'police state' where enemy number one is US.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
I know that America is suppose to be a Free country but what part of America makes it more free than any other country?

What good side of this? there is no "good" side to this,thats what they want you to think, its just another excuse to find you guilty of something. Like maybe if you downloaded an illegal torrent file or other crap like that just to keep you in check or Jail time and then you have to Pay a $1000$ fine.
Its like saying that a cop has the right to stop every citizen in the US to check if they have a jail broken PSP or Ipod or even Iphone. and then people are like "oh the cops are doing the right thing, they are just trying to stop piracy thats all". WAR ON DRUGS- WAR ON PIRACY ,
Later they are going to authorize to Inspect your home once a month. Every single private stuff is going to be inspected in your house once a month just to make sure your not doing anykind of illegal activity even a tiny one. And people are going to be ok with it because "oh the government is just trying to protect american citizens thats all". maybe even install cameras

I know alot of people all over the globe might think "this is not the case, this will never happen", but how many times has that been said and even the worst happens.
edit on 10-4-2011 by Whirpool because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by AidanK

Yes, thats another thing we should consider where you say "these kinds of things shouldn't bother you if you have nothing to hide"., its just another mind game to make you fall into their trap.
Psychology game to get you into thinking you are guilty. for some reason we always fall for the same old thing.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by UberL33t

Laptops and Other Electronics May Be Seized on Entry to US

Unless of course they are new, in the box, from some third world labor camp where someone's 18 hour day was making them for you.

Then they are not seized, they are offered to those who sleep outside an Apple store waiting for theirs on launch day, using their iPad v1 as a pillow.

In that scenario the only thing seized are you very own slave wages for your modern day pound of corn.

When my bullet comes it will shoot me through the bird I am giving this technocratic society, the overseers and the empire's master.

Peace.
edit on 10-4-2011 by zroth because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join