It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Bringing Dinosaurs Back To Life! Will They Succeed?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   
I really, really hope they do this within my lifetime (I'm only 20, so I've got a while lol). I was obsessed with Dinosaurs as a child, and to hear something as astounding as this just makes me feel nostalgic. I've always dreamed of going to a real Jurassic Park, and it looks like it could be a very real possibility!

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by OrionHunterX

Alien invasion..... wormhole...... Blackhole....... Asteroid......

We all thought the end would come from one of these categories....

None of us realized it would come from a lab, by scientists working on Dino DNA, who scratched their heads, looked at their colleague and said -

"Ya know... I have an idea"

Did we not learn anyting from Jurassic Park? My job is difficult enough dealing with armed subjects.. The last thing I need is to be stalked by a group of velociraptors during the standoff.

However, replacing K-9 units with Velociraptor units could be an intresting idea....

/wonders off to lend thought to paper...

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Ha. I know Don Patton. I have also seen him during a week long lecture series that he spoke. He sent most evolutionary biologist packing the first day. He quickly disassembled their arguments rather quickly. So it is interesting to see the opening quote regarding evolution then seeing him.quoted about a relief in Cambodia later on. He is also in pursuit of Noah's Ark and has an interesting theory regarding dinosaurs on there.
edit on 11-4-2011 by sirjunlegun because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Good post Orion.

Indeed, the philosophical is the only barrier.

Judging by the way we mistreat, harvest and cull our existing fellow species I hardly think we have the right to resurrect additional species into this hellish world.

Research and funds would be better focused on the production synthetic meats i.e. tissues produced in a lab and not connected to a sentient livestock.

We've got our priorities all wrong. We proven we can't manage our own species and yet we're still insistent on (re)introducing additional species.

If it does go ahead, I'll wager that domesticated pygmy pteranadons will be all the rage.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 12:04 AM
link   
The only thing driving people to actually support this, is their own selfish greed too see a dinosaur first hand. After you get over the fact, youll come to realize the reality of what people are trying to do.
1. Yes dinosaurs are much stronger then humans and would be crazy hard to maintain
2. They dont have the same surroundings as they did thousands of years ago, it wouldnt be the same, most of the living dinosaurs would be depressed and die of depression. . . it happens alot with animals, that should not be held in captivity.
3. WE would have no idea what to expect, people claim that this isnt playing God, our world is not fit for dinosaurs, that is going beyond the means of nature. there is nothing positive about this for the dinosaur except to be showboated around the world.
4. Remeber King Kong?, I feel it could be very similar to that situation
5. The dinosaurs would live very unhealthy lives, not being able to be in its orginial surroundings

Just think about the fact of the matter after you get over how cool it would be.

edit on 11-4-2011 by santjime because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 12:06 AM
link   
reply to post by freedish

i don't believe they could successfully do this. you can't remake what God destroyed.

Perhaps God did not destroy them but has merely preserved them by encapculating the dna. If they do revive the species, well guess what? God did not destroy them. Yay!!!! I loved Michael Chrictons books. Jurassic Park wasthe most fascinating for me.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Due to the amount of oxygen in the air, they would be much smaller today.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Wait hold on a second. Did i miss something? Since when was evolution 100% confirmed? Dinosaur DNA found in chickens. Doesn't that alone prove that evolution has to be real on some level. Does that not also debunk most creationist religions?

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Uhhhh... Why don't they just do it already? We only have a handful of months left on this rock...

The masses never get quality entertainment.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Ok so I agree with the fact of bringing the dinosaurs back. But seriously, dinos being around a few thousand years ago?
The paintings and stone carvings prove nothing. They can be portrayals of some civilizations myths. I also don't believe these supposed humans being buried with dinosaurs. This sounds totally fabricated to me.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 12:30 AM
link   

For me, this proves that you cannot believe dinosaurs are 45 million, trillion billion years old, and the world's age itself as deeply in question, go christian creationists!

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by blarged
Wait hold on a second. Did i miss something? Since when was evolution 100% confirmed? Dinosaur DNA found in chickens. Doesn't that alone prove that evolution has to be real on some level. Does that not also debunk most creationist religions?

proof of evolution can be found inside the human body, namely the appendix.

@ other postsers comments
There is a good reasons dinos died out, and there is good reason not to go down the road of reintroducing an animal that would quickly find itself at the very top of the food chain with no natural enemies to limit the numbers.

Its not out of the realm of possibility either of one of these things escaping... We have seen already how some of the species on this planet have been able to reproduce virgin mary style. Somehow I think the video of the cat in alaska scaring off the bear would have a much different ending if we replace the bear with T-rex.

On a side not, A T-Rex hunt and BBQ could feed a few villages for weeks.
edit on 11-4-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Please God Please let the Scientist bring back the dinosaur's. I would love to mount those 50 cals onto the the T-Rex and a saddle the monster and roam around Nebraska. He would be my best friend i would be the DIN0 COWBOY. It would be a triumph of the human ingenuity to bring back these wondrous animals, some of us have dreamed about this day all there life. It's About time Science Fiction has caught up with Science fact.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by kushking

I can see it now.... You.. in Nebraska with Spot the T-Rex...

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra

I can see it now.... You.. in Nebraska with Spot the T-Rex...

totally.... I would solve crime and feed him chihuahua's for treats, but in all seriousness I REALLY WANT MY DINOSAUR. I really think i would cry like a little kid if i saw one in real life.
edit on 11-4-2011 by kushking because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 12:56 AM
link   

These things rock.... and the dude egging on the dinosaur to eat one of the kids makes me laugh everytime.

edit on 11-4-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 01:04 AM
link   
Bringing back a dinosaur will revolutionize everything we ever thought we knew about science and biological history. I guarentee that a dinosaur we resurrect will appear as nothing like what could ever imagine from just some bones in the ground.

Of course the dinosaur we bring back will not be raised with the instincts and knowledge that it would learn from generations of dinosaurs before it. That is what I am interested in: will we revive a fearsome beast from the past, or will it turn out to be the most psychologically scarred and fearful creature in existence?

What's also interesting is the legends of old of knights slaying dragons... There's only one prophecy that I know of that speaks of a dragon coming back around the year of 2012...

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 01:21 AM
link   
I know that people will argue with me but this will never happen. Plain and simple. It would be cool however..but it aint gonna happen

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 01:28 AM
link   
reply to post by DeepThoughtCriminal

Still I'd hate to be the Field Officer that is responsible for roaming around the park preforming maintenance in park structures, fences and tracks..lol

Would be like serving up a home delivered meal to the park residents..LOL

YA, I think I'll stick to regular national parks thanks just the same ....

edit on 4/11/2011 by Ironclad because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 01:29 AM
link   
The fact that they think they can "reverse engineer" some type of dinosaur from chicken DNA is very old news to anybody who follows this type of stuff. Still wont be a real dinosaur though, as we have no real dinosaur DNA to compare it to (despite what you think). Bits and pieces just don't count.

Bringing dinos back to life via preserved DNA is pure and total fantasy. Period. But, bring dino-like animals into existence via genetic modifications of existing DNA is able to be done. It is simply a matter of money, that's all. There isn't enough scientific study money to go around in order to fund such a project, however if capitalism took hold of this, then yes it could be done...as it would be profitable. Think about it.....never before seen animals at every zoo in the world, endless profitable documentaries selling advertising talking about the subject, news selling add time based on viewership interested in the (admittedly short) news cycle this would develop. If it can be profitable, and if the right person can convince the right people that it is, we will see this happen.

But they wont be anything close to dinosaurs, and anybody that says otherwise doesn't know anything about this subject other than the fantasy they read on the internet. You know they type, the folks that wont read real articles about it, but rather read folk's opinions about such articles (which are often ignorant and embarrassing). I would love to fund making this happen, but it would cost the same amount as it would to develop a best selling designer pharmaceutical......

Yeah, I know reality sucks, but I live in it and so do you....despite what you want to believe, think you know, or what you read on the internet.
edit on 11-4-2011 by MainLineThis because: can't spell worth a crap

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join